iPhones Are Not Designed To Operate In Indian Environment

why you guys making him to sell/exchange his phone and not providing ideas about how to approach for warranty claim in service centre or even filing a case against apple in not providing hardware support its a new 53k device you just cant give it away

^^ That's coz it's near impossible to prove that something that is physically damaged (even due to poor manufacturing) is not physical damage or is manufacturer caused damage! Indian courts do not have the capability to decide on the technical nature of the complaint and there are no labs to test and decide who is right! This ain't the US... The decision of the court will depend on who perseveres and who gives in... 2-3 years minimum. And while I would still recommend it in most cases (even I had planned to take Apple to court), in this case I just dont see the point basis the damaged part being exposed and there being a 50-50 chance that it could have been damaged by the user (in the eyes of the court). And yes, I am a qualified nonpracticing lawyer and the better half is a qualified practicing lawyer.

Well, yes that's also true.

But okay here's the update, it's fixed!! Yay!!

Got it fixed today by local shopwala for 1500/-.

Now, the story behind it..!! When I went to collect the phone the conversation went something like this..
Me : "Bhaiya kuch kam kijiye na. Hum to local hai, aur apse jan pehchan bhi hai."
Shokeeper : "I know your dad and brother from a long time, so don't worry about the price."
Me : "Is original apple parts available here? Or you just replaced it with a good Chinese one?"
Shopkeeper : "Is this under warranty?"
Me : "Yes".
Shopkeeper : "How much did apple guys asked for?"
Me : (surprised) "24000/- for replacement"
Shopkeeper : "There are thousands of people who actually go for the replacement option. So we get the original working parts from their phone only."
Me : (surprised again) "How?"
Shopkeeper : "Do you think I fixed it? No, I don't even know to open iPhone. I have contacts with them. I just take it to apple service center and they fix the parts from the phone which peoples like you give them for new replacement. Because only one single part might have gone wrong. So they use the other working parts".
Me : (completely surprised) "Well, but what's the profit? Why don't they fix it for me directly?"
Shopkeeper : "They take 24000/- from you and give you a replacement. They sell the working parts to mobile shops like mine and get the damaged parts. Now finally they fit all the damaged parts in that iPhone (that you guys submit) and send it to apple for re-refurbishment".

I was stunned. Well, I don't know whether this scam is true or what. It might be he just used a chinese part and just bluffing all these. But ultimately at the EOD I got it fixed for 15000/-.

^^ Doesn't seem like this happens. Its one thing to call Apple users 'idiots' and quite another to call Apple an 'idiot'!

Once the device is sent back to Apple, they will verify that that part and only that part which was claimed as damaged is damaged and not anything else. Its not like a replacement is issued for a device with a damaged earpiece and then the device that is sent to apple has a damaged earpiece, damaged screen and damaged mic! Lol! :D

^^ Doesn't seem like this happens. Its one thing to call Apple users 'idiots' and quite another to call Apple an 'idiot'!

Once the device is sent back to Apple, they will verify that that part and only that part which was claimed as damaged is damaged and not anything else. Its not like a replacement is issued for a device with a damaged earpiece and then the device that is sent to apple has a damaged earpiece, damaged screen and damaged mic! Lol! :D

Yes. That's what I was thinking of. It's impossible that a company like Apple doesn't maintains Part Numbers for the parts used inside a device tagged with it's serial number.

Yeah fine! Even if they are looking only on damaged earpiece and so that will be replaced but it will not pass the quality test for refurbishment! So then they will find out the other two damaged parts and then refurbish them too!

Okay, confusion confusion!!

Okay let me explain a bit, when I went to apple center they showed me the PIN's to be like this (as below)

Code:
|||| |||

Now, when I got it fixed by local repairwala, I'm not sure what actually went wrong, as the PIN structure is still like the above instead of as like below (as apple guys told me it should have been like this)

Code:
||||||||

And it's charging. Thus I highly doubt what exactly was happened has not been informed to me.
So we forget about pins, the charging port failed and the service centre says its your fault.

Do you agree with that that ?

Yes kind of, and I sweat a lot, if that matters. Also recently I have been to Goa last month, so that can be the reason too.
Then best thing is to cover the charging port with something when using it.

have you ever had a charging port failure with your earlier phones ?

So we forget about pins, the charging port failed and the service centre says its your fault.

Do you agree with that that ?

I do not agree. But I tried reaching to Apple, via Email and Twitter, nothing helped. Even Apple Service Center said, if something is broken (doesn't matter how it got broken), it'll be considered as a damage in which case repair or free replacement is not possible.

Then best thing is to cover the charging port with something when using it.

have you ever had a charging port failure with your earlier phones ?

Not yet. Nothing such till date except this iPhone.

Actually there are two different issues...
1. A PIN is missing from Charging port of iPhone
2. There's sulphur in lightning cable i.e. charging cable.

Anyway it doesn't matter, I got it fixed from 3rd party shop for Rs. 1500/- and he gave me a new 3rd party cable for free as he said original iPhone cable would cost Rs. 400/- which is not necessary.

Anyway it doesn't matter, I got it fixed from 3rd party shop for Rs. 1500/- and he gave me a new 3rd party cable for free as he said original iPhone cable would cost Rs. 400/- which is not necessary.
Hope it works now as intended without giving you any trouble, just for curiosity now if you take the handset to Apple service center for some other problem, will they know that you have repaired the handset outside the service center (from 3rd party)? because as you said that the shopkeeper has given the handset to apple for replacing the pin (He said he doesn't even know how to open the handset) #76 so will Apple know that it was repaired unofficially?

Hope it works now as intended without giving you any trouble, just for curiosity now if you take the handset to Apple service center for some other problem, will they know that you have repaired the handset outside the service center (from 3rd party)? because as you said that the shopkeeper has given the handset to apple for replacing the pin (He said he doesn't even know how to open the handset) #76 so will Apple know that it was repaired unofficially?

Haha!! That even I'm wondering. But hope I do not need to take it to service center again :)

i was referring to foxconn making parts etc for many companies as they follow diff. process annd standards for all. MI and apple wont be the same just cos they have same supplier.
Same company making products.their suppliers are the same.until they (Xiaomi)used IPS displays,supplier was sharp.same as iPhone.processor is Qualcomm used in every top tier manufacturer.iphone uses Samsung nand chips.same used among many of those manufacturers like one plus or Xiaomi.

The processes for the devices in terms of the hardware is literally the same. What differs is overall configuration,choice of exterior materials and the software experience.

iPhone doesn't suffer from fragmentation like the android counterparts hence the softwares for apple devices is better optimised for The specs provided.

I think you cannot understand different companies provide services using a different business model.

Apple wants to believe it should be used by an exclusive few (in terms of India). In the USA ,a truck driver or even a sweeper uses an iPhone. Phones are sold on telecom contracts,so the total ownership cost isn't much different for the end user.

While companies like Xiaomi or one plus want to earn by selling higher volumes and keeping lowest inventory overhang as possible. Apple does this by keeping margins high.

Next time before making an assertion please back it up with something substantial.

I hope certain users in this thread will now stop using iphones since obviously they suck coz few thousand pieces of iphones out of 106 million iphones shipped in last 9 months are suffering from these tocuhscreen problems.

Back