Laptop keyboards

mlongkumer

Recruit
Apr 10, 2023
Hey guys, is it only my luck or does laptop keyboards don't last as long nowadays?

I have faced multiple keyboard issues with HP and Asus laptops. Since its hard to get hold of orginal parts, I have resorted to third party manufacturers but we know the quality of these.

I would also like to hear from you guys which third party brands (keyboards,b attery) do you prefer or have good experience with.

Cheers,
mlongkumer

gourav

Skilled
Oct 1, 2009
I have owned HP laptops in the past, both mine and my wife's laptops developed keyboard issues in a year or so. My Asus laptop and my dad's Dell laptop have no issues even after 4-5 years.

My office also provided me HP laptop, running perfectly fine after 2 years.

I'd say in general it's fairly common for laptops to develop keyboard issues, but it's a lot about luck.

Just a few precautions you can take
* Don't let any liquids spill on the keyboard
* Keep it clean. Have a brush handy and clean it regularly
* Don't keep your laptop on a soft surface like bed, sofa, etc. Use a cooler or stand if you're working on those places.

Reactions: mlongkumer

desiibond

Skilled
Jan 19, 2009
Have used work laptops since 2004 and never faced a single keyboard related issue till date. But then, I rarely use laptop as is. Always used laptop in docked state with external keyboard mouse and display (ergonomics, avoid RSI). Did see lot of budget laptops get keyboard issues and it is expected.

The one keyboard that is proved to be a headache is the scissor type on MacBook pros. I purchased M2 Pro MBP and within a week, 'A' would not register if I press on left side. I think tiny speck of dust went under it. After few weeks, it was back to normal as that dust particle may have come off.

Reactions: mlongkumer

Awesomadin

DON'T TRADE
Disciple
Jul 24, 2021
Laptop keyboards generally have a long lifespan, unless they are impacted by spills or accidents. However, it is difficult to find high-end laptop keyboards, especially those with backlighting or unique designs, unlike the standard ones. Fortunately, I reside in Hyderabad where there is a nearby store/market situated just 10 kilometers away from my location. This store offers laptop keyboards at an affordable price of 400-500 rupees, and though they are local brands, they are of good quality.

When it comes to brands, I have had no problems with my Dell laptop. However, my Lenovo laptop's keyboard tends to have issues after about a year of use. This is mainly because my nieces and nephews use the Lenovo laptop. Hehe..

LinkdJay

Disciple
Aug 28, 2023
Laptop keyboards generally have a long lifespan, unless they are impacted by spills or accidents. However, it is difficult to find high-end laptop keyboards, especially those with backlighting or unique designs, unlike the standard ones. Fortunately, I reside in Hyderabad where there is a nearby store/market situated just 10 kilometers away from my location. This store offers laptop keyboards at an affordable price of 400-500 rupees, and though they are local brands, they are of good quality.

When it comes to brands, I have had no problems with my Dell laptop. However, my Lenovo laptop's keyboard tends to have issues after about a year of use. This is mainly because my nieces and nephews use the Lenovo laptop. Hehe..
So, do you replace the lenovo laptop's keyboard every year or what?

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
in my experience they don't last very long - 1 year to a few years these days inf you are lucky. Most modern consumer laptops (and entry level business laptops) come with integrated palm rest + keyboard which are expensive and time intensive to replace.
So I am sticking to my older ones, and even if i buy new, I will buy a corporate model where the keyboard assembly can be detached from the top half and replaced separately