Laptops Is MBP 13.3 VFM ?

viridian

Disciple
Hello Mac users of TE. I am tired of the PC/Linux/Windows scene owing to some frightful experiences. I have never used a Mac before (well, except in a VM) and based on a Yammer poll at work, a Mac is perhaps the best thing to get. I'm seriously considering it, but I don't think I can splurge that much on the 15incher MBP. So I'm considering the 13.3 MBP which sounds decent enough. My requirements are very basic, I occasionally play old games like AoE or Warcraft and have no real need for HD video or graphics heavy applications. It would be nice to do some basic video editing which I think is a given anyway.

What would you say? Get the 13.3 or save to get the 15 incher or _gulp_ the 17incher?

If your requirements are basic, then just go for 13" model.... or even 13" MacBook instead of Pro. I don't see any need to spend extra cash if you're not going to utilize it.

WAIT!!!

Apple is currently updating the online pages. WHich means a new h/w is coming up. am sure that they are going to put on core ix series laptops now.

Just wait for these.

viridian said:
Well..er..the unibody looks very sexy :) Hence I'm looking to get the MBP
The new Macbook is a unibody design as well...not cast out of aluminium though, but the new white Macbook does look sexy too..

desiibond said:
WAIT!!!

Apple is currently updating the online pages. WHich means a new h/w is coming up. am sure that they are going to put on core ix series laptops now.

Just wait for these.
Heard the same...came across a Youtube video, was a Macbook review, where the guy talks about Apple planning to upgrade its Macbook and Macbook Pro to Core ix series...

disappointed that they just updated Aperture tool. no h/w updates yet.

now, if you can wait, better wait for macbook pro that has core ix series processors as the current core2duo models are fast becoming obsolete and makes no sense in putting 75k+ on it when you can get the same config for 30k in pc segment.

or get Dell Inspiron for 35k and a mac mini for 34k :)

Get the 13" MBP by all means.. If your tired of Windows/Linux, OS X is the best thing you can move to with regards to simplicity and enhanced productivity.

Also Core iX MBPs won't be out until Q2 2010.

definitely go for it ... :hap2:
Mac's are just great, core ix will most probably come only in MBP and that too maybe not in the 13" only the 15 and 17

seeing your requirements you dun need a 15 or 17 so it would be ok if you got a white unibody macbook now or if you want the 3-4 extra features spend more and get the pro...
i recently was in a same situation and the 3-4 extra features on the pro were not worth splurging on so i bought the new white unibody:D

+1 Get a mac .

I ll be upgrading to the unibody 13" macbook soon as well , hopefully they ll update it with new i5 procy's and hybrid gfx nvidia Optimus .

sunny27 said:
how about a hackintosh?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Hackintosh isn't a very sustainable solution. I could probably build a hackintosh desktop from scratch (using the OSx86 project's HCL) but who knows what an evil update from Apple could do? As for notebooks/laptops, I've heard that a few netbooks and a select few laptops work well with a modified Mac OS image. Then again, a fair amount of hackery is required. As a long time linux user, I'm sick and tired of hackery to get basic things to work (I would still prefer linux as a server and download rig though). I would like the OS and hardware to just work, leaving me more time to look at pictures of cats on the internet :).

Get the 13" MBP by all means.. If your tired of Windows/Linux, OS X is the best thing you can move to with regards to simplicity and enhanced productivity.

Also Core iX MBPs won't be out until Q2 2010.

Q2 isn't very far away, I don't mind waiting if iX series is coming.

funny things you've said my friend!

try getting hardware with exactly the same specs as an apple machine-dell offers you configs which are downright similar to a macbook-dell is the most stable when it comes to making a working hackintosh. i helped a friend with his hackintosh vostro 1320. it has been running leopard for more than a year and with regular updates from apple for a whole lot less.

sunny27 said:
funny things you've said my friend!
try getting hardware with exactly the same specs as an apple machine-dell offers you configs which are downright similar to a macbook-dell is the most stable when it comes to making a working hackintosh. i helped a friend with his hackintosh vostro 1320. it has been running leopard for more than a year and with regular updates from apple for a whole lot less.

I had no idea that it was that easy on locally available hardware! So this is a stock Vostro 1320 with no HW modifications? Did you use any special tricks to get it to work or did you use the available Kalyway/iAtkos etc DVDs?

kalyway for tiger 10.4.8 and iatkos for leopard 10.5.x

i used a ideneb for 5-6 months with regular updates with my amd opteron pc--see sig below-- dualbooting with windows xp.until dec 2009 when i switched to windows7.

for a whole lot less you can get the mac osx which i believe is why you are buying the mackbook.

Major problem with the mbp is the non removable battery.it lasts a 1000 charges.assuming you want to keep it for more than 5 years--apple says it will last for 5 years but we usually take the word of the marketing people with a pinch of salt. which means you will be looking at another battery in 3 years if you use it as your primary laptop. and a new battery from apple is going to be very expensive!

build a hackintosh - you get better hardware -- and you can still run mac osx.

fyi fcp was working on my friend's vostro..

sunny27 said:
Major problem with the mbp is the non removable battery.it lasts a 1000 charges.assuming you want to keep it for more than 5 years--apple says it will last for 5 years but we usually take the word of the marketing people with a pinch of salt. which means you will be looking at another battery in 3 years if you use it as your primary laptop. and a new battery from apple is going to be very expensive!

Er, wrong.

After a 1000 charges you start to see the battery not holding a full charge, but nice play of words my friend.

I was planning to get a new laptop for myself, until recently, and was also very much interested in the Macbook...read lot of articles and reviews n stuff but couldnt really decide on which is better...Wanted to know whats so special about a Mac?

Back