Android Lenovo Mobiles After Sales Service & Build quality is a Joke

I have been using iphones for past many 6-7 years. warranty is one of the main reasons i buy the iphone. I have replaced at least 5-6 times in the last few years. Never ever faced any problems with the replacement. usually the replacement is provided in 2-3 days time. Many times i have kept iphone in the upper shirt pocket while riding in rain, not on purpose but by mistake. Never seen the indicator strip color change. I mean the couple of Indicators which can be seen without opening the phone. Have got ipad also replaced few times and never faced any problem. My first ipad was replaced because of very very minor ghosting on the screen, i am sure other brand service center would not even acknoledged the problem. Just stating my experience with the apple after sales.

Your experience does not mean that everybody else has the same experience. I personally know a couple of people who were denied warranty for iPhone citing water damage when no such thing happened. Exposure to extreme humidity and even heat can change the indicator and then you will be at the mercy of the Apple service centers whims and fancy.

There is a reason why a class action suit was filed against Apple in US over unfair denial of warranty citing water damage based on unreliable water indicator strips. 3M that supplied the indicator strips for iPhone's themselves declared that the strips are not reliable and that they can change color due to other factors like heat. Apple settled out of court for 53 Million. Look it up if you want.

As for Apple support in general, maybe some people had good experiences with them, but I didn't think it was it can be called good or even bad based on my experience. It was ugly. After a batch of 16 Mac Book Pro's went bad after an year of use (battery swelling and logic board going bad in some), the Apple service center guy tells that we are using these machines for too long each day (i.e. 8 hours in a day) and that that they are not designed for that much load and that they would have to void warranty in future we keep using them that way. Mind you these are not Mac Books, but 17" Mac Book Pro's that were supposed to be portable workstations and purchased for 2 Lac each.

We need to accept that a lot of customers do try to pull a fast one with the CC and vice-versa. Probably we deserve each other!
On the brighter side, CC is improving in India.

After a batch of 16 Mac Book Pro's went bad after an year of use (battery swelling and logic board going bad in some), the Apple service center guy tells that we are using these machines for too long each day (i.e. 8 hours in a day) and that that they are not designed for that much load and that they would have to void warranty in future we keep using them that way. Mind you these are not Mac Books, but 17" Mac Book Pro's that were supposed to be portable workstations and purchased for 2 Lac each.

What utter tripe really! Working for too long?!?

ATnT recently got sued for FUP.. Maybe time for some people to sue apple on this as well.

We need to accept that a lot of customers do try to pull a fast one with the CC and vice-versa. Probably we deserve each other!

:facepalm:
Forget the veracity of the claim you made.. two wrongs make it a right eh?

What utter tripe really! Working for too long?!?

These were actually machines bought by my former company. They were from the 2007 batch which were equipped with 8600GT GPUs and it has later come out that these have a high failure rate due to the GPU. These also had battery issues with the battery swelling to the extent that the bulge made the track pad buttons could not be clicked. Initially they came up with this "you are using it too long" nonsense and when some of us called BS on it, they went on to blame it on hibernation. Apparently some of the guys would just put the machine in hibernate mode rather than shutting them down completely. Based on their input our IT dept had even sent a memo to all employees asking them to not use hibernate and shut down the MBP's after work. It was utter nonsense and they were simply trying to find some way to get out of providing warranty.

In another instance, one of the machines was over heating and hanging (CPU temp going to 90+ deg) , and they said they won't support because there were multiple OS installed on it on different partitions (Tiger & Leopard). I don't know for sure whether this was typical of an Apple service center or because it was an Apple service center in India, but the kind of technical and product support that I saw was ugly to say the least. The Unibody Mac Book Pros are one of the best built workstation replacement portables and the only decent products that are worth buying ever made by Apple since 1997 after their reincarnation. But the kind of service that I saw from their service center left a lot to be desired. It is inconsistent and unpredictable.

ATnT recently got sued for FUP.. Maybe time for some people to sue apple on this as well.

If you are taking about the FCC action against AT&T, It was not because of FUP. It was because of false advertising and failure to notify people when they changed the rules. AT&T gave offered an unlimited connection on contract without specifying that there would be any throttling and later they started severely throttling users after a data limit without prior notice and without giving any option for users to opt out of the plan without paying the termination penalty.

Phone is not detecting SIM cards. This is too much.
Switching to Blackberry Soon.

Having problems with my lenovo p780 as a backup phone? Looks like bricked.
Where's the service centre in Hyderabad?

I'm not able to find a place where it can be Serviced...

^ Last week my phone also stopped working and stuck in Lenovo boot logo. It was running stock rom without any root. I had to reinstall the factory rom to restore back to working status

Lenovo service Worst than Micromax as per local service centre reviews. Nobody to answer the phones also. Similar experience with Xiaomi..

No more buying phones from Lenovo, Motorola (acquired by lenovo), Xiaomi, Xolo etc now..

Now branded phones only..

Having problems with my lenovo p780 as a backup phone? Looks like bricked.
Where's the service centre in Hyderabad?

I'm not able to find a place where it can be Serviced...

Begumpet. The lane after sholay restuarant. It's in the lane end, HCL touch services. You can find it on justdial try One plus service center.

@drkrack Define branded phones?

Major Phone Brands
Samsung, LG, Sony, Apple, Nokia & BlackBerry - those who have well established service centres in India (& not on the number of mobiles they sell) . I thought it was obvious, Lenovo is a major brand in laptops not in mobiles, so will be Dell & HP.

Begumpet. The lane after sholay restuarant. It's in the lane end, HCL touch services. You can find it on justdial try One plus service center.

OK, thanks, I'll check tomorrow.

Even I am going there, Hopefully we'll meet :p

Motorola phones build quality is on par with other premium phones, say Lenovo build quality is 50% of Motorola.
The only problem you will have is definitely the 3rd party service center.

Motorola won't qualify on the basis of service reach.
Even HTC doesn't have good service reach in Hyderabad.
But both the brands make good, premium usually problem free phones.

Went to lenovo service, they say : it needs a motherboard replacement around 8k !
Mostly will check aftermarket repair, no point investing so much.

They handle service for xiaomi, opo also. Screen replacement for Opo is taking 4 weeks.

Back