Linux KDE: It’s time for a fork

cool_cat

Adept
KDE: It’s time for a fork

June 28th, 2008 ·

OK, I’ve now tried KDE 4.1. I’d been assured that it would be better than KDE 4.0x. It is. That’s the good news. The bad news is that I still find KDE 4.1 to be inferior to KDE 3.5x.

KDE’s developers believe that KDE 4.1 “can fully replace KDE 3 for end users.†I don’t see it.
There are some fundamental changes for the better. Qt4, the cross-platform application framework, which underlies KDE 4 takes up less memory and should result in faster performance. I haven’t seen the promised performance benefits, but then KDE 4.1 is still in beta, whatever ‘beta’ means. So, in this setting—Kubuntu 8.04 and openSUSE 11 on Intel dual-core systems with two gigabytes of RAM—I’ll let KDE 4.1’s poor performance go by without additional comment.

My real problems with KDE 4.1 is far more fundamental. The developers believe that they have a better way of handling the desktop. For them, I’m sure they do. For users, this user anyway, the new desktop fails at a desktop’s main job: enabling the user to get their work done as easily as possible.

read the article fully @ :

KDE: It’s time for a fork

Everything worked fine for me :D KDE is a great DE.. and I'll continue using it whether its 3.5.x or 4.1.x :D , though I love the simplicity of Gnome too :)

no doubt kde being a gr8 DE.but IMHO ,kde-3.x is stabler.kde-4.x -they should have tagged it a longtime user trialbeta. :p

BTW ,I read nokia bought Trolltech already.that means what is the next question especialy with the future of QT and Kde :| o_O

I agree the changes are quite radical indeed but I still think that I like 4.1 better than 3.x in my opinion. yes it might not be as stable but then again theres a reason they use the beta word besides it :bleh: .

Although I can't reproduce most of the stability problems he complains about, his frustration with the environment is understandable. KDE 4.0.4 is still relatively incomplete and there are a lot of nice goodies in the latest 4.1 beta that offer a much better experience. Several readers encouraged him to take a look. He was apparently so disappointed with what he saw that he is now calling for a fork. His initial critique could have been the starting point for some meaningful open dialog about interface design and the technical direction of KDE 4, but bitterness on both sides has made that difficult.
This is exactly why i tell anyone I know to try out 4.1 Beta rather than KDE 4.

Back