Laptops Is it necessary to remove HDD before Selling a Laptop..?

I have looked online...Many guys claim that even after complete format of HDD...Data can be recovered..
So... Is there any other method like Partition and formating HDD..
Or I have to sell laptop without HDD..?

Most data recovery involves reading the bits directly instead of the table. When you do a format, a quick format in particular, only the table is erased, which is equivalent of tearing the index in a book, the content still remains.

There are tools available to overwrite bits on a disk with garbage values several times over. Use one of them to write the entire disk 3+ times and you should be good. Encrypting the disk and formatting it also an option, since even if content of bits are recovered, it is worthless without the encryption key. This is how contents of your phone are protected, when you wipe and sell them.

I always used either US airforce, army or dod format 3 pass techniques. Zero recovery and even if one runs recovery tools they will find only a brand new empty single partition.

Last edited:
One overwriting pass followed by a low level format should do the trick in most cases.
Unless we are protecting nuclear launch codes or something. In which case it would be advisable to just destroy the disk.

Various security erase options available in mac disk utility
Screenshot 2021-12-20 at 4.10.38 PM.pngScreenshot 2021-12-20 at 4.10.48 PM.pngScreenshot 2021-12-20 at 4.10.54 PM.pngScreenshot 2021-12-20 at 4.11.01 PM.png

Hi,
I think you should not remove HDD before selling a laptop.
You can go for a Data erasure tool that will erase your data completely and securely. Data erasure (sometimes referred to as data clearing, data wiping, or data destruction) is a software-based method of overwriting the data that aims to completely destroy all electronic data residing on a hard disk drive or other digital media by using zeros and ones to overwrite data onto all sectors of the device.

Back