Laptop Rec: 60k

RushadMM

Disciple
Hi, I'm rather technologically challenged and can't figure out what laptop to buy. I usually rely on a friend of mine to help me out with this kind of stuff, but recently he's gotten sick of helping me out and referred me here. Please do help out a poor tech-inept soul.

Budget: max 60k (50-something K if I'm convinced I wants the Dell Inspiron)

Primary Use:
-Light Gaming: AoE III, CoD 4 (high detail graphics without stalling)
-Student stuff: Presentations, documents, pretending to study etc.
-Endless hours on Skype making petty conversation with friends and relatives.
-Watching Chick Flicks/Other movies devoid of plots.

Brand: Dell, Toshiba, HP.

Warranty: 3 year complete accidental damage warranty, an international warranty. I'll will be studying in the UK, so I wanted a warranty that is valid in both India as well as the UK. (don't worry about this one-- I can figure it out myself, just leave enough of a budget to fit this in though)

The Dell Inspiron seems to fit my description, but since my friend (to whom I am indebted forever for several math related reasons) plans to buy the XPS I was wondering what the difference is? The only thing listed in the specs is a 1GB Nvidia 525M instead of a 2 GB Nvidia 540M, but the cost difference is some 8k. Is this cost difference justified for the change in graphics card ? Or is there something else that makes the XPS vastly superior compared to the Inspiron.

Thanks!

Hmmm..... interesting post indeed. :p
The XPS is superior to Inspiron due to its much better build quality, better speakers(with subwoofers) & ability to have vast upgrades to choose from.

The XPS is really worth spending for. Some essential upgrades include the awesome full-HD screen, GT-540M & a quad-core i7.

See what all you can fit in your budget.

Another laptop which gives a good competition to the XPS15 is the Sony VAIO VPCCB15FG. Check it out too.

I would say get the XPS 15, fit it with the GT540M. Should fix you up COD4 an AOE III easily. Plus, the XPS speakers are really good, great build, and if you can get the FullHD display(should fit your budget), then absolutely great!

It might be worth looking, if you'd consider another brand, at Acer... as it could save you some money.

There's a laptop which does pretty good gaming for cheap - has the GeForce GT 540M on board with an i5-2410M processor - it's the Acer Aspire AS5750G. The notebook gets an award in this review, which goes on about how well priced it is! (But the negative is the display isn't perfect, perhaps... but then again, at the price level it's pitched at, there are going to be a few little corners cut).

However, the Inspiron is a quality make which I'm sure you won't be disappointed in...

Best Configuration in the Present Time Laptop is brought by HP.

HP Pavilion DV6 Series DV6-6121TX Laptop Price India: Buy HP Pavilion DV6 Core i7 2630QM, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD, 2GB HD6770M ~55k

It has got 2GB GPU and HD6770 is far better than 540M GPU offered by Dell.

Good God, is it just me or is the DV6 Series DV6-6121TX MUCH better than the XPS15 for some 10k less ?
On top of that the Graphics card has 2GB DDR5 which kicks the ass of an Nvidia 540M DDR3.
Tell me if this is a lie or I'm going to buy it within the next week.

Also, is there anything wrong with HP laptops overheating or is it just a myth ?

Thanks.

^ I'm about to buy a 6121tx too, and after a LOT (trust me) research, I've found out that the 2nd Gen i7s and HP Coolsense have essentially solved HP's heating issues.

Dell XPS15 (i7+540M) vs HP DV6 (i7+6770M)

Try to get a 6017tx if you can find it. It's a 6121tx with a 500GB Hard disk and 1GB Ati 6770. Graphic card memory will NOT affect you, seriously. Not a bit. So you'll be paying 3-4k extra for 150GB bigger hard disk basically.

So yeah, the HP 6017/6121 are surprisingly VFM laptops. And the HP looks much better too. The XPS design is an abomination. Get the XPS only if you want the +Rs6000 FHD screen. It's a beauty.

Back