Other Is it sensible to daily a Graphene OS device in India?

vindal

Disciple
Hi TE!
I have been using a OnePlus 8 Pro since June 2020 and I couldn't be more satisfied with a mobile device. However, it is getting old now and sometime soon, it will stop getting updates. GrapheneOS has been on my mind for some time and I want to ask if anyone has been using it as their daily driver's OS? Even if you have used it in the past, would you recommend it?

Things that matter to me-
  • Mobile gaming - Nope
  • Music - yes (YT Music, Apple Music)
  • Texting - yes (signal, WhatsApp)
  • Camera - yes (GCam, OnePlus default, Hypocam)
  • Android Auto - yes (not critical but a good to have)
  • Banking and UPI - yes (HDFC app, cred, GPay, PhonePay, Paytm)
  • Maps - yes (Google maps)
  • Mailing - yes (Gmail, proton mail)
  • Entertainment - yes (hotstar, prime video, sony liv)
  • Others - Zerodha

I want to try using the OS but spending around 20k (Pixel 6A) on a trial doesn't seem a great idea to me.

And why are you looking at GrapheneOS in the first place ? It is meant for very specific use cases and your purpose does not appears to be one of those.
Please read up on GrapheneOS.

GrapheneOS is very privacy oriented. While there are workarounds to get a lot of apps working, especially ones that need Google Play Services, unless you're doing this to be more in control of your data, I don't see much of a reason to install this
If it's performance you need, Lineage OS is quite standard ( I'm using it right now ) and don't have any issues. XDA Developers is the hub for all custom ROMs, see which best suites your device

Even if you need Graphene OS, it has the same support as what Google provides for the Pixel. Note that it will not run apps deeply embedded with Google Play Service like GPay, so you should be willing to sacrifice the convenience of most Google apps in lieu of privacy.

If you are comfortable without using those banking/finance apps, then it's the most secure and private OS available to use. It's not possible to ensure the same compatibility with those finance apps, as GrapheneOS will not pass attestation. Additionally, I believe that in case of any app fraud, there is no guarantee of compensation due to being on a third-party OS.

If you are comfortable without using those banking/finance apps, then it's the most secure and private OS available to use. It's not possible to ensure the same compatibility with those finance apps, as GrapheneOS will not pass attestation. Additionally, I believe that in case of any app fraud, there is no guarantee of compensation due to being on a third-party OS.
I used to run LineageOS with microG on a secondary device and it passess attestation. Banking apps are generally not that difficult to run with microG. However, Google Apps will definitely not work properly as Google ties it up with Google Play Services and of course in-app purchases that rely on Google Play for activation.

Last edited:
I used to run LineageOS with microG on a secondary device and it passess attestation. Banking apps are generally not that difficult to run with microG. However, Google Apps will defenitely not work properly as Google ties it up with Google Play Services and of course in-app purchases that rely on Google Play for activation.
Ok. It seems most of the apps are now working with GrapheneOS's sandboxed google play. So I guess even google apps should work fine.
But again there is no guarantee that the banking apps will keep working or the OP will be compensated in case of a fraud. https://grapheneos.org/usage#banking-apps

"Banking apps are increasingly using Google's SafetyNet attestation service to check the integrity and certification status of the operating system. GrapheneOS passes the basicIntegrity check but isn't certified by Google so it fails the ctsProfileMatch check. Most apps currently only enforce weak software-based attestation which can be bypassed by spoofing what it checks. GrapheneOS doesn't attempt to bypass the checks since it would be very fragile and would repeatedly break as the checks are improved. Devices launched with Android 8 or later have hardware attestation support which cannot be bypassed without leaked keys or serious vulnerabilities so the era of being able to bypass these checks by spoofing results is coming to an end regardless."

Last edited:
And why are you looking at GrapheneOS in the first place ? It is meant for very specific use cases and your purpose does not appears to be one of those.
Please read up on GrapheneOS.
I want to get a new phone and it's either one that runs stock Android or iOS. As much as I love using Pixel, I want to use something more privacy oriented. I want to try something else before caving in and switching over to iOS.
If I will be unable to use apps that provide essential services like UPI then that's a bummer :(

I want to get a new phone and it's either one that runs stock Android or iOS. As much as I love using Pixel, I want to use something more privacy oriented. I want to try something else before caving in and switching over to iOS.
Well with the apps you listed, you will most likely have a tough time with Graphene. Stock Android is available in Moto. Moreover Graphene has nothing to do with stock Android.
Take a look at CalyxOS or DivestedOS instead.

If I will be unable to use apps that provide essential services like UPI then that's a bummer :(
There are tons of roms out there and if you aren't into rooting (rooting is now mostly gone now) then all apps work just perfect on any rom.. I dont see a point investing in Graphene..

i recently tried running pixel experience with magisk installed. true it doesnt pass anything else than the basic intigrity test.
however i was able to run gpay,paytm and sbi yono app regardless, just used the magisk hide option/module.
But without gapps, i dont think they will work

Last edited:
There are tons of roms out there and if you aren't into rooting (rooting is now mostly gone now) then all apps work just perfect on any rom.. I dont see a point investing in Graphene..
I thought graphene is pretty well maintained. But judging from the responses, it seems like graphene is not that good a choice based on the limitations (essential apps in my case) it puts on the users and the necessity of running it on a Pixel.

After flashing cyanogen , lineage os on various phones of mine from Samsung galaxy y onwards via xda in my younger days , I have come to the clear conclusion , stick to the stock os that came with the phone of the phone is your daily driver and work phone.
Else you end up with either camera not working properly, dual mics not working properly, Magisk having to be installed , gpay and banking apps not working properly . ( Due to the various Chinese phones having proprietary blobs for their camera and other hardware with does not allow them to be customised in lineage os etc. ) .
Been there done that been on xda since 2004 . If phone used for work , try to avoid custom rooms ( at least for Chinese oem phones ) .
Which leads me to the conclusion, buy a phone that offers maximum os and security updates . Google does it and so does Samsung now .

I'm using CalyxOS, which is similar to GrapheneOS on my Mi A2. It has micro-g built in.

• Mobile gaming - Nope WORKS.
  • Music - yes (YT Music, Apple Music) WORKS.
  • Texting - yes (signal, WhatsApp) WORKS.
  • Camera - yes (GCam, OnePlus default, Hypocam) Have only tried the default, and it works, but it's pretty basic.
  • Android Auto - yes (not critical but a good to have) Haven't tried.
  • Banking and UPI - yes (HDFC app, cred, GPay, PhonePay, Paytm) They work, but I think that's because Calyx let me re-lock the bootloader.
  • Maps - yes (Google maps) WORKS.
  • Mailing - yes (Gmail, proton mail) Using K9 for my email. Not as pretty as GMail, but it works well with multiple accounts, including GMail and Outlook.
  • Entertainment - yes (hotstar, prime video, sony liv) Prime Video works, haven't tried the others.
  • Others - Zerodha UpStox works.

After flashing cyanogen , lineage os on various phones of mine from Samsung galaxy y onwards via xda in my younger days , I have come to the clear conclusion , stick to the stock os that came with the phone of the phone is your daily driver and work phone.
Else you end up with either camera not working properly, dual mics not working properly, Magisk having to be installed , gpay and banking apps not working properly . ( Due to the various Chinese phones having proprietary blobs for their camera and other hardware with does not allow them to be customised in lineage os etc. ) .
Been there done that been on xda since 2004 . If phone used for work , try to avoid custom rooms ( at least for Chinese oem phones ) .
Which leads me to the conclusion, buy a phone that offers maximum os and security updates . Google does it and so does Samsung now .
Cyanogen, lineage etc. are now old school. There are 200% better roms available these days for every popular phone models out there.
Now roms come with stock cams as well as gcams. Choice it ultimately yours. Best part is no rooting or anything that sort of stuff is required.
So questions of gpay or banking apps not working etc.
PLus every rom offers updates on monthly or bi-monthly basis.

Cyanogen, lineage etc. are now old school. There are 200% better roms available these days for every popular phone models out there.
Now roms come with stock cams as well as gcams. Choice it ultimately yours. Best part is no rooting or anything that sort of stuff is required.
So questions of gpay or banking apps not working etc.
PLus every rom offers updates on monthly or bi-monthly basis.
Just to present my point again , my Nokia 6.1 2018 model with android one has run out of updates on April 2021 .
There is an official lineage os available for it .
On visiting xda one finds out that the camera does not work because of Nokia not releasing the proprietary camera blogs .
Dual mics do not work for the same reason . Only the primary mic works .
The finger print sensor does not work for the same reason , lack of proprietary blobs ( Nokia using different model finger print sensor in the same model of phone hence the inconsistency of it working properly ).
With all that the same problems with safety net.
Hence flashed back to stock android one with 2021 April security update and using the phone and it works great .

Just to present my point again , my Nokia 6.1 2018 model with android one has run out of updates on April 2021 .
Nokia isn't the usual choice for rom devs. but Mi/Moto/Samsung/Vivo/OP/Poco/Sony/ etc. again not every released device but yes 95% covered with regular updates.
On visiting xda one finds out that the camera does not work because of Nokia not releasing the proprietary camera blogs .
Dual mics do not work for the same reason . Only the primary mic works .
The finger print sensor does not work for the same reason , lack of proprietary blobs ( Nokia using different model finger print sensor in the same model of phone hence the inconsistency of it working properly ).
Typical Nokia..can recall the Windows Nokia era... I still have Microsoft Nokia phone but it was so much restrictive that its better kept in some cupboard.. IF at all MS back then woud had lifted some restrictions it would have been fan fav phone..
With all that the same problems with safety net.
In my best exp. Magisk is long gone and google has every trick to render any rooting useless. And whatever rooting is working is luck by chance only and people have to keep fiddling/checking on root almost everyday which only a school or college going kid can afford to do so... And they will keep posting on xda and telegram groups waiting for the replies as if its their bread/butter earning jobs!
Already highlighted that rooting isn't a mandate at all since few years now but if people still wish to go the magisk way then cant help..

Hence flashed back to stock android one with 2021 April security update and using the phone and it works great .
No option..Nokia!

Any examples?

+ many more which arent listed here but I'm using since more than a year now.. Elixir!

Safety net fails validation with an unlocked bootloader and custom recovery, forget about root. Even if you don't enable root, custom roms don't pass validation.

Even if you don't enable root, custom roms don't pass validation.
Totally disagree. If you flash the rom right then no issues passing validations.
But the moment you install magisk, its all gone and even if doing a clean magisk uninstallation the rom can get bricked aka partial rooting persists to which the only solution is to flash stock rom and start from zero!

Back