PC Peripherals just a few queries.

ashr

Skilled
hi all. this is my first thread here. i've got a few doubts so i thought i'd ask them here. first of all, i'll be getting a 6600GT AGP or a 6800GS PCI-e in a week or so. my current motherboard however is AGP only so if i get the 6800GS i'll have to buy a new one. i was wondering if there are any 754 socket motherboards available in India with PCI-e support. there is the Asus K8N-4E which is socket 754 with PCI-e but i don't know if you get them here. i don't want to buy a socket 939 mobo because i don't think my current processor (AMD Athlon 64 2800+) would work on it. i don't quite have the money right now for a new processor as well so if possible i'd like to just get a socket 754 mobo with PCI-e support for now and build a totally new computer next summer when i go abroad or something. how much would it cost if available?

another thing is i've heard that a good PSU is essential but all the big brands like Antec and others are beyond my budget now. what kind of PSU would i need to run either of those 2 gfx cards? i'm NOT going to be doing any kind of overclocking so i basically only want something that works, not fancy stuff for extreme performance :)

my third questions is about the BenQ DW1655 DVD writer mentioned in a thread here. i was planning to pick up a DW1640 or 1625 today but this caught my eye so it would be good if someone could provide me with some info on pricing and availability in India.

lastly, how much can i sell a Radeon 9600 pro and an MSI Neo FIS2R (http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=496 - second chipset) motherboard for? both of them are exactly one year old now.

thanks in advance

1. Couple of people have spotted the Asus K8N4-E , so I guess it should be available. What you're looking for is a board based on the nF4-4X chipset. I think the MSI K8N Neo3 is an option. And also the DFI nF4X Infinity. You could also check out the MSI RS480/RS482 Socket 754 board based on the ATI Radeon Xpress 200 chipset. Please be careful as there is a Socket 939 version of the boards as well.

2. If a cheap but decent PSU is what you want, then give the Powersafe a try. I've seen people blowing up lower-end PSU's like the Zebronics with even a mid-range 6600GT card.

3. AFAIK the DW1655 is a pretty new model, so i'm not sure if its available as yet - will wait for someone else to answer that.

4. You could try for a price of around 3 ~ 4K for the 9600 Pro. Socket 754 boards are a bit hard to sell these days, so you'd have to price it pretty low.

ashr said:
my third questions is about the BenQ DW1655 DVD writer mentioned in a thread here. i was planning to pick up a DW1640 or 1625 today but this caught my eye so it would be good if someone could provide me with some info on pricing and availability in India.

I had posted about the BENQ 1655 - dont wait for this one .... even the older model the 1650 has not yet arrived here. It will probably take some months to arrive.

I have the 1640 and I think it is GREAT !! :)

Well, the BenQ 1640 is for 1800. I think that the 1655 is stil lnot available.

I Myself am about the sell my HP dvd640 for the BenQ dw1640.

A Cheap PSU, youd wanna buy the Powersafe 400W or 450W, its for ~1500.

VIA are also avalaible for around the same price.

9600 Pro, w/ box and original disc's can go for 3k.

The MSI Neo FIS2R w/ box and original disc's can go for around 4k. If you find good buyers.

^typo with the 1640 price.

Youre not going to get a powersafe in chennai, youll probly have to get it shipped in from bangalore. Will pm the contact if you want it.

goldenfrag said:
Well, the BenQ 1640 is for 1800. I think that the 1655 is stil lnot available.
I Myself am about the sell my HP dvd640 for the BenQ dw1640.

A Cheap PSU, youd wanna buy the Powersafe 400W or 450W, its for ~1500.
VIA are also avalaible for around the same price.

9600 Pro, w/ box and original disc's can go for 3k.
The MSI Neo FIS2R w/ box and original disc's can go for around 4k. If you find good buyers.

1640 is for 1800? :rofl: :rofl: : :tongue:

Benq 1640 is a DVDRW costing 2,700 to 3,200

thanks for the quick replies. ill look into the powersafe PSU and i'll get the DW1640 itself then. How about DW1625? the Lightscribe looks pretty interesting. is there a big difference in performance between the 2 models?

@Crazy_Eddy, would you know the appoximate prices of those boards?

Last edited by a moderator:
ashr said:
@Crazy_Eddy, would you know the appoximate prices of those boards?

The DFI NF4X Infinity price is put up in the CPU/Mobo corner section. Its listed at 4.5K, and TE members also get a discount. The MSI RS 48x board is also around the same 4K price. No idea about the Asus or MSI board prices.

How about DW1625? the Lightscribe looks pretty interesting. is there a big difference in performance between the 2 models?

Lightscribe is indeed interesting, but dont let it guide your choice when buying a drive.

The DW 1625 comes nowhere close to any of the current crop of good drives available. IIRC, TechHead mentioned Kprobe graphs are missing on this drive too! Lightscribe takes a good 1/2 n hour or more and produces just decent monochrome graphics on your discs, LightScribe CD-Rs cost around 45 per disc, so dont be too carried away as yet. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly what is lightscribe??

I have the HP dvd640 supporting lightscribe but i thought lightscribe is just printing the CD Label and sticking it on the Disc.

What is it actually? A Direct burn onto the Disc? :S.

^^ yeah.

LightScribe is a technology that utilizes specially coated recordable CD and DVD media to produce laser etched labels. LightScribe was invented by Hewlett-Packard and licensed to numerous hardware manufacturers, media manufacturers and software developers.

The surface of a LightScribe disc is coated with a reactive dye that changes color when it absorbs 780nm infrared laser light. The etched label lasts approximately 9 months under indoor lighting without fading, but optical media should always be stored in the dark, so the label should last longer than 9 months in real-world application.

LightScribe labels burn in concentric circles, moving outward from the center of the disc. Images with the largest diameters will take longest to burn. Currently LightScribe is monochromatic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightScribe

Lightscribe though a interesting technology hasnt taken off well here. There arent any lightscribe cds/dvds available. Only ones are verbatim cd-rs which cost a whopping 45 bucks a piece. So lightscribe is a gimmick right now. Get the 1640.

heh thanks. i thought you could use lightscribe on any ordinary cd or dvd. about the motherboard, shall i go for that DFI NF4X Infinity then? i've never actually used one of their products but i've heard good things about them. how does it compare to the asus k8n-4e and the msi k8n-neo 3 in terms of performance? are they easily available? i live in chennai by the way.

if you are not an overclocker & if u get the asus board for around the same price like dfi i would suggest asus cause they are established here.

but i dont know the performance diff in the 2 boards if there is any. check some reviews n decide.

^ Agree with stormblast, the DFI is more of an enthusiast-oriented board. If you want an easy to use mobo/BIOS, then the Asus would be a good choice. OTOH, the DFI's warranty cant be beaten - anything goes wrong with your mobo, its swapped immediately!

Performance difference will be negligible between the two boards at same settings. Ever since the memory controller went on-die for the A64's, there's really not much more a board can do to improve performance.

Hehe, well in that case I guess you'd have to go for the cheaper option. BTW, 4.5K is the indicated price.. TE members get a bit more discount :)

Back