Is mtnl landline broadband user facing this problem?

MAGNeT

Skilled
Well today morning my net wasnt working.

Usually i check my modem page for ip address to verify same.

But from today my sterlite modem is not accepting the default username/ password i.e admin admin on 192.168.1.1 site.

I dont want to reset my modem as it my set default settings which if not correct wont allow me to surf.

I am 100% sure no one changed the password.Also earlier while trying 3 times with wrong password it used to give message of wrong password.But today it just doesnt accept and keep showing the login screen and when press except give error.

protected object the object on rompage server is protected.

Any idea?

Reset the modem, and change your default password, some other mtnl user could have easily "guessed" your external ip and then changed your password.

If you are having a problem in accessing the modem's login page then the problem is not the MTNL connection. The modem is showing its age, my DSL 502-T resets the ADSL username/pw from time to time.
If that is not the problem then the browser might be acting funny if you keep getting the error protected object the object on rompage server is protected. If possible try another browser.
What is your modem's model no.?

nehaladsul said:
I was having very slow surfing speeds intermittently for past few days.

Everything is fine as of now.
this has nothing to do with the actual internet services of MTNL.

Arjun said:
Reset the modem, and change your default password, some other mtnl user could have easily "guessed" your external ip and then changed your password.
wtf? are you trying to write some science fiction? if not then please explain how this is possible.

@proing : That is not science fiction, it is easy. Just try a few IPs near the IP that has been allocated to you and then you can access the Router login page of other users.Nobody changes the default pwd and username so its easy to get in and change pwd.

@ultra vires,
You mean the modems are accessible over the Internet? I thought that admin access over the network was disabled by default and you need to enable it for this to work. will surely try it out, thanks for the info :)

pr0ing said:
If you are having a problem in accessing the modem's login page then the problem is not the MTNL connection. The modem is showing its age, my DSL 502-T resets the ADSL username/pw from time to time.

If that is not the problem then the browser might be acting funny if you keep getting the error protected object the object on rompage server is protected. If possible try another browser.

What is your modem's model no.?
this has nothing to do with the actual internet services of MTNL.
wtf? are you trying to write some science fiction? if not then please explain how this is possible.
Ultravirus has already explained how this is possible, Eg : Your external ip is "59.256.234.123" , type this ip in your browser then change .123 to a no close to this no like .124/125/122 etc , it is very likely that you will get the router login page of another mtnl user and if that user hasnt changed the default password of his router then you can login to his router with the default username/pass.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I just did this with my ip got the login page of another user

VSf2l.png

^^ Any way (without changing my password for admin) to disable access to my modem over network.

Because if what written is possible then anyone can steal my wifi password and use my net at his convenience.

raksrules said:
^^ Any way (without changing my password for admin) to disable access to my modem over network.

Because if what written is possible then anyone can steal my wifi password and use my net at his convenience.
It is called remote administration. search how to disable it for your modem. there will be settings somewhere in the admin page.
The IP addresses that MTNL allocates are random and it will be difficult for anyone to guess your IP at any given time. Even someone in your building having an MTNL connection will have vastly different IP than yours. OTOH if you are chatting with someone then it might be possible to get your exact IP, like some of th signatures in forums which display your ISP,IP,Browser etc.

Why would you not change the default password? If you tend to forget it then just write it on your modem itself. Only those with physical access to the modem will be able to access that.

Also, you can disable wireless access to everyone except your accepted MAC address list, in which case even after knowing your wifi password your router will not allow access to the other party.

The Way i protect my home Router / WIFI :

1) Remote administration is over a non-standard port.

2) Remote administration is only possible over my Local IP range or through OpenVPN.

3) Non-Default password

4) WIFI is encrypted using WPA2 - Enterprise.

5) Direct access to Modem is not allowed over any IP Range.

6) Access is only given to MAC ids of devices of my choice.

7) Any access to WIFI over non-standard MAC is reported to me in LOGs.

The reason for this protection is that my personal HDD is directly plugged into router and has sensitives data ( movies :p )

MTNL is crawling slow for me from the past 1 week. Every 10-15 mins, the data transfer stops for 5 mins or so, even though connection is established, really annoying. :mad:

Anyone else having problems?

arun687 said:
MTNL is crawling slow for me from the past 1 week. Every 10-15 mins, the data transfer stops for 5 mins or so, even though connection is established, really annoying. :mad:

Anyone else having problems?

Yeah, I was having slow speeds for the past week or so. For 2 days, there was no connectivity. I called them up and they said they had some server issues in the Malad region.

No probs here,im enjoying this net Downloading,but the only damn prob with MTNL is Garena DOTA sometimes in the day time gets dced out of game and room very annoying ,but for some reason the game never gets disconnected at the night.

Back