Installing Vista x64 from XP SP2 x86???

Trajan

Adept
I have a sys where i need to install Vista RC1 x64. But there are no DVD drives in the machine. I have the Vista setup in HDD. The OS is XP SP2 32 bit. How can i install Vista x64? When i click on Setup.exe i get the message that it is not a valid 32 bit application.

i tried to do the same thing as u did. finally i attached a dvd drive to my machine and installed vista 64bit from the dvd drive. maybe try loading the image on a virtual drive and see if it installs. just backup ur hdd to another hdd just so that if anything goes wrong u get ur data back. btw vista 64bit requires 10gb of space + 15gb free space for installation files

i booted it directly through dvd drive. vista does not boot from windows xp 32 bit version. i dont know the reason. it maybe bcause it is 64bit and xp is 32bit and both installers r compiled differently - i mean for 64bit exe to run u need an installer which is 64bit, i think. not sure about this though. :)

6pack said:
maybe try loading the image on a virtual drive and see if it installs.

arre use ur kidney a lil man - what difference does it make if the image is mounted on Virtual Drive ?? its the 64bit installer setup that can not start from a 32bit environment.. its not abt it checking being run from a Dump or a DVD..
& above all how will the virtual drive be available when the installer reboots the 32bit OS ????:tongue:

Back