Is my prepaid number safe If I don't make any calls?

raksrules

Elite
I am currently in US and have 2 Vodafone Mumbai prepaid numbers. I usually try making calls each month or two to keep the numbers active. But recently I saw a text on my phone that my account has been charged Rs. 20 for reactivation (or something like that). I think I read that now operators cannot just disconnect an unused prepaid number and instead charge 20 rupees a month until the balance is over and then they can disconnect.

Is this true and worth relying on? I haven't really asked Vodafone yet. But I have made sure I have 300 rupees plus balance on both my numbers.

A friend converted his Idea post-paid to pre-paid last year, he kept the number along with him in US. After six months the card got deactivated. I tried to get back that card as a post-paid connection with all his documents but all went in vain.

There is some policy for pre-paid connection that one needs to recharge it in some interval (6 months RS 200 may be) to keep the card services active.

Worst part is - Idea representative says the card now will be re-issued in market as prepaid and don`t know where in Maharashtra it will come for sale.

i usually just browse the net for few minutes from the sim i don't use frequently. Data use is enough to keep sim active.

Here's the extract from the Vodafone India website:

prepaid:
  • As per govt. regulations w.e.f 22nd March '13, for connections without any usage (voice/video calls, Outgoing SMS, internet usage, VAS purchases with balance) for 90 days, fullowing actions are liable to be performed by Vodafone.
  • For subscribers with less than Rs. 20 balance, all services will be deactivated pending payment of Reactivation Fee for a period of 15 days. Number will be disconnected on non-payment of said Fee within this period.
  • For subscribers with more than Rs. 20 balance, Automatic Number Retention Scheme will be put into effect - Rs. 20 will be deducted and services will continue for 30 days. If there is no usage till the end of this period,, i) or ii) may come into effect, depending on balance.
Source: http://www.vodafone.in/regulatory-notices

Hi,

1) If a user receives an incoming call does that count as "usage" or would it still be considered as a non-used number?
2) If a user receives telemarketing calls on such a number and receives such calls (as mentioned in #1), will that qualify as the number being used?

(The connection referred to above, is a prepaid connection provided by Airtel)

Hi,

1) If a user receives an incoming call does that count as "usage" or would it still be considered as a non-used number?
2) If a user receives telemarketing calls on such a number and receives such calls (as mentioned in #1), will that qualify as the number being used?

(The connection referred to above, is a prepaid connection provided by Airtel)

Incoming calls do not qualify, AFAIK. An outgoing call/sms/data usage needs to be done.

Back