iPhones Are Not Designed To Operate In Indian Environment

why you guys making him to sell/exchange his phone and not providing ideas about how to approach for warranty claim in service centre or even filing a case against apple in not providing hardware support its a new 53k device you just cant give it away

I could never justify a 50k phone. The diminishing returns are so high.
A 15k phone does all the same things. Plus I could have 3 of them die on me and still have money left over.

But Steve Jobs was an excellent shepherd :p.

why you guys making him to sell/exchange his phone and not providing ideas about how to approach for warranty claim in service centre or even filing a case against apple in not providing hardware support its a new 53k device you just cant give it away
He already approached apple and service center. No positive result. Only other way is to file a case in consumer court. But that would mean 2~3 years of headache and even then judgement is unpredictable.

Best bet would be to get the phone repaired locally. This would mean voiding the warranty but that would be ok incase of OP since he doesn't have any good option. I sympathize with OP. It hurts breaking a costly device

Now today, they called me up and said the same thing, that a pin is missing, and that's considered as a damage which is not covered under warranty. Also there is no scope of fixing the lightning port and I have to go for replacement option only and for that I have to pay 24k.

Out of all the service centers, I found Macintel Solutions close to my home which was also a Premium Service Provider as per the tag in Apple Website. I took the phone there on Thursday (i.e. yesterday) and they told me that there should be 8 pins in the lightning port in iPhone and one pin is missing.
Then they should be able to demonstrate that you only have 7 pins.

I think this story about pin missing is BS, this is simply a case of the charging port having failed. How it failed ? manufacturing defect. No phone i've heard of has a failing charging port within 3 months.

But the executive over the phone said that Apple have Limited Warranty and only provide service free of cost for manufacturing defects which is only valid upto 2 months from the date of purchase and hardware repairs within warranty if it is not damaged. Like if the PIN was there and it was not charging then it'd have been covered within warranty but as the PIN is not there it's considered as a damage.
Again not true

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ios-warranty-emea-english.html

WHAT IS COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY?

Apple warrants the Apple-branded iPhone, iPad, iPod or Apple TV hardware product and Apple-branded accessories contained in the original packaging ("Apple Product") against defects in materials and workmanship when used normally in accordance with Apple's published guidelines for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase by the end-user purchaser ("Warranty Period").
[DOUBLEPOST=1471518449][/DOUBLEPOST]
@drkrack FK didn't provided me a faulty cable. Everything was fine till now, but suddenly it caught sulphur (the green marks) which I'm not sure how it caught that.
Any photos ?

Does it look like this or this

Last edited:
^ Good catch. This is definitely manufacturing defect. I suggest OP to link these threads mentioned in above post and write a strongly worded letter to Apple India and claim the warranty. Tweeting them definitely helps

Those parts used in an iphone won't cost more than 10k for sure!

It is well known fact that I am an iPhone user and I absolutely love iPhones. So my reply may sound biased to you. But don't you think any business survives on this basic principle of buy low, sell high? Do you think the corn used in your PVR popcorn costs 175 Rupees ? You cannot just say since the BOM of iPhone is just $200 but they sell it for $800 it is a rip off. This is business and this is how businesses function.

They don't take into account the R&D costs, logistics, marketing and other costs while saying iphone just costs 200$. People will have heart attack I guess if they know about BOM of other things like vehicles, pc parts, household items like detergents , soaps etc

It is well known fact that I am an iPhone user and I absolutely love iPhones. So my reply may sound biased to you. But don't you think any business survives on this basic principle of buy low, sell high? Do you think the corn used in your PVR popcorn costs 175 Rupees ? You cannot just say since the BOM of iPhone is just $200 but they sell it for $800 it is a rip off. This is business and this is how businesses function.

This is an age old question. And the answer is that you are paying for the ambiance/service/whatever when you buy that Rs.150 popcorn or water.

In the case of an iPhone this translates to build quality, after sales service and brand value.
Let us ask the OP how happy he is with the build quality and after sales service :p.

You cannot just say since the BOM of iPhone is just $200 but they sell it for $800 it is a rip off. This is business and this is how businesses function.
Not in India, they will be selling refurbs. And if they don't come out with a spectacular 7 they are going to feel the heat from the chinese.

This does mean that iDevices are not compatible to run in Indian environment. Does this mean I need to have AC in my home, own a AC Car to own an iDevice? So that it doesn't capture moisture when I go in or out of my AC work place?
Form the horse's mouth

Avoid extreme ambient temperatures.
Your device is designed to perform well in a wide range of ambient temperatures, with 16° to 22° C (62° to 72° F) as the ideal comfort zone. It’s especially important to avoid exposing your device to ambient temperatures higher than 35° C (95° F), which can permanently damage battery capacity. That is, your battery won’t power your device as long on a given charge. Charging the device in high ambient temperatures can damage it further. Even storing a battery in a hot environment can damage it irreversibly.

Generally good advice for any phone. I notice a spike in 'my battery does not give good back up' posts around the months of march to june, then it goes quiet.

As far as moisture geos try not to get it wet like any other phone.

Then they should be able to demonstrate that you only have 7 pins.

I think this story about pin missing is BS, this is simply a case of the charging port having failed. How it failed ? manufacturing defect. No phone i've heard of has a failing charging port within 3 months.

Yes they showed me that one pin in the middle in missing. You can see it on charging port.

[DOUBLEPOST=1471518449][/DOUBLEPOST]
Any photos ?

Does it look like this or this
Yes, charging cable was exactly like this. But they cleaned up that. But as the PIN is missing from Charging port (lightning jack in iPhone) they considered it to be damaged. Because things were working fine till last 3 months.[DOUBLEPOST=1471630092][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW it's been 2 weeks and nothing that I could do till now. Mails to Apple and Tweets failed to get any reply from them. So considering it to get it repaired from local shop for 1500/-

I could never justify a 50k phone. The diminishing returns are so high.
A 15k phone does all the same things. Plus I could have 3 of them die on me and still have money left over.

But Steve Jobs was an excellent shepherd :p.
Some still consider owning the latest iphone as symbol of power. they openly flaunt it to make others feel poor.

Some still consider owning the latest iphone as symbol of power. they openly flaunt it to make others feel poor.

Yes I agree with you. But with just 3 months of usage, I can say, there are some things that simply works in iPhone. I don't know whether it's kind of some "getting used to thing" or not, but right now, since my iPhone has gone kaput, I have been using my old Moto G3 for 2 weeks. So with just 3 months of iPhone usage, I can easily notice the lag in scrolling the menu, lockscreen hangs sometimes when I'm middle of somewhere, god knows what happens to touch sometimes, as some of the potion simply doesn't works, while scrolling in menu / facebook / instagram, when I tap to scroll up, the same gets opened, and yes, finally some lag, I can notice the transition.

This is the case, when I haven't installed all the apps (Hoping to sort out with apple), but these things I have never seen in iPhone. Apps just simply don't crash (it's one of the rarest of rare case), no lag and smooth, and it'll do what you want it to do.

Yes I agree with you. But with just 3 months of usage, I can say, there are some things that simply works in iPhone. I don't know whether it's kind of some "getting used to thing" or not, but right now, since my iPhone has gone kaput, I have been using my old Moto G3 for 2 weeks. So with just 3 months of iPhone usage, I can easily notice the lag in scrolling the menu, lockscreen hangs sometimes when I'm middle of somewhere, god knows what happens to touch sometimes, as some of the potion simply doesn't works, while scrolling in menu / facebook / instagram, when I tap to scroll up, the same gets opened, and yes, finally some lag, I can notice the transition.

This is the case, when I haven't installed all the apps (Hoping to sort out with apple), but these things I have never seen in iPhone. Apps just simply don't crash (it's one of the rarest of rare case), no lag and smooth, and it'll do what you want it to do.
Are you not comparing sub 20k phone to 50k phone? Comparing S7 or 6p makes sense I suppose.

But I agree its true, transitions do appear smooth on iOS, atleast on latest ones.

Are you not comparing sub 20k phone to 50k phone? Comparing S7 or 6p makes sense I suppose.

But I agree its true, transitions do appear smooth on iOS, atleast on latest ones.
Well, yes that's also true.

But okay here's the update, it's fixed!! Yay!!

Got it fixed today by local shopwala for 1500/-.

Now, the story behind it..!! When I went to collect the phone the conversation went something like this..
Me : "Bhaiya kuch kam kijiye na. Hum to local hai, aur apse jan pehchan bhi hai."
Shokeeper : "I know your dad and brother from a long time, so don't worry about the price."
Me : "Is original apple parts available here? Or you just replaced it with a good Chinese one?"
Shopkeeper : "Is this under warranty?"
Me : "Yes".
Shopkeeper : "How much did apple guys asked for?"
Me : (surprised) "24000/- for replacement"
Shopkeeper : "There are thousands of people who actually go for the replacement option. So we get the original working parts from their phone only."
Me : (surprised again) "How?"
Shopkeeper : "Do you think I fixed it? No, I don't even know to open iPhone. I have contacts with them. I just take it to apple service center and they fix the parts from the phone which peoples like you give them for new replacement. Because only one single part might have gone wrong. So they use the other working parts".
Me : (completely surprised) "Well, but what's the profit? Why don't they fix it for me directly?"
Shopkeeper : "They take 24000/- from you and give you a replacement. They sell the working parts to mobile shops like mine and get the damaged parts. Now finally they fit all the damaged parts in that iPhone (that you guys submit) and send it to apple for re-refurbishment".

I was stunned. Well, I don't know whether this scam is true or what. It might be he just used a chinese part and just bluffing all these. But ultimately at the EOD I got it fixed for 15000/-.

Yes they showed me that one pin in the middle in missing. You can see it on charging port.
Ah, then you have a problem.

How did it happen ?

thought everybody says how nice lightning port is with reversible bla bla not like micro usb. What i understood is harder to damage lightning charging port.

Yes, charging cable was exactly like this. But they cleaned up that. But as the PIN is missing from Charging port (lightning jack in iPhone) they considered it to be damaged.
I don't understand why it even happens and so early. Is the air in Cal so salty ?

There are pros and cons to having connectors exposed over in a sleeve like usb. Don't think you had this problem with your micro usb connectors and the environment was the same.

Ah, then you have a problem.

How did it happen ?

thought everybody says how nice lightning port is with reversible bla bla not like micro usb. What i understood is harder to damage lightning charging port.

Okay, confusion confusion!!

Okay let me explain a bit, when I went to apple center they showed me the PIN's to be like this (as below)

Code:
|||| |||

Now, when I got it fixed by local repairwala, I'm not sure what actually went wrong, as the PIN structure is still like the above instead of as like below (as apple guys told me it should have been like this)

Code:
||||||||

And it's charging. Thus I highly doubt what exactly was happened has not been informed to me.

I don't understand why it even happens and so early. Is the air in Cal so salty ?

There are pros and cons to having connectors exposed over in a sleeve like usb. Don't think you had this problem with your micro usb connectors and the environment was the same.

Yes kind of, and I sweat a lot, if that matters. Also recently I have been to Goa last month, so that can be the reason too.

But okay here's the update, it's fixed!! Yay!!

Got it fixed today by local shopwala for 1500/-.
Now, the story behind it..!! When I went to collect the phone the conversation went something like this..
Me : "Bhaiya kuch kam kijiye na. Hum to local hai, aur apse jan pehchan bhi hai."
Shokeeper : "I know your dad and brother from a long time, so don't worry about the price."
Me : "Is original apple parts available here? Or you just replaced it with a good Chinese one?"
Shopkeeper : "Is this under warranty?"
Me : "Yes".
Shopkeeper : "How much did apple guys asked for?"
Me : (surprised) "24000/- for replacement"
Shopkeeper : "There are thousands of people who actually go for the replacement option. So we get the original working parts from their phone only."
Me : (surprised again) "How?"
Shopkeeper : "Do you think I fixed it? No, I don't even know to open iPhone. I have contacts with them. I just take it to apple service center and they fix the parts from the phone which peoples like you give them for new replacement. Because only one single part might have gone wrong. So they use the other working parts".
Me : (completely surprised) "Well, but what's the profit? Why don't they fix it for me directly?"
Shopkeeper : "They take 24000/- from you and give you a replacement. They sell the working parts to mobile shops like mine and get the damaged parts. Now finally they fit all the damaged parts in that iPhone (that you guys submit) and send it to apple for re-refurbishment".

I was stunned. Well, I don't know whether this scam is true or what. It might be he just used a chinese part and just bluffing all these. But ultimately at the EOD
I got it fixed for 15000/-.
Congrats that it got fixed but you have 1 zero more :)

Back