PC Peripherals Is it safe to turn off PC in S3 Standby mode ?

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Usually For the whole daytime my pc is either under use or is in complete stand-by/ sleep mode.

Off-late when it is in stand-by mode [S3 Hibernation] (all mobo connected fans incl. proccy fan off & hard drives turned off), I have directly switched off the mains supply owing to certain non avoidable circumstances.

And when I again turn on my pc, everything is usual...no chkdisk or warning or bsods or any dumps.

I think this sounds safe as S3 is stand-by mode is enabled in bios for this operation. Have confirmed from some sources as well.
Anything lower than S3 wont completely hibernate the pc and the processor fan 'll still be running.

So guys whats your opinion on this?
Does anybody practices the same?

Hibernation implies your PC is shutoff with all the open workspace saved to disk. your PC is already switched off in hibernation mode.

S3 is suspend to RAM - this will definitely throw up a warning if you turn it off abruptly.
S4 is hibernation aka suspend to disk - is fine, since the system will recover from the disk hiber file.
Unless you're talking about Windows' hybrid sleep which is a mix of both.

yes, AFAIK, Sleep / standby mode in Windows 7 and onwards is called hybrid sleep which does both S3 standby and S4 hibernation, so the data is not lost in case of loss of power, and it can also resume instantaneously if the power supply is not interrupted in between.

Back