Joggers! Your source of energy/strength?

Excellent peice of advice, I hope there are no side effects with those meds. Will google myself, though, please do share your views as well.

No side effects, they are all natural supplements no chemicals ;)

L-GLUTAMINE

L-glutamine is the most prevalent amino acid in the blood. Human cells readily manufacture L-glutamine and under normal circumstances, dietary intake and production of L-glutamine is sufficient. However, in times of stress or increased energy output, the body's tissues need more L-glutamine than usual, making supplementation important.

One of the main reasons that supplements with L-glutamine are so safe for your body is that it already occurs naturally in your body. The benefits that you obtain when using such natural supplements as L-glutamine can be amazing such as the great anti-catabolic agent that it provides, protecting your muscles from hormone cortisol and the catabolic activities that are involved. Many people favor the way this supplement can help your recuperate much faster from weight training workouts and others love the fact that it helps to boost your immune system.

L-Glutamine is an amino acid, just like protein. It is the most abundant free amino acid in muscle tissue, and it plays a principal role in protein metabolism, cell volumizing, and anti-catabolism. Yes, lots of big fancy words, however, "anti-catabolism" is the reason that I started to use it and continue to do so. Catabolism is the breaking down of your muscles, which is something that you don't want to happen. Doing cardio or aerobic activity could have a catabolic effect on your muscles. Your body needs something to burn for energy when you jog, run, walk, ride a bike, jump rope, take an aerobics class or do any other form of cardio, and sometimes your body uses your own muscle for energy.

This is where L-Glutamine comes in. Since it is an "Anti-catabolic" it will allow you to maintain as much muscle as possible and prevents muscle cell breakdown, while allowing you to burn more fat.

GLUCOSAMINE

Glucosamine is an important building block needed by the body to manufacture specialized molecules called glycosaminoglycans, found in cartilage.

For a long time, glucosamine dominated the market among supplements used to ease joint pain. Now, many practitioners prefer to use a combination of both glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate. Many have found this combination to be effective, particularly for runners, who tend to develop problems with their knees. Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate are well absorbed by the molecules that make up cartilage. They are not available from food.

I have problems with my wrists too... so I recently suggested another TE member tried Glucosamine for problematic wrist joints like carpal tunnel or repetitive syndromes... for me I have had some success, so I take it daily. I also take l-glutamine daily, this is also good for anyone. For athletes, runners, or people working out it will help maintain muscle while you burn fat, for other people it will help boost your immune system too.

Nikhil said:
Whatever you do, aim to do it for 20-30 mins continuously. Walking, slow jogging, whatever. Dont push yourself and tire yourself out in 10-15 mins.

Finally i went out today :bleh:

Walked for 200m and then started slow jogging.. Within 500 mtrs. Calf muscles gave up :ashamed: Although I didnt feel very tired..Then walked again for 300m - slow joggin again.. Did 500m again..

Again Same routine twice.. Then Flatout sprint for last 300mtrs.. Damn after that sprint.. There was wierd itchy feeling in my thighs :S

After that sprint i took stairs..Although Staggered my way up :rofl:

Calf Muscles ka locha is worrisome.. Everytime i started slow jogging.. Calf muscles would give up way too early..:huh:

Nice- i lost a lot of fat just thinking of and visualising all the hard work you guys mentioned here. :eek:hyeah:

Have a nice day everyone- i am off to my daily routine of 'brisk walking with arms flailing' early in the morning. :D in my sleep

dipen01 said:

Walked for 200m and then started slow jogging.. Within 500 mtrs. Calf muscles gave up :ashamed: Although I didnt feel very tired..Then walked again for 300m - slow joggin again.. Did 500m again..

Again Same routine twice.. Then Flatout sprint for last 300mtrs.. Damn after that sprint.. There was wierd itchy feeling in my thighs :S

Calf Muscles ka locha is worrisome.. Everytime i started slow jogging.. Calf muscles would give up way too early..:huh:

That is the same problem with me too. I am fit enough to run for a long time but my legs give way too early.
That is why I prefer swimming or cycling which dont put so much stress on your knees, calf muscles, feet, etc...

dipen01 said:

That is the same problem with me too. I am fit enough to run for a long time but my legs give way too early.
That is why I prefer swimming or cycling which dont put so much stress on your knees, calf muscles, feet, etc...

Kumar said:
Do you put on weight when you exercise? Asking because since started jogging, i put on 7kgs!

Hell no !! I have lost weight if I exercise regularly and take care of my diet !!

Have you been eating extra food thinking that it's ok to eat as I exercise ?

Secondly, where you skinny before ? What I mean is, even if you were overweight, were you only bones and fat with no muscles ? If you exercise regularly, you build muscles. For running, your calf muscles, thigh muscles, etc become stronger and that might add to your weigjt. Not 7 kgs though !!

I think it's your eating habits alone which have contributed to your weight going up.

Have you been drinking too much of those energy drinks ?

nah dude i don't eat junk food. I started jogging when I came to know I have diabetes. Since then no sugar, no oils, no nothing and then daily jogging.

Hmmm.... maybe it's because of your diabetes. One of the symptoms of Diabetes is that you put on weight.

From here on, it's out of our friendly advice and into the hands fo your doctor. Please speak to your doc. Dont delay it.

yes gone to the doc...infact he said if one has diabetes, one loses weight then as the blood sugar level comes back to normal(through good diet and exercise) one puts on weight. But i have overshot my weight by 2kgs lol.

Also, im thinking of putting up a thread on diabetes symptoms....

Kumar said:
yes gone to the doc...infact he said if one has diabetes, one loses weight then as the blood sugar level comes back to normal(through good diet and exercise) one puts on weight. But i have overshot my weight by 2kgs lol.

Also, im thinking of putting up a thread on diabetes symptoms....

That will be very useful.

^^ Help me see the funny side of this. He has a diabetes problem because of which he put on weight - there isnt remotely funny that i find about this.

dipen01 said:

Same thing happened to me some time back and i thought there was something odd with me :p . May be its a regular thing to happen with first timers.

I think it should be fine after a week or 10 days.

Kumar said:
nah dude i don't eat junk food. I started jogging when I came to know I have diabetes. Since then no sugar, no oils, no nothing and then daily jogging.

You are 25 and have diabetes. I never bothered checking my sugar level. I though i would start doing that after i turn 30

Make sure you stretch your calf muscles before jogging.

Dont stretch too much. There are two schools of thought regarding stretching.

Some say you should stretch properly before workout. However the more commonly accepted belief is that do some light stretching before workout and the heavy stretching after workout. This is better because the muscles and tendons are warm, limber and loose and chances of injuries are lesser.

To stretch the claf, place the front part of your foot on some wall or whatever with the heel on the ground. Then push forward.

Basically, it is like pulling your toes back towards your body..

cyrux said:
Same thing happened to me some time back and i thought there was something odd with me :p . May be its a regular thing to happen with first timers.

I think it should be fine after a week or 10 days.

lol i hope i am able to go tomorrow.. coz my legs still feel weak :S

@Darth and Cyrux

Mine is hereditary and not related to diet. Even so, you better get tested for glucose levels as indians are VERY prone to diabetes...it is in their genes.

Back