Is there a way to shift Whatsapp to a new phone without losing old conversations?

deusExMachina

Disciple
This is something I've been wondering about a while. Media (gallery) is easy enough to shift but is there a way to shift Whatsapp to a new phone while preserving all the ancient chat histories? Also would be nice to know if there was a way to back them up as well.

I've tried using the 'backup to google account' option from the settings before but it didn't really do much.

This is something I've been wondering about a while. Media (gallery) is easy enough to shift but is there a way to shift Whatsapp to a new phone while preserving all the ancient chat histories? Also would be nice to know if there was a way to back them up as well.

I've tried using the 'backup to google account' option from the settings before but it didn't really do much.
In recent updates Whatspp folder shifted to Android>Media>com.whatsapp , atleast in my all Samsung devices
Wherever the folder ,
i used to make a latest backup of Whatsapp (from Settings) in device first
Then using any appropriate app make a Zip out of it ( I use Solid Explorer)
transfer that zip to new phone whatsapp folder location
Unzip
Start activation of whatsapp in new device
Most important remember give all permissions it asks including storage .
It picks up the backup and gives whatsapp as when you zipped it .
If you are finicky about msgs after making zip , do the zip after switching off data
Reason for zip is that for me 70% of time data transfer to PC then new phone fails

Last edited:
I thought all those chat backups that occur on my phone at 2am everynight, more or less backs up all the chats as well, and incase I ever get a new phone and I login with my number again, all the chat history would be there.

Anyone else facing really long backup time to google? I'm wondering if it's just my ISP BSNL because I faced this on both Samsung and moto phone

From Android to Android is quite easy just take a backup from what's app setting>chats>chat backup to Google drive once done install the what's app on the new device with the same Google account and once u login into what's app as soon u enter OTP it restores the date from the Google drive.

From Android to Apple to android one need to purchaser a tool I0use Dr.Fone Wonder share to transfer chats from Apple to Android.

Back