Is Piracy Good?

Bluffmaster

Skilled
Is Piracy Good?

Those Super Meat Boy guys believe piracy is the future. They WANT you to steal their games.

Team Meat is two guys, Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes, best known for the highly regarded platformer Super Meat Boy, and the forthcoming The Binding of Isaac, a dungeon-esque shooter due out on Steam next month.

super-meat-boy-20110727020051506.jpg

McMillen believes that the more people who steal his games, the more will eventually buy them. He sees piracy as nothing more than a huge sampling exercise. "If the game gets pirated heavily, if it's a good game that people really like, they're going to either buy it eventually or they're going to tell other people about it. Either way it's just going to come back to a sale." Team Meat is based in the city of Santa Cruz, CA, which prides itself on being weird and counter-cultural. But in games industry terms, these guys aren't just iconoclasts or oddities, they are heretics. The games industry hates piracy. Probably, the games industry would happily agree to the death penalty for anyone caught downloading free goodies.
McMillen has no time for this "old" way of thinking. "The dinosaurs of marketing are really upset by piracy. They think it's literally stealing," he says. "They're old. That's really the reason. They're old and their ideas are old. They don't understand where we are now. They don't understand the mentality of people who are pirating things. They see them as thieves, the same people who go and shoplift. I don't f*@#ing shoplift but I have pirated sh@%-loads of stuff. Like it's just not the same, it's not the same thing at all."
Tommy Refenes adds, "They spend so much money trying to prevent it but they are wasting everyone's time. They are damaging their own businesses. Those gamers who got screwed by DRM problems? I guarantee those people are going to think twice before they buy another game from that publisher." "Sh@% changed," says McMillen, warming to his theme. "Deal with it. Sh@% went digital and this is how it works now. It's really easy to copy and give to other people."
There's a strange paradox going on here. Because although these guys believe piracy is a good thing, its utility as a marketing tool partly depends on people feeling guilty about the act of stealing. People often try games for free, without permission of the copyright holder, but when they like something, they want to own it because they feel bad. So wait, piracy is ok, so long as you feel bad about it? McMillen explains, "The majority of emails that we get that revolve around piracy are people saying, 'I just want to get this off my chest, I stole your game when it came out because I wasn't sure about it and I really, really, really love it and so I bought it because I feel really guilty.' This is a common email."
But there's also the argument that piracy as a sampling tool drives gamers towards the benefits of actual ownership. "Steam knows what it's doing," says McMillen. "It hits the piracy demographic of people who download loads of stuff but when something is on sale they'll buy it because they want to have it to own on Steam for achievements or for leader boards or for social whatever." These guys see piracy as a way for consumers to sort out bad games from good games, before making a purchase. But the economic model breaks down when everybody pirates games, when there's no sense of taboo or guilt. This is why the games industry in countries like India, Russia, and Brazil has struggled to make a dime.
But McMillen and Refenes believe that the growth of free-to-play is just more proof of their theory, that people will happily try games for free any way they can, but will pay for extra benefits if they are made available - something that has never been a part of the piracy scene in countries where piracy has ruled supreme. Refenes says that the piracy scene just saves them the bother of making a demo. "That is our demo," he says.
McMillen adds, "I'll tell you a story that is true. When Meat Boy came out on PC and torrents started going up on Pirate Bay, I would check, I had a friend of mine who said, 'congratulations, I just saw your game in the top 50 on Pirate Bay for games,' and I checked and we were 30th and I was depressed because it wasn't higher, because that's a measure of success." Team Meat judges number of people stealing their games as a measure of success, because they believe that a significant enough proportion of the downloaders will either buy the game themselves, or influence someone else to pay for the game. This is certainly not something the games industry believes, but the move toward free-to-play, in which publishers give permission for their games to be played for free, is likely to change everyone's perspectives.

IGN

A great article. It explains my views on piracy exactly. Its refreshing to see this coming from a developer. Finally someone who truly understands how things work in the modern world.

Some thoughts shared by the creator were actually my opinion too.
Anyways the real reason people in india do not buy games is because of the internet scene.
Had the internet scene been better than i am sure many would have tried the multiplayer and had to buy the game eventually.

I started gaming with pirated cds of Maxpayne,hitman etc from local dvd shops and from friends.Those games made me a big fan of video games and now i have a collection of Original DVDs worth at least 8000 rs.

give me HDD filled with all games for all Platform, then i will spread to the world... he he..

Actually most people ends downloading games because they are tired of buying sick games, so demo of games is needed... once they satisfy with it, they buy to support the developers to make more games like this...

the second thing people download games because they cant afford to buy the game but can afford to get large bandwidth,, ofcourse..

These two ain't too much bothered about piracy as they have made a game without spending too much.

Surely the cost and effort of making a game like Crysis 2 or LA Noire ought to be greater than what these guys might have spent.

Although the bigger developers do recover costs by selling games, dlcs, and sometimes unlockables at outrageous prices.

I like the views and strategy of Valve when it comes to making profits from its games, almost forcing gamers to buy games and services by providing exceptional after sales experience.

People believe only what they want to believe. These guys only think of one side of the community. Theres a different part of the community too..I know guys who will pirate no matter what. Even if its sold for Rs.100, they will pirate it as long as it exists in torrents. Piracy is never good. This not only applies to the gaming industry. But to books, movies, software, whatever..

People Love Piracy

Developers Hate It

Its a known fact...

Most people in the world can't afford to buy everything that's why they prefer to download it for free... If everyone in this world would have been rich then piracy would never even have existed... :)

^The picture is not as black & white as you have painted. There are shades of grey too. Yes, there are people who would pirate just because they can but that doesn't mean its a lost sale for the company. Had the game not been pirated, these people wouldn't have bought the game anyways. If anything, they will somehow indirectly contribute to a sale by referring the game (if its good) to their friends or on the internet and that is exactly how the above developers are looking at piracy. Its not a question of whether piracy is good or evil, its more to do with how to deal with it. All the big shot companies have invested millions of dollars in trying to come up with a way to make their games uncrackable, has it worked for any of them so far? If anything, these companies have lost genuine customers due to their stupid DRM policies. So, instead of fighting piracy, these companies should embrace it and try to come up with a way to make even a pirate buy their game.

I think you took my post in a wrong way... Well every developer dont think in a way as the developer of whom you have posted about... Most developers want to get paid for the work and effort they put in... No matter the game they have produced sells well or not they want to get paid... they at no cost would like to see their game distributing for free... Lets not forget the developers who do developing for a living and are not very rich... how they used to feel when they see that their softwares/games are distributing for free in which they put their blood and sweat for developing them... Whether you say its good or bad most developers would consider piracy bad only...

Those who pirate senselessly will always pirate. Even if they have a 70K gaming PC.

Those who buy will always buy.

Note the spoiler below is insanely hypocritic, idiotic and utterly stupid and contains stuff about anti-piracy. View at your own risk/discretion. And don't forget to flame and use motivational pics to insult the spoiler

To change a pirate to legit:-

pirate like sh**> pirate more> keep pirating> pirate and say that you hate piracy> keep saying it>keep saying it, come on now, just a little more > get bashed, ignore-listed> let them flame you> let them insult you>

>don't stop saying that you hate piracy, but you must still pirate games> get back at them haters> get insulted more> sit down and take a deep breath> now let those insults, flames, hates, and all of them filthy stuff get inside> let them work their way through> can you feel guilty? of-course you can> now start buying> keep buying > come on now, i know you have a piggy bank hidden under your bed, buy some more> no money? don't play games> buy when you get money> avail them awesome steam sales> get more legit games> you won't pirate games ever again.

Piracy is NOT good. period.

you wouldn't mind paying whatever a multiplex charges for a crappy movie...which you decided to go for based on the trailers/word-of-mouth marketing, then why the eff do you need to pirate a game first to check if you would/would not mind paying for it.

jojothedragon said:
Note the spoiler below is insanely hypocritic, idiotic and utterly stupid and contains stuff about anti-piracy. View at your own risk/discretion. And don't forget to flame and use motivational pics to insult the spoiler

LOL. I got who that was for :p

jojothedragon said:
Those who pirate senselessly will always pirate. Even if they have a 70K gaming PC.

Those who buy will always buy.

Not true jojo. In college when I didn't have any money I used to pirate everything. Now that I work and have a source of income, I buy games as much as my budget permits (and then some, damn you Steam sales :p) But it is never good. Quit your job, spend one year making a game. Then publish it and see it being downloaded by 10,000 people from piratebay. I bet that won't feel very good. Everybody wants to get paid for their time, effort and creativity, it's only natural.

And then there are people on the other side of the spectrum who WANT people to pirate their stuff, reason : pirate sites allows their stuff to reach a wider diaspora of users, much more than any "label" would have fetched them anyway.

The new thinking is : if you can make your s/w, h/w reach 1000 people and in future 20 of them buy it, it's better than try forcing a $10 price tag down their throats by sticking with a publisher/label.

Read: After the Napster fiasco, look how Metallica has had to change their stand against piracy. Sometimes availability or lack of it leads people to download them off torrents etc. of course, a comeercially successful band like Metallica can afford to, too. What happens to indie developers? Forget developers anybody in any profession who has just started out.

Microsoft's biggest fear for years has been piracy, but because they haven't been able to stop it they have championed the idea now.
"If you are pirating at all, pirate ours".

It's hard to understand how people starting off as a musician/programmer/writer will make money, if pirates keep stealing from them.
Of course the super meat guys have come out with this statement, they can afford to. They have built a brand for themselves and any Publisher will be more than happy to pay them for whatever they put out next.

Piracy is stealing. Period. But then there is Robin Hood, no?

Really like OP. Lots of respect for Team Meat!

I completely agree with their sentiment. Just because a game got pirated 10 billion fukking times, doesnt mean the developers will automatically end up on street. Good games WILL get pirated and the same good games WILL make money also. They are not mutually exclusive.

Just because a game got pirated 10 billion fukking times, doesnt mean the developers will automatically end up on street

WRONG!! if it was pirated 10 billion ****ing times it does not mean I end up on street, it means I've lost 10 billion * price tag.

That's good business, right?

And don't get me wrong , between Corp sell outs and indie devs, I'll always support the devs, but piracy is just bad business for people who are making a living off selling games. If tomorrow you become an MBA, let's see you back piracy when you get a chance to front EA India (hypothetical situation).

Super Meat guys are playing cool by sticking it to the man by putting out these statements. You'll find tons of cases in the International Music scene.

I have a friend who will spend 120 bucks on DVDs of a pirated game but if I tell him about the game being available online for $3.49, he will just say who the fu** buys original games.... Some people will pirate no matter what. According to me, the following things will solve the piracy problems in India:

1. Better internet

2. Digital distribution platforms like steam with their awesome sales

3. Easy payment options there.

4. At least some check on illegal checks. I have never ever heard about anyone ever getting in trouble for downloading pirated stuff in India.

quixand said:
WRONG!! if it was pirated 10 billion ****ing times it does not mean I end up on street, it means I've lost 10 billion * price tag.

That's good business, right?

Do you seriously believe that "One free download = One lost sale?" If a game is not pirated, not even 5% of pirates would contribute to a sale. Gaming industry is similar to the movie industry wherein the good to bad film/game ratio is 5 : 95. Thanks to the internet and gaming websites you only know/care about the major games released by big publishers whereas thousands of below average games are released every year. Do you seriously think anyone would even care trying to play a below average/lesser known games were it not for piracy? You need to look at the bright side of the things as well, piracy does give a lot of exposure to certain games which without a good marketing budget would otherwise go unnoticed. Word of mouth works the best on internet, a pirate will indirectly contribute to a sale at some point if he finds the game worth his time.

In an ideal world, yes piracy would be bad news but as things stand today, one thing is quite clear that piracy cannot be contained. A developer knows the scene better than us, they know what they are getting into. As it is with the movies, if a game is good, it will make money maybe a little less were it not pirated but it will make money nonetheless. You simply cannot ignore that fact. Piracy is not stealing, people just like sharing stuff. Would you and your best friend buy the original copy of the same game of will it make sense for one of you to buy the original and share it with each other. Would that qualify as pirating as well?

As far as morality of pirating stuff is concerned, I think most of us are pure hypocrites, even the ones who buy original games. Tell me something, is your morality only limited to games? Do you not pirate music, movies, TV? Of all the members here who buy original games, how many of them buy original music? or how many of them waits for DVD/Bluray of a hit TV show to come out before watching the same?

In my opinion, if you are really concerned about the morality of pirating stuff than better go the whole way and not pirate anything, period. You are not fooling anyone by saying I wanna support the developers hence I am buying the game but you still carry around a 1 TB collection of your favorite music. Do the rules change here? Is there no hardwork involved in making music, movies or TV? Why the double standards, I ask.

I am not suggesting that everyone should just turn into a pirate but what I want to say is one should stop judging people who do pirate. They have their reasons and you are no saint either.

Back