Car & Bike KTM duke/RC 390, CBR250R ABS or should i wait for more options?

Guys, let's not get into brand bashing. I know there are lemons in every brand. I was merely telling @abhifusion about the reliability of the CBR. There have only been a very few engine seizures to date. The one that I know of happened to Aargee - his engine seized within the first few thousand kms. Honda replaced his engine in warranty and now that engine has done 80K kms.

CBR250R is a great tourer, I have to agree on that. I had done 90k+ on my first gen Pulsar 220 Fi without any major issues, so doing 1L+ on the modern automobiles is not a big thing.

Some of my friends CBR ownership experience was not very good. They have dealt with shim issues which would take weeks for honda to arrange a spare part, engine seizure despite regular servicing to name a few.
One guy was getting mileage 25 at best. This was 2 years ago, now they have moved on to better bikes :) ...

I shared what my friends have experienced with the ownership of the CBR. Calling me biased won't increase reliability of your beloved bike. Anyway lets agree to disagree without calling names !

Shim 'issues' aren't. Checking valve clearances and replacing shims within 20K to 30K kms are a part of routine maintenance, like adjusting tappets. Initially there were some hiccups at Honda in relation to parts, but that was sorted out very fast. Please give me a few concrete examples of engine seizures and the steps Honda took NOT to solve them. Mileage is dependant on your wrist, if you're free with the throttle and love giving it juice, the mileage will drop drastically (in most bikes).

I wonder why you call it beloved, because I dont have the bike, and neither do I have the desire of owning one.
And you started calling names. All the people I know in xBhp are extremely happy with their CBRs.
And the CBR will be more reliable than the KTMs any given day of the week. Period.

Exactly, the amount of issues the KTMs are facing is mind boggling. Broken rims (most dangerous), to leaking coolant in engine, to parts falling off, to brakes failing, to battery terminals breaking off by themselves and last but not least, sprockets broken. I'm not brand bashing here, but stating facts. The most recent example is a KTM chassis breaking by itself!

ktm4.jpg

Broken rims....
http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/motorcy...-duke-390-owners-reviews-experiences-233.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-133.html

btw, from our collective experience with the bajajs that we used few years back... bajaj service was shitty. I mean absolutely shitty. When I got rid of my p200. I got an r15 and used it for 4 years. (I never kept a bike for 4 years before except for hh passion which was the first.)

So... from my experience I would simply exclude KTM owing to the quality of ASS bajaj provides. Bike "maybe" good but bajaj's ASS sucks.

90K is good for a tourer, a ZMA owner has done 4 lakh + kms on his Karizma :) . As I said above, some might be lemons, and one might get a good bike, but the fact is that the Bajaj engines overall are not as reliable as the Honda engines. It also reflects in the cheap parts cost. I would exclude KTM because the QA is shoddy as well.

Actually I was planning to get a ktm duke 390 from the second market. year old examples sold as low as 1.25 lakh. ..though realistically about 1.4 lakh is more probable.I though that it was great vfm, now your discussion is scaring me!

I had a 1st gen Pulsar 150. I think the serial no was something like 38~40.
It did almost ~90k before i had my engine seized and that was purely my fault.
I wasn't very punctual about my oil changes, no preventive maintenance etc.. End result - one gear broke = engine seized.
After the new piston, i used it for maybe another 30k or so.

I currently have a Duke 200 and it's had its share of teething issues.
1. High Coolant temp would show up randomly. This was traced to a wiring loom issue and replaced under warranty.
2. Bike had the front fork leak. Again replaced under warranty.

Even with the above, the bike has never given up on me in the middle of a ride.
I've done Pune-Bangalore-Pune without the bike breaking a sweat. 100+ all day long.
Apart from the above, I'm just following the regular maintenance schedule

One note about servicing - if you're in Pune, Sai Service guys are really good.
Have had only great interactions with them and they've always been helpful in getting the bike fixed under warranty.

About choosing between CBR and KTM - I would really say the only way to take a call is go on test rides and see which one makes you smile the most. Riding style for both bikes is quite different, so that might another way for you to choose.
KTM is a lil manic while the Honda is smoother.

The possibility of a lemon exists in both brands. So leave that to luck i would say.

For me, when i was in your shoes, i was sold on KTM after the 2nd test ride. I would personally recommend the KTM.

Happy Riding and be safe.

P.S. Are people really recommending the Mojo?

Last edited:
Actually I was planning to get a ktm duke 390 from the second market. year old examples sold as low as 1.25 lakh. ..though realistically about 1.4 lakh is more probable.I though that it was great vfm, now your discussion is scaring me!

Buy a KTM, and the people with whom you spend most of your time will be mechanics.

Buy a used KTM, and you will probably have to camp outside the service centre.

Don't listen to fanboys here, seeing same bajaj/ktm haters since years on this forum, my friends have been troubled by rubbish after sales services of Yamaha in a city like Bangalore and don't even talk about Honda, the sales person attitude itself will make sure that you won't buy CBR250 and many have been troubled in the past with absolutely pathetic spare parts availability of CBR250.

Stop researching on forums and test ride all the bikes and then decide what you like, i am quite sure it will be Duke 390 or RC390.

OMG!! really? your bike should be in a museum. I am not kidding.

btw, from our collective experience with the bajajs that we used few years back... bajaj service was shitty. I mean absolutely shitty. When I got rid of my p200. I got an r15 and used it for 4 years. (I never kept a bike for 4 years before except for hh passion which was the first.)

So... from my experience I would simply exclude KTM owing to the quality of ASS bajaj provides. Bike "maybe" good but bajaj's ASS sucks.

Got decent resale too after 6 years of ownership since I maintained it pretty well :) ...
I agree that Bajaj ASS is below average, but I made it a point that I stay near the Bike and keep an eye on the mechanic to check if he does all the things which are required to do in the servicing. Most of the times all they do is washing, air filter cleaning that's it ! KTM / Kawasaki ASS is better though. Be it any manufacturer, its your duty to check if your bike is getting serviced properly or not.

The only reason i am not test riding KTM 390 series is because i won't be able to resist myself from buying it. Power corrupts :D

People say honda's service is terrible. And KTM's is a lot better. But Its the reliability i am concerned about. Not their quality of service.

Visited dealership of KTM and honda in my city. KTM sales people were courteous, offered test ride even though i didn't asked for it. After visiting honda dealership, it felt like they were not interested in selling CBR250. The only thing they're interested in selling is shine and activa. They are not even sure about waiting period, didn't inquired anymore since they were not giving proper attention to my queries.

I loved benelli 300 looks and exhaust note, but it will be priced above my budget and lacks ABS.
R25/R3 will be priced above my budget as well so, i am stuck with CBR250/300 and KTM 390 series.
I have decided to wait 2-3 months after the launch of updated CBR250/300. If they price the ABS variant higher than KTM RC 390, I'd probably go for 390 duke/RC.

The only reason i am not test riding KTM 390 series is because i won't be able to resist myself from buying it. Power corrupts :D

People say honda's service is terrible. And KTM's is a lot better. But Its the reliability i am concerned about. Not their quality of service.

Visited dealership of KTM and honda in my city. KTM sales people were courteous, offered test ride even though i didn't asked for it. After visiting honda dealership, it felt like they were not interested in selling CBR250. The only thing they're interested in selling is shine and activa. They are not even sure about waiting period, didn't inquired anymore since they were not giving proper attention to my queries.

I loved benelli 300 looks and exhaust note, but it will be priced above my budget and lacks ABS.
R25/R3 will be priced above my budget as well so, i am stuck with CBR250/300 and KTM 390 series.
I have decided to wait 2-3 months after the launch of updated CBR250/300. If they price the ABS variant higher than KTM RC 390, I'd probably go for 390 duke/RC.

Honda sales team have always been very laid-back and care-free. But that shouldn't be an important factor when buying a new motorcycle with such limited options at hand. From my experience of buying two Honda motorcycles, they're fairly professional when it comes to processing the booking up until the delivery of the vehicle, even with waiting period involved.

If reliability and long term usage is what you're looking for, you should go for a Honda. Sure, the initial price maybe higher, but it will be a hassle-free motorcycle to own in the long run. KTM machines are not yet time-tested. Besides, the Duke/RC 200/390 first "free" service cost is close to ₹2k! I don't think Honda will charge that much for a "free" service. Also, the KTM machines require lots of parts replacement in relatively shorter intervals due to high wear and tear because of the stressed nature of the engine.

Plus, going by online ownership reports on Team-BHP and XBHP, the 390 is notorious for throwing up serious issues even in the late 2014 bikes. This was one of the most important reasons for my opting for a 200. The 200 seems to be more reliable of the two.

Another thing you must consider with any of the KTM steeds is that they're hard motorcycles. The throttle isn't smooth, the seat isn't soft, they're jerky at lower rpms. Take a long-ish testride or rent one for a day, if that option is available in your city, to see if you really like the bike. I'm personally not satisfied with the ride quality of the D200. The riding position itself is upright and excellent, but even an hour's ride in off-peak hours city traffic is fairly tiring. Add a pillion and both the rider and the pillion are uncomfortable. Maybe I'm still getting used to the bike, but these are my initial impressions.

If your current bike is doing well, I suggest you wait until a better bike turns up in the market. My 8 year-old Unicorn was throwing up far too many issues, so waiting wasn't an option for me.

If Honda/Yamaha launches a 200cc+ commuter motorcycle, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. :)

Don't listen to fanboys here, seeing same bajaj/ktm haters since years on this forum, my friends have been troubled by rubbish after sales services of Yamaha in a city like Bangalore and don't even talk about Honda, the sales person attitude itself will make sure that you won't buy CBR250 and many have been troubled in the past with absolutely pathetic spare parts availability of CBR250.

Stop researching on forums and test ride all the bikes and then decide what you like, i am quite sure it will be Duke 390 or RC390.

Did it ever occur to your mind that maybe, just MAYBE, there are people who are talking from their personal experiences?

get KTM RC 200 - fairing helps in highways, decent pickup for city commute.
I would have suggested 390 but you seem not to ride much.....just 14k kms in 3 years? I clock that much in around 7 months

CBR 250R is for the heavey tourer- no brainer ; this is the new Karizma.

As far as reliability is concerned all the bikes should easily last 1 lac kms with proper care until it needs major engine overhaul..
KTM 200/390/CBR consumable parts are pretty inexpensive.....but certain parts are ridiculously priced. Ask the dealership for a complete parts price list.

forget the ninja, servicing costs as much as a small suzuki car and maybe even more. Benelli will end up like the ninja, a niche commuter bike.

Servicing ? Really ? Changing oil, replacing brake pads, coolant, cleaning chain.....you could do this yourself on weekends.

the more important part is to look for a proper dealership who will not forget you the moment you hand in your money.

And Dont' wait, there wont be any bikes in the near future which can match D390s price/ perfomance.

get KTM RC 200 - fairing helps in highways, decent pickup for city commute.
I would have suggested 390 but you seem not to ride much.....just 14k kms in 3 years? I clock that much in around 7 months

CBR 250R is for the heavey tourer- no brainer ; this is the new Karizma.

As far as reliability is concerned all the bikes should easily last 1 lac kms with proper care until it needs major engine overhaul..
KTM 200/390/CBR consumable parts are pretty inexpensive.....but certain parts are ridiculously priced. Ask the dealership for a complete parts price list.

forget the ninja, servicing costs as much as a small suzuki car and maybe even more. Benelli will end up like the ninja, a niche commuter bike.

Servicing ? Really ? Changing oil, replacing brake pads, coolant, cleaning chain.....you could do this yourself on weekends.

the more important part is to look for a proper dealership who will not forget you the moment you hand in your money.

And Dont' wait, there wont be any bikes in the near future which can match D390s price/ perfomance.

RC200 lacks ABS :(

Can you give some examples of ktm parts that are ridiculously priced?
Almost all honda parts are expensive, 1800 for front brake pad and 1200 for rear :mad: and they don't even last more than 8000km (my friend's experience)

Servicing has to be done at ASC at proper schedule or else warranty will get screwed. I am servicing my FZ myself, haven't visited SVC since last 1.5 years.

I had almost zeroed in for duke 390 as it weighs less unlike CBR250 and offers more power. But with the issues people reporting these days with KTM bikes, i am hesitating in buying one. That's one of the reason i have decided to wait, since bajaj ktm are constantly updating these bikes and solving issues like fork leak, coolant flow etc. bikes purchased after Q3 should be more reliable than current KTMs. Moreover honda will launch their updated CBR series by then and i will have more options to test ride and decide if i wait.

Last edited:
CBR 300 will be priced closer to RC 390 and under powered and overweight.....Will u buy it?

If u have money and a bit.....hmm crazy I would suggest waiting for the Honda CBR 650F....should be around 8 lacs. Inline engine with a tourer configuration and decent power. I am saving for this.

@bmwfanboy Hence my advice to most flks who pose questions on what to buy - ride the vehicle, read a proper review of the pros and cons of each vehicle and then go for the one you think is the best. Taking a democraatic opinion in a country of 1.4 billion where everybody has an opinion is not a good idea :)

The Benelli is a beautiful machine - I understand beyond budget but beautiful still :)

CBR 300 will be priced closer to RC 390 and under powered and overweight.....Will u buy it?

If u have money and a bit.....hmm crazy I would suggest waiting for the Honda CBR 650F....should be around 8 lacs. Inline engine with a tourer configuration and decent power. I am saving for this.

I will think about it once CBR300 is launched. Will see if new buyers of ktm 390 series are reporting any issues. The only reason i am considering CBR is because of its reliability, which might not be the best, but its far better than ktm from what i see. I don't even like for anything else, its too heavy, doesn't look good to me and spares are expensive.

I can't even increase my budget for a Benelli 300/R3 let alone for a BN600/CBR650. The bike i am going to buy at this time will serve me as a daily commuter for next 8 (or even more) years. Even if i upgrade to a SBK in future, I will use it only for weekend joy rides, not as a daily commuter.

@bmwfanboy Hence my advice to most flks who pose questions on what to buy - ride the vehicle, read a proper review of the pros and cons of each vehicle and then go for the one you think is the best. Taking a democraatic opinion in a country of 1.4 billion where everybody has an opinion is not a good idea :)

The Benelli is a beautiful machine - I understand beyond budget but beautiful still :)

Yes :( I fell in love with it and its exhaust note but i've already streched my budget from 1.5L to 2.5L and that's the max i can afford.

Last edited:
update: I have decided i won't buy a KTM :( With so many issues people are reporting, it doesn't feel like it will serve me well for next 8 years or so. I will stick to honda and yamaha. I will try to increase my budget for R3/BN300

Back