Keep minimum balance of ₹3,000 or pay fine, says SBI

₹5k is too much for a bank like SBI? So would you close the account

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

swatkats

Skilled
Making it compulsory for account-holders to maintain a minimum balance, the State Bank of India (SBI) on Thursday said it will be charging defaulters a penalty from April 1 onwards.

Making maintenance of Rs 5,000 mandatory for accounts in metropolitan areas, Rs 3,000 in urban areas, Rs 2,000 in semi-urban areas and Rs 1,000 in rural areas, the SBI listed out the charges to be effective from April 1.

Source: http://profit.ndtv.com/news/banking...or-non-maintenance-of-minimum-balance-1665910

₹5000 minimum balance required in SBI savings account from April 1st.

If your average monthly account balance is

•less than ₹1350 = ₹115 fine
•If between ₹1351 - ₹2500 = ₹ 86 fine
•If between ₹2501- ₹4999 = ₹57 fine.

Last edited:
Service charges effective 01-04-2017: http://docdro.id/NUAglD2

Screenshot_20170309-201802_01.png

Last edited:
Wait, didn't they already have minimum balance requirements?

Screw em all i say, paisa ghar pe mattress ya safe mein rakho !

I never understood penalties like this.

If I don't have 5000 balance, it means I did not had money to put in. Or I needed all the cents i can get.

Why me being poor or not managing my money gives the bank an excuse to levy a penalty? Isn't that putting a burden on me?

I can understand a flat rate for payments in negative balance. Do Indian banks do that?

I opened account 12yrs back with MAB 500 bucks. Now what about that? Now icici will say maintain 40k flat for all accounts and so other banks as well.
And again this of 150 charges for withdrawing our own money. Great modi!

Last edited by a moderator:
sbi. I opened account 12yrs back with MAB 500 bucks. Now what about that? Now icici will say maintain 40k flat for all accounts and so other banks as well.
And again this of 150 charges for withdrawing our own money. Great modi!
Mitron, We offer Vault Construction services. 100% better than Godrej,Ozone etc.. Inspired from Switzerland banks.
Avail 10% discount this Cash crunch season. Avail Soon, Limited stocks.

ek2o13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
MAB is like forced FD which earns less than 4% interest. More finance for banks for lending to huge corporates who don't feel like paying back the amount.

I guess they could call it a monthly service charge for maintaining the account which is waived if you have more than a certain amount. Don't know why they are coming up with all these charges/changes now though.

I guess they could call it a monthly service charge for maintaining the account which is waived if you have more than a certain amount. Don't know why they are coming up with all these charges/changes now though.

Hmmm, makes sense, but mostly methinks with the bad npas and etc, and with MDR discounts, the banks are looking to pull in all money possible. If one looks at a bank like a service provider, they should put a yearly charge like 99 or 199 INR. debit card should be included.

I am not a free enterprise, customers must pay me for my services: Aditya Puri, HDFC Bank

yeah, and peoples money is free.
But you are earning from his deposits?
I am glad you asked that question. For example, we get a Rs 10,000 savings bank deposit. I have to pay 4% interest, 4% I have to keep as CRR. I earn around Rs 200 in one year. In this Rs 200, what all you want? Free ATM you want, no cheque book charge you want, no cash handling charge you want. If State Bank of India says that it's important to keep a minimum balance of Rs 5,000, kya bola hai bichari ne (What has Arundhati Bhattachar ..
BS. If the bank was really earning only 200 per 10k, how does he explain the crores of rupees he earns while being the head of such a large bank? What about the salaries of all the employees? yeah, no one is so stupid to believe that. The bank probably earns around 4-6k+ on every 10k deposited.

Last edited:
I am not a free enterprise, customers must pay me for my services: Aditya Puri, HDFC Bank

yeah, and peoples money is free.

BS. If the bank was really earning only 200 per 10k, how does he explain the crores of rupees he earns while being the head of such a large bank? What about the salaries of all the employees? yeah, no one is so stupid to believe that. The bank probably earns around 4-6k+ on every 10k deposited.

Just get the High Net Worth or Premium Bank account on HDFC and you will not have any such charges, free platinum debit card, free platinum credit card, unlimited ATM withdrawals from any ATM, free deposits etc.. There is no need of even wasting money in Savings account as they count Savings+FD for such bank accounts.

As always I am left to wonder if people actually try to understand all the angles before they start accusing of someone trying to rob someone else. Let me explain the other angle of this. The caveats on the below are - one, it tries to simplify the banking business to try and do an ELIF and two, read only if you can set politics, corruption etc aside for a moment.

I have worked for couple of banks. One of these banks, we had a training for developers - "Fundamentals of banking" and the MAB/MQB question was one of the hotly debated question towards the end of the session. The instructor had a simple way of explaining this- What is a function of any business? To make money. So what does a bank needs to do? Make money. And how do they do it? They rake in the difference between paying interest on saving accounts vs taking in interest in lieu of loans (this currently is ~8% on FD - ~4% on savings = 4% or larger in case of EMIs, housing loans etc).

But there are costs which banks have to bear too, while all savings are considered to be safe, as in money in hand, loans are not. So banks take a risk ie if they get one large loan wrong they wipe out all the commissions made on a very large number of saving accounts.

The 2nd cost is they have a very strict requirement on liquidity ie money in hand if there is a sudden surge in demand for withdrawal. So not all the savings can be converted to loans.

The third problem, specially in India, is the public benefit requirement ie opening and operating branches in places where they are not actually going to make profits but they have to. So their profit capacity is eroded further. There also schemes like Jan Dhan Yojna etc where they have to provide services while the account has 0 balance.

The fourth problem, record keeping, they need to maintain records for all transactions for a very long amount of time ~5-7 years. This is to ensure agencies can do forensic accounting and have a trace of all transactions in case something like money laundering is detected.

The fifth problem, postage. They need to spend money on cards, pin postage, sure they cost might not be high but it stacks up quickly because of "economics of scale".

Sixth, the outflow of money in terms of branches, ATMs, people, customer support, tech support, KYC document maintenance and whole lot of other things.

There were other but I can't remember.

All in all, banks expect to be able to make a certain amount of money from the difference of "interest rates". This is not like the "perfect law of thermodynamics" where money in = money out. Rather there are costs associated with it as explained in 5-6 points above.

The banks work backwards from this information and set an average profit expectation from accounts in lieu of the services they are providing. From this average profit expectation combined with interest rate change expectation and average loan risk, they work out an amount they need accounts to have for them to be able to make a profit ie the MQB/MAB. They also take cognizance of the income level difference between metro and rural areas, hence instead of putting a flat expectation, they have a tiered structure. So instead of everyone being worse off, only some are.

What happens if the profit per account expectation is not met? They put a fine. While deciding on the fine, they also have a prisoner's dilemma. If they fine is too low, people are going to ignore it and still not maintain the required balance, if it's too high, well this thread will be longer by 50 pages. So they put a fine which includes the profit expectation + encouragement to people to try and maintain the required balance.

But there are costs which banks have to bear too, while all savings are considered to be safe, as in money in hand, loans are not. So banks take a risk ie if they get one large loan wrong they wipe out all the commissions made on a very large number of saving accounts.

This is the root cause of all the issues. Smaller loans like Home loans, Car loans and even smaller personal loans are a lot safer. So the banks should let the big companies raise money from the market. People, even the small fish, who invest in the market, know of the risks when investing in such companies and the banks shouldn't be endangering common people's money by taking such unjustified risks.

Back