Budget 31-40k Laptop for a research project

drkrack

Heart Repairer
Adept
* What's your Budget? (e.g. >30K, not more than 50K etc.)
25 - 40k ... Lesser the better

* What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? (e.g. web surfing/office apps/Casual Gaming)

SurfingPowerPoint, statistics,
Light Photo & video editing, conversion, dicom image editing not very intensive on CPU
No great gaming except old NFS and Angry birds
:D:D:D

* What size and weight considerations do you have? (e.g. Do you want a 17" desktop replacement or you want an ultraportable 12" or something in between)
14'' preferred, okay with 13.3 & 15.6 not beyond these limits.

* Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? No for Acer & Sony both companies don't respect your money...

* Any other considerations?

If We could load HACKINTOSH 10.7.2 PARALLELLY WUD B GREAT :(:(
Have been running Hackintosh since 2006 !!
SOME APPLICATIONS OF THE PROJECT AVAILABLE ONLY ON MAC !!

GOOD BATTERY BACKUP upto 4hrs
Less weighty..
Average looking .. no need for flaunt value

Intel core i5 is preferred no AMD

Considering The following Laptops

1. Toshiba C640- x1015 satellite ...26k :eek:
http://www.flipkart.com/toshiba-sat...CGFF&ref=9eba6e10-3694-4b4a-9ca0-121027987492

2. Samsung 300z-A08in
http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-np3...HY33&ref=4ff271ab-3cb3-496f-a579-2e3325ed2f42

3. Asus x53s 492D
http://www.flipkart.com/asus-x53sc-...5YSA&ref=51630ada-f1e0-49df-aab1-60799984bf8c

4. HP probook 4430s
http://www.flipkart.com/hp-probook-...BQJA&ref=121504ec-ef9a-45c3-993e-e012c6fb0c26

Is there a lot of difference between Intel HD 3000 vs nVidia 520mx ?
Review of Toshiba C640 series ??

Urgent Help is Very much Appreciated ....

Is there a lot of difference between Intel HD 3000 vs nVidia 520mx ?

Urgent Help is Very much Appreciated ....

Mate in Intel HD 3000 you can play a old games like you just say NFS and angry bird.
But in
nVidia 520mx you can play all the recent coming games in this current year with medium range.

Review of Toshiba C640 series??
Go through this it will help you with much clear review then flipkart.
Cheap Toshiba Satellite C640-X4014 sales India | Toshiba Satellite C640-X4014 Themes | Toshiba Satellite C640-X4014 Laptop review

Hope this help.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply

I am fairly convinced that Intel onboard gfx should suffice.
This also increases the possibility of loading Hackintosh successfully.

What do u think ?
Intel gfx should b able to handle basic video editing and conversions with ease...

The 15.6" laptop with 1366*768 resolution will b less good looking than same resolution on 14" ?

BTW I couldn't find C640 reviews on the link provided by you...
What's you opinion abt Toshiba c640 series..

What's you opinion abt Toshiba c640 series..

Toshiba c640 series is come with best configuration mate. But it's hard to find a Toshiba c640 series in Indian market .
I will ask few of my friend for this series. If it's available in India i will inform you.

Hope this help.

Cheers.

More inclined towards
buying Toshiba C640 i5 laptop
Adding 4gb RAM now & 128 gb SSD later
In the amount saved :D:D:D

Should be a better performance than others I think ...:confused::confused::confused:

What is Toshiba turbo boost technology.. upto 3ghz clock speeds ??
Manufacturer supported overclocking ??

@drkrack, if you particularly need a laptop for so called Hackintosh, then HP Probook is the best bet as its the most compatible laptop for Hackintosh.
You dont have to look around for kexts and patches. Complete guide for installing Mac Os on HP Probook series is available on Internet. You can find them very easily.
Also one thing, NVidia Optimus Technology is not working in Mac OS. So, if you purchase a laptop with discrete graphics card, it wont work under Mac. It will recognize Intel HD3000 as primary graphics controller. But on-board graphics is enough for general day task. GPU intensive work might cause some problem.
Can't say anything about ATI/AMD graphics though. If you find any laptop having same AMD graphic card as of Macbook Pro, then it might work in Hackintosh.

Btw, you can even install MAC OS on other laptops also, but WiFi and ethernet , multi-touch gestures, camera, finger-print scanner might not work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I know about Hackintosh on Probook ...
That's the only reason I considered it in my first post.
Paying another 10k just for that wouldn't be logical.
I can buy extra RAM & SSD in the saved money
There's a guide for installing Hackintosh on Toshiba too
Will surely post my experience of Hackintosh ..

Thanks for the rightful concern though :):):thumbup::thumbup:

Hackintosh being an add-on feature I am not banking too much on it. I have one MacBook and Hackintosh Desktop so not all that hard on it.

I clearly need any personal experience with Toshiba 640series, that asks me not to buy it.. anyone using Toshiba 640 series laptop ??:confused::confused:

Yeah..Toshiba seems to be pretty good on budget. ~28k on Gadgetguru's site, so market price would fluctuate at around 26-27k.
I was planning for a laptop which i'll be purchasing when my MBA will start. I was keen on using Hackintosh, so I shortlisted HP Probook and Lenovo G570 as of now(as they are most compatible with MAC OS)

But now after seeing you post, Toshiba 640 catches my interest. Add an SSD with 8 gigs RAM and it will be a good lappy and that too within budget. Need to do some research on it and visit some nearby stores :p .

HP Probook has few more advantages... Otherthan Hackintosh
Fully anodized aluminium body
7400 rpm HDD
USB 3.0 support
Hdmi port
2.1kg
Looks identical to MacBook !!
But
If the wirless module is not Atheros.. Hackintosh WiFi doesn't work.
Compatible WiFi module costs 27$ !!

Booked Toshiba C640-1015 in Homeshop18
Came at 26 k !!
Ordered for 4gb Corsair RAM too. At 1.3k
Will give a brief attempt at installing Hackintosh on it.
Will post the review , so that everyone can benefit.

It's a clinical research project in Cardiology..
As stated before it involves Dicom image editing, basic cutting and joining AVI files, lot of web browsing, Reading.
Mostly requires more processing power than gfx to handle advanced statistical softwares. Management of large data files , plus Multitasking.
ThinkPad with core i5 is slightly out of budget. Nothing beats the reliability of ThinkPad. As this will b more of my personal PC , other high grade professional machines will available with the logistics dept.

I think I have made reasonably good choice.
6gb RAM & Kept some money aside for upgradation with SSD, if the performance is below par, without exceeding my budget. :)

Mate here few laptop for you.

1. HP Notebook G6-1201TX
In flipkart it will cost you 38.8K
HP Notebook G6-1201TX Price in India 2012 May 30th, Specs

2. HP Pavilion DV6 Series dv6-3050TX Laptop ~ Rs. 49.5K
HP Pavilion DV6 Series dv6-3050TX Specifications:
1.6 GHz Core i7 720QM processor with Intel HD55 Chipset and 6MB Smart Cache
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 Graphics
15.6 Inch 1366×768 HD LED Display
4GB DDR3 RAM Expandable up to 8GB
640GB SATA 5400RPM Hard Drive
LightScribe SuperMulti Drive with Double Layer Support
64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System
0.3 Megapixel Camera, Digital Microphone, Altec Lansing Speakers
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN, 802.11 b/g/n WIFI, Bluetooth
6-cell Battery with 3 hours backup
4 x USB 2.0, Mic In, RJ45 LAN, HDMI port, VGA Port, 5-in-1 Card Reader
Best Gaming Laptop in India under 50000 | Cheapest Gaming Laptop in India | Techbuy-Gadgets buying guide

Hope this help.

Cheers.

It's a clinical research project in Cardiology..
As stated before it involves Dicom image editing, basic cutting and joining AVI files, lot of web browsing, Reading.
Mostly requires more processing power than gfx to handle advanced statistical softwares. Management of large data files , plus Multitasking.
ThinkPad with core i5 is slightly out of budget. Nothing beats the reliability of ThinkPad. As this will b more of my personal PC , other high grade professional machines will available with the logistics dept.

I think I have made reasonably good choice.
6gb RAM & Kept some money aside for upgradation with SSD, if the performance is below par, without exceeding my budget. :)

Read the link from my previous post. You can get a TP from Outlet. Cheaper. PS: But dont compromise on Screen Res.

Came at 26 k !!

Thanks for the advices
@ crashnburn -any lappy with better resolution below 40k?
TP i5 is not available below 40k..

Came at 26 k !!

Thanks for the advices
@ crashnburn -any lappy with better resolution below 40k?
TP i5 is not available below 40k..

I cant keep track of prices for you. As I said, i3 / i5/ i7 is all Intels way of selling stuff. Better to have High Res LCD, and SSD and more RAM.

If you really had the patience, you should come to Thinkpads forums and check for prices there. Thinkpad Outlets have good deals coming all the time.

HP Probook has few more advantages... Otherthan Hackintosh
Fully anodized aluminium body
7400 rpm HDD
USB 3.0 support
Hdmi port
2.1kg
Looks identical to MacBook !!
But
If the wirless module is not Atheros.. Hackintosh WiFi doesn't work.
Compatible WiFi module costs 27$ !!

Came at 26 k !!
Will give a brief attempt at installing Hackintosh on it.
Hi I want to buy a laptop to use as a hackintosh for native ios development. Please tell me have u installed os x on your Toshiba c640? Does everything (wifi, audio etc) work well on that? I need to decide between probook 14" or c640-1014.
Also if i go for probook, then I should make sure that it has wifi module from Atheros only. Right?

Yes I did install Hackintosh on C640 everything works except Wifi, needs to change the WIFI card probably. tends to be very unstable at times, with frequent crashes. So I abandoned Mac and running win 7 fluently. Go for Pro Book if serious abt Hackintosh, You wont get atheros wifi enabled probooks in India I guess, You need to buy them from USA, ebay has cards them at around 2.5k,
Consider 15'' models as theyre readily compatible..

I might be generalizing here, but isn't most software that would be used in your research be available for Linux?

I'd suggest you get a machine which has a high resolution display. If you are comfortable on OSX, please buy a Mac the experience is simple wonderful. The way the hardware complements the software is something worth noting.

If you're going the Linux way I'd say get yourself a Thinkpad the one with the higher resolution and add generous amounts of RAM.

Yes I did install Hackintosh on C640 everything works except Wifi, needs to change the WIFI card probably. tends to be very unstable at times, with frequent crashes. So I abandoned Mac and running win 7 fluently. Go for Pro Book if serious abt Hackintosh, You wont get atheros wifi enabled probooks in India I guess, You need to buy them from USA, ebay has cards them at around 2.5k,
Consider 15'' models as theyre readily compatible..
How is the build quality of the C640? Also does it tend to overheat on extended usage?

No problems with c640 so far, no heat issue even After extensive usage, build quality isn't great definitely not comparable to thinkpads & Vostro. I think similar to Dell inspiron I think.
Speed is adequate, and battery around 4 hrs with average usage.
Remember only 2 usb and no hdmi.
Overall good budget laptop but not for Hackintosh.

Back