Iniviting All Downloaders (No PC & laptop users)

@deltasquare4 - If I understand correctly, you installed Jeff's uBoot alone but did not install Debian to the USB disk. As you have already noticed, the default pogoplug OS will not boot with Jeff's uBoot.

You have two options now

1. Use the rootfs posted by @dheerajotwani and see if it boots. If the uBoot installation was done successfully, it should boot fine. Once booted install the Rescue System (steps specific to GoFlex Net available here -- Seagate GoFlex Net : Installing Rescue System - VARKEY )

2. Get the serial console working, and then load the rescue system from USB and then install it to the NAND. The steps are there in the above link.

Are you sure the serial adapter is working fine? Try a loop test, where you connect the TX pin to the RX bin directly and you should see whatever you are typing in the output. Also make sure the connections are proper and to the right pins.

Thanks @dhirajjotwani and @varkey for your suggestions. I have burnt the debian image provided by @dheerajjorwani, but the device still doesn't boot (I concluded this because either green LED keeps blinking or it turns off, in any case still not acquiring ip address from my router). I am yet to convert it to ext2 (downloading ubuntu, don't have it handy :(), I'll let you know how it goes.

As for the serial port, the loop test works as expected, printing characters as I type. But, when connected to the device (using 115200bps/8n1/no flow control), it shows unformatted, gibberish output (same, in both Windows and OS X Lion). I have tried various combinations of settings, and none of them give a readable output. I'm not sure what am I doing wrong.

@deltasquare4 convert the usb image to ext2 and try once. also ensure nothing else is plugged in besides this thumb drive with rootfs on it as the first partition

Tried booting with the rootfs thumb drive after converting it to ext2. Still no success. But, on the positive note, I figured out the problem with serial cable. The cable I have operates on 12v, which should be 3.3v. I have ordered a MAX232 adapter, which should arrive in a couple of days.

I've RT16 with Tomato and using Transmission. Its working pretty well for the past few months.

My hdd is formatted as NTFS (I couldn't copy completed files to W7 using ext3).
The only gripe is the transfer speed from router to pc. Copy speed is around 5mbps for Lan and 3mbps through Wifi. I'm not sure if thats the fastest it can go. I've tried DD WRT, too with same results. And its slower with Winscp.

Moving on, my gf has UL plan, and is currently been used for Facebook and FashionAndYou sites, getting me increasingly edgy.

Now my plan was to get the ru13 but feel it could goto waste in the long run, since i already have the RT16.
I have PlayOn!HD, but when i had tried transmission and rtorrent on it, anything above 1 torrent would make it very unstable.

The Goflex Net seems like a good option here. Have already asked for a quote from ICC. (The Letsbuy GoFlex Home is for 10.5k now)

Q2) Can I use the GoFlex Net with MediaSonic USB 3.0 4 bay enclosure and use it to stream movies/music, across to my HTPC and AC Ryan, later on?
Or should I not take the risk and get the USB 2.0 one?

Varkey seems to have successfully attached a Rosewill. Saw it on some googled site, but the links on the cables were not going anywhere. And I think the pogoplug does not support port multiplier. I AM going to buy one of the enclosures, coz my current HTPC 2*2 TB is on its last few gbs.

Q3) Is there a better alternative to what i'm trying to do here? i.e use it only for downloading now and then later as a media hub, with the hdd enclosure.

amul_capri said:
The Goflex Net seems like a good option here. Have already asked for a quote from ICC. (The Letsbuy GoFlex Home is for 10.5k now)

Q2) Can I use the GoFlex Net with MediaSonic USB 3.0 4 bay enclosure and use it to stream movies/music, across to my HTPC and AC Ryan, later on?

Or should I not take the risk and get the USB 2.0 one?

Varkey seems to have successfully attached a Rosewill. Saw it on some googled site, but the links on the cables were not going anywhere. And I think the pogoplug does not support port multiplier. I AM going to buy one of the enclosures, coz my current HTPC 2*2 TB is on its last few gbs.

Q3) Is there a better alternative to what i'm trying to do here? i.e use it only for downloading now and then later as a media hub, with the hdd enclosure.

USB 3.0 is backward compatible, so you should be able to use the enclosure.

Here are the cables you need to get -- 15+7 Male to Mala SATA Cable and a ESATA to SATA Cable

Or you can get this enclosure -- Newegg.com - Sans Digital 4 Bay eSATA Port Multiplier JBOD Tower Storage Enclosure (no eSATA Card bundle) TR4M+BNC

I have Rt N13U B1.. its very good and downloads torrents easily..
But I have a Question..
How to download Using HTTP? or from sites like Rapidshare, Megaupload etc.?
Is there any way?
Please help me out.
Thanks in advance.

N5233 said:
I have Rt N13U B1.. its very good and downloads torrents easily..

But I have a Question..

How to download Using HTTP? or from sites like Rapidshare, Megaupload etc.?

Is there any way?

Please help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, using pyload you can do so. But they will be far too heavy on the router.

vivek.krishnan said:
Yes, using pyload you can do so. But they will be far too heavy on the router.

Tried it .. but when I exit putty after starting it, pyLoad automatically closes. Any solution or tutorial on the same?

isn't there any alternative for pyLoad?

varkey said:

Maan, these cables not available on GEB?
Where did you source it from? Do the sites provided above, ship to India?

Also, can I attach drives (or enclosures) on both sides of the flex for media and also use the USB port with a boot+torrents drive only.
If we can use both then I need to order a pair of the above cables, right?

Back on this thread after long time. Friend took new N13U, B1

Runs Win 7 (64 bit) & plans to use 8/16 GB USB drive for downloading - (mostly torrents & http few times)

Requirement is simple - Download torrents & transfer on Win7 machine, Nothing much. No fancy mail servers/DDNS/Samba too (if not required)

Which will work best - DD WRT or Tamato on N13U B1 ?

i am just about to about to buy the ASUS n13U b1 , i am using MTNL triband , will i have to use the router provided by the MTNL or this acts as a 2 in one router

Back