Latency Issue In Wifi Routers

Does anyone knows what is latency?Why a wifi router has high latency issue than a wired one? Why a single band has low latency issue than Ac & Dual band routers? Can anyone suggest some routers which has low latency i.e. 1.ms or max 2ms even when you transfer HD movies on Television? Need some suggestion on this topic

What latency figures are you getting?

Wifi is a shared medium and is half-duplex, so there's always bound to be higher latency depending on how crowded the network is.

What latency figures are you getting?

Wifi is a shared medium and is half-duplex, so there's always bound to be higher latency depending on how crowded the network is.
Normally 6ms or 8ms..but sometimes above two digit.i upload an image for current latency.

Attachments

• Latency issue.jpg
    Latency issue.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 132
It depends on a combination of several things, and not just bands.

If you have several devices connected, you will have a higher latency, since it will take more time for the router to respond - please read up on time division multiplexing

If you have a dual band router, then separating the devices will result in less crowded bands, hence you will have better latency - please read up on keeping devices on separate band.

Coming to newer devices - AC, they have better radios and these can transfer more data per second, resulting in better speeds and latency is improved as well.

Coming to my home setup, I have a TP Link 740N as main and TP Link 840N as a repeater. Both are running stock. There are 4-5 devices connected and I am getting ping responses of 1 ms to my router.

Coming to your latency, can you tell me the response on LAN?

Last edited:
Back