Laptops Laptop with SSD....Computing Nirvana

sydras

Skilled
Circa 2014, I'd bought a Lenovo Z50-70 15.6 inch laptop for my father-in-law to use. It came with Windows 8.1 pre-installed and a 1TB HDD.

Coming from the days of DOS and having used Win 95,98,XP and 7 in my office laptop, I had placed full faith in Microsoft to bring any latest hardware to it's knees. I wasn't disappointed. Everything ran sl-o-o-w on it. Even accessing the internet through a Tata Indicom Photon Plus (yes I know it's a PoS service) dongle was slower on this Windows 8.1 laptop as compared to browsing with the same dongle on my HP 6470b ProBook company laptop running Windows 7.

At the time, I could not delve further into why a brand new laptop ran so poorly. Come early 2016 and my FIL gave the laptop back to me (I guess he'd had enough) for my wife to use. The thing still ran like a PoS and my wife had entrusted me with the task of getting it "fixed". Between work and home, I was just fed up of trying to optimize the OS and began to h-a-t-e Microsoft with a vengeance, and what they'd done to a proper desktop OS.

My wife finally gave up on me and through contact of hers, put me in touch with an IT guy to "help" me with this and another unrelated (IP surveillance camera) problem. Grudgingly acknowledging my inability and disinclination to help due to a lack of time and knowledge of recent Windows OSes, I had a word with him. But, as it turns out, I was pleasantly surprised to meet him and just talk to a fellow techie.

I'd asked him to replace my laptop HDD with an SSD and replace Windows 8.1 with Windows 7. He suggested that I upgrade to Windows 10 however, since I'm eligible for a free upgrade. I did not agree to it but I asked him to decide what was best.

The laptop was returned to me with a Samsung Pro 128GB SSD and Windows 10 installed. After using it for a couple of days, I was blown away by how it would perform. I always knew that an SSD would make a lot of difference but experience just b-l-e-w my mind. I've opened over 30 tabs in Chrome (I have only 4GB of memory) and yet, the OS did not flinch. Hibernating and resuming is a breeze. The laptop is so silent now that there are no/less moving parts.

In conclusion, I believe the turnaround was achieved by a combination of the OS and the SSD. I think that Windows 10 though bloated, seems to be much better than Windows 7 (yes, my office laptop with a 500GB HDD still crawls in Windows 7 for even the most basic of tasks. I never bought into the notion that 7 ran better than XP and based on what I've experienced, I think I'm right) or Windows 8.1.

I also think that using a 5400 r.p.m. HDD in a 2.5 inch form factor is a crime and with SSDs now having gained mainstream acceptance, it's time that manufacturers stop dumping this decade old technology on us especially looking at the current prices of laptops these days (waiting for Xiaomi to bring some serious competition in this space).

I'd like to know if it's the euphoria of using an SSD talking or if other folks have had similar experiences. Folks on the forum...can you please share your experience if you have replaced your laptop HDD with an SSD? Maybe this will help others make the switch if they've been considering it.

More than the improvement in speed, it's the satisfaction of having rescued a 2014 laptop for whch I'd spent 50K and was virtually unusable. I also love the fact that the laptop performs so much better than what can be bought today.

Yes, the screen is poor (Full HD was a scam at that time, should've looked at the 14 inch Lenovo Flex with an IPS screen. But, don't care that the screen is non-touch.) but the build of the Z-series, discrete buttons below the trackpad and presence of a DVD-drive are something that I appreciate in this laptop.

I know that I will never go back to using a 2.5 inch HDD in a laptop again if I have to buy another one. I will simply ask my IT guy to replace it with an SSD. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I have the same laptop.
Last month upgraded to 12GB of RAM. Laptop seems to be a tad more responsive now. Had to upgrade because of a work related tool which consumes lot of memory. It runs pretty smooth now.
On the lookout for an SSD.

What did you do with the 1TB HDD? Did you put it in the optical drive bay?

250GB is too less and so till now still evaluating what to do for my storage needs!

I concur - similar experience with a 2007 old HP laptop which started to fly after replacing the 5400rpm HDD with an SSD - this is a "never look back" kinda choice to make.

I even recently bought a new Dell AIO PC and immediately replaced the HDD with an SSD - didn't even bother to compare responsiveness - you just know the SSD will work its magic for you.

Typically, based on your usage and/or budget you pick a 120 - 250 - 500 GB SSD for "primary" (OS/boot/main apps) drive and also tack on a secondary large HDD for storage.

Sadly, for the Indian market (price conscious/sensitive) vendors will continue to offer budget models with spinning HDDs and people will suffer.

can you please share your experience if you have replaced your laptop HDD with an SSD?

For first time, I replaced my laptop's SSD in 2012. It was a HP laptop running on 7200rpm. That laptop still runs on i3-370M and 4GB RAM. It is quite sufficient for daily chores. Currently my brother uses it in USA. Fast forward to 2016. I again bought a HP laptop but this time from states and with 5400 rpm HDD. I did not care to wait for checking performance. I simply, swapped it Crucial MX100 SSD. As rightly said above, moving to SSD is like "one way". One can not live with it once used it. Hope now your wife finds that lapopt fixed :p Cheers !

Circa 2014, I'd bought a Lenovo Z50-70 15.6 inch laptop for my father-in-law to use. It came with Windows 8.1 pre-installed and a 1TB HDD.

Coming from the days of DOS and having used Win 95,98,XP and 7 in my office laptop, I had placed full faith in Microsoft to bring any latest hardware to it's knees. I wasn't disappointed. Everything ran sl-o-o-w on it. Even accessing the internet through a Tata Indicom Photon Plus (yes I know it's a PoS service) dongle was slower on this Windows 8.1 laptop as compared to browsing with the same dongle on my HP 6470b ProBook company laptop running Windows 7.

At the time, I could not delve further into why a brand new laptop ran so poorly. Come early 2016 and my FIL gave the laptop back to me (I guess he'd had enough) for my wife to use. The thing still ran like a PoS and my wife had entrusted me with the task of getting it "fixed". Between work and home, I was just fed up of trying to optimize the OS and began to h-a-t-e Microsoft with a vengeance, and what they'd done to a proper desktop OS.

My wife finally gave up on me and through contact of hers, put me in touch with an IT guy to "help" me with this and another unrelated (IP surveillance camera) problem. Grudgingly acknowledging my inability and disinclination to help due to a lack of time and knowledge of recent Windows OSes, I had a word with him. But, as it turns out, I was pleasantly surprised to meet him and just talk to a fellow techie.

I'd asked him to replace my laptop HDD with an SSD and replace Windows 8.1 with Windows 7. He suggested that I upgrade to Windows 10 however, since I'm eligible for a free upgrade. I did not agree to it but I asked him to decide what was best.

The laptop was returned to me with a Samsung Pro 128GB SSD installed. After using it for a couple of days, I was blown away by how it would perform. I always knew that an SSD would make a lot of difference but experience just b-l-e-w my mind. I've opened over 30 tabs in Chrome (I have only 4GB of memory) and yet, the OS did not flinch. Hibernating and resuming is a breeze. The laptop is so silent now that there are no/less moving parts.

In conclusion, I believe the turnaround was achieved by a combination of the OS and the SSD. I think that Windows 10 though bloated, seems to be much better than Windows 7 (yes, my office laptop with a 500GB HDD still crawls in Windows 7 for even the most basic of tasks) or Windows 8.1.

I also think that using a 5400 r.p.m. HDD in a 2.5 inch form factor is a crime and with SSDs now having gained mainstream acceptance, it's time that manufacturers stop dumping this decade old technology on us especially looking at the current prices of laptops these days (waiting for Xiaomi to bring some serious competition in this space).

I'd like to know if it's the euphoria of using an SSD talking or if other folks have had similar experiences. Folks on the forum...can you please share your experience if you have replaced your laptop HDD with an SSD? Maybe this will help others make the switch if they've been considering it.

More than the improvement in speed, it's the satisfaction of having rescued a 2014 laptop for whch I'd spent 50K and was virtually unusable. I also love the fact that the laptop performs so much better than what can be bought today.

Yes, the screen is poor (Full HD was a scam at that time, should've looked at the 14 inch Lenovo Flex with an IPS screen. But, don't care that the screen is non-touch.) but the build of the Z-series, discrete buttons below the trackpad and presence of a DVD-drive are something that I appreciate in this laptop.

I know that I will never go back to using a 2.5 inch HDD in a laptop again if I have to buy another one. I will simply ask my IT guy to replace it with an SSD. Thanks for reading.
I first upgraded my desktop in 2012, then onwards it's been SSD always.
What's more? I've bought a MacBook also with possibility of upgrading to SSD. Though Windows is notorious, Even Mac OS is pretty slow on routine HDD, SSD makes a hell of a difference.

BTW I'm still finding difficulty upgrade my wife's laptop HDD to SSD, she doesn't think replacing a '500'gb HDD with '256' gb SSD as a upgrade ( thinks I'm fooling her) [emoji23] [emoji23]

I have the same laptop.
Last month upgraded to 12GB of RAM. Laptop seems to be a tad more responsive now. Had to upgrade because of a work related tool which consumes lot of memory. It runs pretty smooth now.
On the lookout for an SSD.

What did you do with the 1TB HDD? Did you put it in the optical drive bay?

250GB is too less and so till now still evaluating what to do for my storage needs!

Wooah..12GB!!? I'm really out of touch these days :). I still use a decade old Win XP PC with 2GB RAM. It's ok for most tasks but sadly, browsing is a little slow these days what with each browser tab consuming 100MB+ of data (What's wrong with browser developers these days? I cannot find a single lightweight web browser.)

I'd almost forgotten about the 1TB drive :p. It was returned to me and now, I plan to externalize it with a casing. I'm not sure on how to put it in the optical bay.

I'll admit that 128GB is pretty tight. A few syncs with your camera and your photos and videos will tend to push the drive to full capacity. In fact, I'm not able to upgrade Windows 10 as it requires around 15-20GB of free space and I don't have that much space on my C partition (still cleaning up junk that my wife's family had put on the laptop).

But, for storage, I use a combination of 2 X 1TB portable HDDs and offload photos, videos, tv shows, movies etc. to both these portable HDDs (I'm a veteran of hard disk failures. Word of advice - Unless you want to lose your data esp. your photos, videos and other precious memories, always backup your data. With all my planning, I've still lost some data when my HDDs suddenly crashed.)

If you want SSD based storage >250GB, I guess you'll have to wait as 512GB SSDs are still quite expensive.

Last edited:
Wooah..12GB!!? I'm really out of touch these days :). I still use a decade old Win XP PC with 2GB RAM. It's ok for most tasks but sadly, browsing is a little slow these days what with each browser tab consuming 100MB+ of data (What's wrong with browser developers these days? I cannot find a single lightweight web browser.)

I'd almost forgotten about the 1TB drive :p. It was returned to me and now, I plan to externalize it with a casing. I'm not sure on how to put it in the optical bay.

I'll admit that 128GB is pretty tight. A few syncs with your camera and your photos and videos will tend to push the drive to full capacity. In fact, I'm not able to upgrade Windows 10 as it requires around 15-20GB of free space and I don't have that much space on my C partition (still cleaning up junk that my wife's family had put on the laptop).

But, for storage, I use a combination of 2 X 1TB portable HDDs and offload photos, videos, tv shows, movies etc. to both these portable HDDs (I'm a veteran of hard disk failures. Word of advice - Unless you want to lose your data esp. your photos, videos and other precious memories, always backup your data. With all my planning, I've still lost some data when my HDDs suddenly crashed.)

If you want SSD based storage >250GB, I guess you'll have to wait as 512GB SSDs are still quite expensive.
8GB sticks seemed to be more VFM and hence went for that. 8GB DDR3L cost only Rs.2700.

Not sure if browser developers are to blame or web developers. Infinite scrolling pages (e.g FB newsfeed) consume lots of memory.

I concur - similar experience with a 2007 old HP laptop which started to fly after replacing the 5400rpm HDD with an SSD - this is a "never look back" kinda choice to make.

I even recently bought a new Dell AIO PC and immediately replaced the HDD with an SSD - didn't even bother to compare responsiveness - you just know the SSD will work its magic for you.

Typically, based on your usage and/or budget you pick a 120 - 250 - 500 GB SSD for "primary" (OS/boot/main apps) drive and also tack on a secondary large HDD for storage.

Sadly, for the Indian market (price conscious/sensitive) vendors will continue to offer budget models with spinning HDDs and people will suffer.

I'ts a great feeling to have revived your old or not so old hardware :).

Yes, an add-on internal HDD would be perfect. However, my IT guy tells me that most laptops nowadays do not have space for an additional RAM stick let alone an additional HDD.

Sad but true about the indian market. I feel that it's a case of laptop/PC manufacturers desperately and deliberately holding back progress (much like the way Airtel held back broadband adoption for almost a decade with crappy plans and FUP. I wonder how Netflix is doing in India.) by providing an SSD with only their top of the line offerings. An 256GB SSD costs 5-6K today. There is no excuse for not providing SSD as an option to folks looking for better performance from their laptops......unless of course they want us to "upgrade" in a year or so to the latest processor.

The same can be said for IPS displays and backlit keyboards. Why is it that a manufacturer will provide an IPS display only for a 2 in 1 device? So, I need to see well only if I am a moron who doesn't know how to use a keyboard and it's ok for me to keep adjusting the screen when I'm working or watching a movie?

And a backlit keyboard is so useful especially at night. I cannot understand why I need to spend 1L+ just to have my keyboard backlit.

OT - Any suggestions for a (cheap) 128/64 GB one ?

You can look at the 120GB Samsung 750 EVO at
http://www.amazon.in/Samsung-750-EV...475508150&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+750+evo+ssd

Different type of NAND as compared to the 850 EVO but still, extremely fast I'm told. Put two of them in RAID 0 on a desktop and sit back and enjoy :).

If you want to feel a little more comfortable, you can go for the 250GB version at
http://www.amazon.in/Samsung-250GB-...475508150&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+750+evo+ssd

I had the budget and hence, went for the 128GB Samsung 850 Pro.

My IT guy told me that Transcend SSDs also perform well but everyone is going with Samsung these days.

I cannot believe that SSDs are available for such prices these days. A few years ago, you couldn't even get HDDs at this price.

Last edited:
I first upgraded my desktop in 2012, then onwards it's been SSD always.
What's more? I've bought a MacBook also with possibility of upgrading to SSD. Though Windows is notorious, Even Mac OS is pretty slow on routine HDD, SSD makes a hell of a difference.

BTW I'm still finding difficulty upgrade my wife's laptop HDD to SSD, she doesn't think replacing a '500'gb HDD with '256' gb SSD as a upgrade ( thinks I'm fooling her) [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sadly, that is the state of the mass market where "megapixels" and "GBs" matter (exception for storage only). Many fail to realize that their PC/laptop is only as fast as the slowest part in the computing chain. Half the software out there cannot even utilize more than 1 core effectively.

I see this kind of thinking at the office too. After quite a while, I've managed to convince my lab mgmt. to stop bleeding company money by buying the latest HP G9 blade servers and "upgrading" RAM from 128GB to 256GB (we can't even re-use RAM from our existing G7s and G8s due to HP's clever "upgrade" of system specs resulting in incompatibility) and rather focus on upgrading the lab switches from Fast Ethernet to Gigabit Ethernet.
If your (shared) file transfer speed across servers is around 15-20 MB/s, you cannot get a slice of that 500 MB/s file I/O goodness by plonking in an SSD or two into your blade server.

Last edited:
I see this kind of thinking at the office too. After quite a while, I've managed to convince my lab mgmt. to stop bleeding company money by buying the latest HP G9 blade servers and "upgrading" RAM from 128GB to 256GB (we can't even re-use RAM from our existing G7s and G8s) and rather focus on upgrading the lab switches from Fast Ethernet to Gigabit Ethernet.
something like that happend at my school.dispite being it monitor for last 2 years this is what i saw

spending on "more ram' to fill up the ram slots.. keep in mind these were big *ss boards with a hoard of 24/36 mem slots.
if anyone is wondering then no you dont have to fill each memory slot and having 2 1gb 5 2gb 6 4gb 6 512mg 4 8gb modules DONT GIVE U 36 channel hyper speed....

plus i removed memory modules from time to time....for personal use (i had 32gigs ddr3 lol)

and they had a boxload of ram ...to fill their servers

i tried explaining them to spend on 64 gigs kits rather then this mess but to no avail (3 years ago)

Back