Jio Airfiber

Hi All,
So just read that Jio Airfiber is launching on 19th Sept.
I am very excited about it but I have few doubts which I am not even able to find it clear on their Jio website.

I think they have not updated it yet. So incase someonehere knows can help me

Currently I am using Jio 5g on my mobile. It has been a fantastic experience since last month when I realised 5g is full free and no limit on data and speed is too good.
As I am mostly travelling and need a good speed for ipad and laptop . Keeping my mobile hotspot on makes it very hot.

So I am excited about this Airfiber thing.

My only doubt is ....i just dont need to install anything like the dish and all?

This router thing (Airfiber) works on sim right so basically it is just be like mobile thing and I can carry anywhere in India and it should work as long as that area has 5G, am i right?
And the charges will be same as wire fiber connection I believe.

If all this is true....man this is god sent for me. I have had been dealing with very limited date and not so good 4G connection since almost over a year.

Hi All,
So just read that Jio Airfiber is launching on 19th Sept.
I am very excited about it but I have few doubts which I am not even able to find it clear on their Jio website.

I think they have not updated it yet. So incase someonehere knows can help me

Currently I am using Jio 5g on my mobile. It has been a fantastic experience since last month when I realised 5g is full free and no limit on data and speed is too good.
As I am mostly travelling and need a good speed for ipad and laptop . Keeping my mobile hotspot on makes it very hot.

So I am excited about this Airfiber thing.

My only doubt is ....i just dont need to install anything like the dish and all?

This router thing (Airfiber) works on sim right so basically it is just be like mobile thing and I can carry anywhere in India and it should work as long as that area has 5G, am i right?
And the charges will be same as wire fiber connection I believe.

If all this is true....man this is god sent for me. I have had been dealing with very limited date and not so good 4G connection since almost over a year.
Proper FWA requires an outdoor unit with the necessary antenna and frequency converters/amplifiers which then connects to the internal unit which is mostly a router. Usually the ODU costs quite a bit due to which FWA has not picked up much in remote areas in other countries where it is intended for.

Theoretically, they could just have an indoor unit which won't be much better in performance than a phone modem. It is basically what we had 2 decades ago with Reliance Communications and its CDMA landline. That is usually not a practical replacement for fiber connections in terms of reliability, performance or latency.

Have to see what Jio settles with considering they are aiming for rural and remote terrains with this service and what kind of data limits it comes with considering 5G bandwidth utilisation will also increase as more people purchase 5G phones.

Proper FWA requires an outdoor unit with the necessary antenna and frequency converters/amplifiers which then connects to the internal unit which is mostly a router. Usually the ODU costs quite a bit due to which FWA has not picked up much in remote areas in other countries where it is intended for.

Theoretically, they could just have an indoor unit which won't be much better in performance than a phone modem. It is basically what we had 2 decades ago with Reliance Communications and its CDMA landline. That is usually not a practical replacement for fiber connections in terms of reliability, performance or latency.

Have to see what Jio settles with considering they are aiming for rural and remote terrains with this service and what kind of data limits it comes with considering 5G bandwidth utilisation will also increase as more people purchase 5G phones.
Hmm..
IF my phone jio sim is to be considered. The 5G connection I am getting is great for my use. I mostly need to stream , download and upload files etc but yes online gaming is very poor but I dont care much about gaming.
But if i have to put any outdoor unit then this is not for me.

100967971.png

This is the network depiction. ODU costs around $150-200 globally and Jio is stating a 20% discount on market rate, so seems it will at least cost 10k for the ODU, even if they include the router for free with some plans.

Hmm..
IF my phone jio sim is to be considered. The 5G connection I am getting is great for my use. I mostly need to stream , download and upload files etc but yes online gaming is very poor but I dont care much about gaming.
But if i have to put any outdoor unit then this is not for me.
In short words, it's not as portable as you're probably expecting it to be. It's a modem/router that connects to ISP without wire. So, you need power input - most likely a barrel one.

This is how it will be:
Except the outdoor unit? Their website makes no mention of one. I'm assuming it's similar to this -

In short words, it's not as portable as you're probably expecting it to be. It's a modem/router that connects to ISP without wire. So, you need power input - most likely a barrel one.

Except the outdoor unit? Their website makes no mention of one. I'm assuming it's similar to this -

Jio specifically quoted that they will be properly implementing FWA unlike Airtel which is basically selling a glorified 5G dongle.

Jio specifically quoted that they will be properly implementing FWA unlike Airtel which is basically selling a glorified 5G dongle.
Didn't know they said that. Then how is it "plug-and-play", as they've put in their website? Do they provide these ODUs fixed in public places alongside their towers?

Didn't know they said that. Then how is it "plug-and-play", as they've put in their website? Do they provide these ODUs fixed in public places alongside their towers?

The image I used previously is from their investor presentation.

The vice president also made a statement about their FWA being state of the art a year ago and mentioned some details on the ODU back then.

Why not just buy a hotspot device instead?
I want unlimited data( FUP-3Tb etc is okay) plan too like these Airfibers are giving.

Right now mobile jio 5g is free (unlimited data) but I think this is just trial. They will change this before World Cup.
then I will need something like the plans coming with these Airfibers.

I want unlimited data( FUP-3Tb etc is okay) plan too like these Airfibers are giving.

Right now mobile jio 5g is free (unlimited data) but I think this is just trial. They will change this before World Cup.
then I will need something like the plans coming with these Airfibers.
Just remember that Airtel is going for the short term market. Their performance will only deteriorate with many 5G users in the same area.

Proper FWA is meant to address this in terms of how it connects to the base station and utilises the bandwidth, compared to phones.

Just remember that Airtel is going for the short term market. Their performance will only deteriorate with many 5G users in the same area.

Proper FWA is meant to address this in terms of how it connects to the base station and utilises the bandwidth, compared to phones.
Since I mostly need for rural areas . We won't have much users anyways.

Airtel Airfiber right now is only in Delhi and Mumbai.

Since I mostly need for rural areas . We won't have much users anyways.

Airtel Airfiber right now is only in Delhi and Mumbai.
Yeah, they are just trying to monitise the 5G bandwidth when users are less. The 3.3TB FUP is also an introductory offer and they are only offering 6 month packs as of now, so basically it will switch to a data limited plan after that as 5G users increase.

Are there any 5G mobile dongles? Searched a lot but could not find one.
Because there are none available in the market. Probably on account of modem cost (and may be insufficiency of USB-A to power it). They will crop up only when 5G volume becomes mainstream and modem costs become comparable to 4G.

Back