Laser Measure

ibose

Skilled
I am looking for indoor usage within 5/6k. Primary requirements include portability, reasonable accuracy and user replaceable batteries. I see that Bosch has multiple models, some with reasonable reviews on Amazon among a deluge of Chinese options.
Any suggestions based on first hand experience ?

Have a GLM40 and it's been *flawless for the past almost 2 years I've had it.
It'll do better than the ±2mm in the spec sheet if you're measuring to a stationary reference plane.

It's compact enough to carry in a pocket but that also means a smaller base for the meter to rest on.

The body is plastic + rubberized finish but has held up well.

*The 45°C operating temperature limit is there for a reason....as I found out using it outdoors later.
It'll fail to give you a reading past that temperature.

I am looking for indoor usage within 5/6k. Primary requirements include portability, reasonable accuracy and user replaceable batteries. I see that Bosch has multiple models, some with reasonable reviews on Amazon among a deluge of Chinese options.
Any suggestions based on first hand experience ?
I have been using GLM 500 for over two years now, for home DIY purposes. IIRC it's the cheapest model from BOSCH India, that has the tilt sensor, which is a key for accuracy.
With tilt sensor, it's easy to level the device to ensure that you are not tilting the device and taking inaccurate measurement.

The added advantage of this is having a digital spirit level and an inclination measure.
Another feature is indirect height measurement AKA practical implementation of Pythagoras theorem.

Also comes with auto display rotation feature, area & volume measure, unit conversions and add/remove measurements right on the device.
Quite handy to do differential/indirect measurements, which is a key in laser measurement.
Unlike a conventional tape, where you can literally measure anything, laser measure needs an edge for pointing to the end point of your measurement, which is not possible on a flat surface without any edge.
So, either you can purchase a target plate/card like this or use the +/- buttons on the device to point to the next available edge and do a differential measurement using the minus button.

There is also an option called continuous measure, where you can point to any edge and move the device forward/backward like a tape and take live reading, this is only useful for cases where you need to measure a small flat surface without any edge and when you dont have any target card.

I had to elaborate a bit on the above points coz laser measure doesn't come cheap and when investing, I'd prefer having an overall better device which costs a bit more and would be useful for multiple purposes,
than having a basic model with single purpose.

Another useful information is the availability/compatibility with Bosch MeasureOn app, which they advertise only with the compatible bluetooth models.
This is pushed more with models that have bluetooth/built in camera, where the measuring device can be paired with your smart phone and an image of the measuring area can be uploaded to the app
and the measurements can be overlayed on the image directly. With connected models, you just need to select the area you are currenly measuring on the app, take the actual measurement using the laser device
and the readings are overlayed on the image automatically. Although the app is not so intuitive, one can actually use the app without ever owning a laser measure, as the app allows you to upload images from gallery, overlay measurements manually. The only benefit of connected devices are probably less manual work in a professional environment.

GLM-500 (red laser) is replaced by the latest green laser tech model GLM-50.
Green laser dot is brighter compared to the red laser one and quite useful if your usecase involves outdoor measurements.
The only differences I see over GLM-500 are the upgraded green laser, improved memory (20 vs 30 previous readings), more rugged model
and the dual power source compatibilty. These work with both AA battery and Bosch's li-ion battery pack.

I have been using GLM 500 for over two years now, for home DIY purposes. IIRC it's the cheapest model from BOSCH India, that has the tilt sensor, which is a key for accuracy.
With tilt sensor, it's easy to level the device to ensure that you are not tilting the device and taking inaccurate measurement.

The added advantage of this is having a digital spirit level and an inclination measure.
Another feature is indirect height measurement AKA practical implementation of Pythagoras theorem.

Also comes with auto display rotation feature, area & volume measure, unit conversions and add/remove measurements right on the device.
Quite handy to do differential/indirect measurements, which is a key in laser measurement.
Unlike a conventional tape, where you can literally measure anything, laser measure needs an edge for pointing to the end point of your measurement, which is not possible on a flat surface without any edge.
So, either you can purchase a target plate/card like this or use the +/- buttons on the device to point to the next available edge and do a differential measurement using the minus button.

There is also an option called continuous measure, where you can point to any edge and move the device forward/backward like a tape and take live reading, this is only useful for cases where you need to measure a small flat surface without any edge and when you dont have any target card.

I had to elaborate a bit on the above points coz laser measure doesn't come cheap and when investing, I'd prefer having an overall better device which costs a bit more and would be useful for multiple purposes,
than having a basic model with single purpose.

Another useful information is the availability/compatibility with Bosch MeasureOn app, which they advertise only with the compatible bluetooth models.
This is pushed more with models that have bluetooth/built in camera, where the measuring device can be paired with your smart phone and an image of the measuring area can be uploaded to the app
and the measurements can be overlayed on the image directly. With connected models, you just need to select the area you are currenly measuring on the app, take the actual measurement using the laser device
and the readings are overlayed on the image automatically. Although the app is not so intuitive, one can actually use the app without ever owning a laser measure, as the app allows you to upload images from gallery, overlay measurements manually. The only benefit of connected devices are probably less manual work in a professional environment.

GLM-500 (red laser) is replaced by the latest green laser tech model GLM-50.
Green laser dot is brighter compared to the red laser one and quite useful if your usecase involves outdoor measurements.
The only differences I see over GLM-500 are the upgraded green laser, improved memory (20 vs 30 previous readings), more rugged model
and the dual power source compatibilty. These work with both AA battery and Bosch's li-ion battery pack.
Thanks a lot for that comprehensive response. I went with the GLM-50.

Back