Laptops Laptop with best after sale service..?

Guys, i am planning to purchase a laptop soon.

Any idea which one has got the best After Sale Service here in India (ncr to be exact)

1) Mainly targetting toshiba/Dell. What's the current report regarding these two brands regarding after sales service?

2) What's the scene like if a laptop is purchased from abroad (U.S for eg), and it doesnt comes with International warranty ? Do the companies here repair without major hassles..??

Dell with complete cover is your best bet. They provide In-Home service after remote diagnostic.

Dell also offers international warranty on more than 1 year support plan if bought abroad. You need to confirm with them before buying.

Not sure about Toshiba

Sony is also very good in terms of service, at least in my area. They also provide international warranty. After Dell removed FHD permanently from XPS, there's nothing left in Dell, so I'd prefer Vaio anyday over Dell now. Also heard about dell using refurbished parts in their laptops.

^^TBH I don't think Thinkpads need ASS. I wasted 7.2k to upgrade the warranty by 3 years. It was thrown about by security in the Delhi metro railway stations and airport security so many times I am not one bit worried about my thinkpad. Although I must say IBM handles ass for Thinkpads and they are very good at what they do and the technicians are knowledgeable atleast that's what I found out when I visited the IBM service center twice to get assistance in rolling back a botched up BIOS upgrade which was solely my fault.

@ OT - Dell, Thinkpads (IBM) all offer good after sales support. Making the cut to the list are MSI and weirdly and to the surprise of many here, HP. HP has improved its ass over the years and do a good job.

Laptops purchased abroad often come with international warranty and can be claimed in India easily. Some manufacturers like Lenovo/IBM for Thinkpads and Alienware(Dell) give you the option to extend the warranty on products purchased abroad.

In my opinion Sony has the worst Ass along with flimsy build quality.

#[member='sunny27']

I have had massive surgery performed on my R61, (maybe I got a bad piece or use it too much?), but the response time has been awesome

Usually home visit in 24 hours from complaint. If some major part needs replacement it takes 3-5 days, otherwise they do it on the spot

HP ASS is a PAIN

Took 2 months to get a battery replaced

^^^I was at the IBM service center and saw hinges/latches for lids and chassis assemblies -- they are works of art - precision tooling at its best. What people don't understand is that the extra amount you pay for the thinkpad is totally justified when you see the quality of materials used and build quality of the components that go into the laptop. I think its a good thing IBM handles rma/repairs for Thinkpads. I wish it was still their brand. If IBM was still making thinkpads i would gladly pay an extra 10-20k over the existing cost of the current thinkpads to own it. having the IBM logo on the thinkpad is so cool.

Yeah, I saw an R61 and an Acer laptop lying open side by side

The Acer looked like a toy, VAIO's are even worse

(wish entire Thinkpad range was available in India)

HP has improved over the last couple of years.

Sony is like apple of the windows world. Over priced and offering substandard build quality. The vaio Z is a different beast. Its one of the best laptops money can currently buy.

go for DELL, i got my dell xps laptop from u.s. (got it 4 abt 25k cheaper than the price here in india)with international warranty..but you have to transfer your service tag as soon as you bring it here( they will cover the warranty without the transfer also but mite take2-3 months and u have to contact u.s customer service first).once it is done.it will be same as a laptop purchased from india..customer support is excellent..they will get ur problem fixed within 3 or 4 days.will come to ur home/school/college ,no matter where u stay..if u r not able to keep ur laptop without dropping it or scratching go for a complete cover..so that they will replace any part even with a scratch..

so that they will replace any part even with a scratch..

LOL
<

Not true.

go for DELL, i got my dell xps laptop from u.s. (got it 4 abt 25k cheaper than the price here in india)with international warranty..but you have to transfer your service tag as soon as you bring it here( they will cover the warranty without the transfer also but mite take2-3 months and u have to contact u.s customer service first).once it is done.it will be same as a laptop purchased from india..customer support is excellent..they will get ur problem fixed within 3 or 4 days.will come to ur home/school/college ,no matter where u stay..if u r not able to keep ur laptop without dropping it or scratching go for a complete cover..so that they will replace any part even with a scratch..

Yea, the difference between US and Indian pricing is stark in contrast.

Unfortunately none of my contacts is coming to India/ncr during this time of the year.. maybe will have to rely on a lower config.

LOL
tongu23e.gif

Not true.

my friend got his laptop back panel replaced for some scratches that he made..if they say the damage is small enough to be replaced..u can always make it big enough for them to notice(all this applies only for full cover warranty)...

But isn't that wrong and unethical on the part of the user to needlessly claim replacements just for the sake of getting something new and shiny? if people abuse this system it won't be long before dell go the way of the other manufacturers in terms of customer service. Although I am aware of dell's excellent after sales service - my dell 1908wfp was upgraded to p2210 and then g2410h within 1 month of both the 1908wfp and p2210 failing. They replaced the lcd along with box+ accessories +cd/dvd+documentation within 24 hours of me logging the complaint call.

^A very very common practice in the country if I may add. Most of us know that Western Digital replaces an outdated hard drive with a better and newer model and in all probability a drive with a higher capacity. And ever since the news spread like viral, most folks (I know of a LOT of them from the forums!) applied for the RMA even without the hard drive failing! Some of them went a notch higher, and actually tampered the drive so that HD Tune or a similar application throws a warning/error, raises an RMA request. With Dell, it's a different game - replacing the displays for a better display/panel.

Very very sad. And why would anyone be surprised as to why WD and Seagate lowered the warranty from 5 years to 3 and later to 2! (And I suppose this is only for India or may be the APAC? Not exactly sure.)

Oh wow, has it been reduced to 1 year now? Not aware of it since its ages I've RMA'd a drive.

Apologies for the OT spacey.

Dude i am planning to buy an xps laptop from us,will it cover the international warranty or if it dnt cover the warranty what would be the price we need to pay extra?

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

Dude i am planning to buy an xps laptop from us,will it cover the international warranty or if it dnt cover the warranty how much extra money i have to pay for it ?

Sony is also very good in terms of service, at least in my area. They also provide international warranty. After Dell removed FHD permanently from XPS, there's nothing left in Dell, so I'd prefer Vaio anyday over Dell now. Also heard about dell using refurbished parts in their laptops.

what is FHD as u said after dell removed FHD permanently

Back