Intel is sunsetting its NUC business

Titokhan

Disciple
We have decided to stop direct investment in the Next Unit of Compute (NUC) Business and pivot our strategy to enable our ecosystem partners to continue NUC innovation and growth. This decision will not impact the remainder of Intel’s Client Computing Group (CCG) or Network and Edge Computing (NEX) businesses. Furthermore, we are working with our partners and customers to ensure a smooth transition and fulfillment of all our current commitments – including ongoing support for NUC products currently in market.

Via ServeTheHome

This could be especially bad for India as none of the other manufacturers seem to be particularly interested in India as a market. NUC was at least available. Currently an NUC is my primary home PC on which I do all my work. It's really tiny, takes practically no space on my desk, and provides a smooth experience at a very low power draw. I'll miss the Intel NUCs.

I think they were targeting the Zero and Thin Client segment. Its hard to beat Teradici in that segment.

Intel and ASUS agree to term sheet to manufacture, sell and support 10th to 13th Gen NUC systems product line and to develop future innovative NUC systems product designs.

Hmm.. I wonder what it really boils down to, given Asus has its own product line.

Wow, bought RNUC12WSKI50Z00 (my primary work horse) couple of months back, bought a NUC11Pro last year, have 2 other NUC 5th Gen. And was planning to buy a NUC10 i3 to deploy a linux server for a client. Any alternate Asus suggestions ?

There's no reason to not buy NUCs, Intel/Asus will continue to provide support and warranty. A company stopping a certain business doesn't absolve them of their existing contracts. The discontinuation date for 12th gen NUCs is 2025, meaning they will continue to provide support and warranty at least till 2028, and mostly for longer as the warranty is from the date of purchase and not restricted by date of discontinuation.

Intel and ASUS agree to term sheet to manufacture, sell and support 10th to 13th Gen NUC systems product line and to develop future innovative NUC systems product designs.

ASUS has published a dedicated NUC overview page: https://www.asus.com/content/nuc-overview/

Now that we're not even allowed to see X's without login, would be nice to at least have some context

Exciting News!

Starting Sep.1, #NUC becomes a proud member of the #ASUS lineup, setting off on an exhilarating journey ahead. Delve into NUC product specifics on the official ASUS website and immerse yourself in a realm of innovations & solutions.

https://asus.click/NUC

As you can expect, the URL points to the same page I mentioned earlier.

NUCs at Intel Innovation: Quick Update

Hey r/intelnuc! Intel Innovation 2023 is this week in San Jose.

ASUS has a booth here—had a brief chat with them, establishing two key points:
  • ASUS will start direct sales of NUCs on their website in October.
  • NUC designs with 14th Gen Intel Core ("Meteor Lake") are forthcoming from ASUS.
This is probably already well-known, but the NUC line of business stands apart from ASUS's existing SFF PCs, which will continue to have Intel and AMD SKUs.

Via r/intelnuc.

Back