Indian Stock Market and Mutual Funds

Bailing depositors out (assuming you mean depositor insurance scheme which covers up to 5 lakh under a pan in any scheduled commercial bank & is guaranteed) is very far fetched & practically never done before in India for any scheduled commercial bank (SFBs also come under this). In India RBI does allow any scheduled commercial bank to fail overnight/within few days & indicators are visible weeks/months in advance for any such bank. Even if a scheduled commercial bank fails RBI's first action is always to merge it/sell it/resuscitate it (depending on its size) so depositors money remain safe with just a few weeks of moratorium on withdrawal. Yes Bank has been the biggest scheduled commercial bank to fail in India & was resuscitated by a consortium of banks & eventually had a moratorium of around 3-4 weeks on withdrawal. Compared to it any SFB is tiny & probably won't even take more than a week of moratorium in case of failure.
Whatever he said and also **** Yes Bank, it's managment is top tier shite

Bailing depositors out (assuming you mean depositor insurance scheme which covers up to 5 lakh under a pan in any scheduled commercial bank & is guaranteed) is very far fetched & practically never done before in India for any scheduled commercial bank (SFBs also come under this). In India RBI does allow any scheduled commercial bank to fail overnight/within few days & indicators are visible weeks/months in advance for any such bank. Even if a scheduled commercial bank fails RBI's first action is always to merge it/sell it/resuscitate it (depending on its size) so depositors money remain safe with just a few weeks of moratorium on withdrawal. Yes Bank has been the biggest scheduled commercial bank to fail in India & was resuscitated by a consortium of banks & eventually had a moratorium of around 3-4 weeks on withdrawal. Compared to it any SFB is tiny & probably won't even take more than a week of moratorium in case of failure.
8 &9

It's the biggest private bank and is not going to fail just like that and neither is Kotak.
It's not going to grow it will stagnate and give you returns below the index because it is bloated af
1716020453038.png

Muh HDFC, Muh largest private bank, muh 4th biggest listed compani by market cap

ICICI be catching up

It is becoming harder to make a case for banks. FDs are out of fashion (everyone has a DMAT account these days) and NBFCs have been slowly eating up their loans business.

Another problem (may not be for everyone) is the limit on promoter ownership (capped at 25%). I prefer family owned businesses.

I know who is calling the shots in Reliance. You cannot be sure about a bank.

Last edited:
It is becoming harder to make a case for banks. FDs are out of fashion (everyone has a DMAT account these days) and NBFCs have been slowly eating up their loans business.
It is just an upcycle, NBFCs will enter a downturn sooner or later. Also, banks are the growth engines of any economy providing credit to sectors which matters.

Another problem (may not be for everyone) is the limit on promoter ownership (capped at 25%). I prefer family owned businesses. I know who is calling the shots in Reliance. You cannot be sure about a bank.
Not every family is like Tata, Anil Ambani's example is there for all to see. For banks at least in India, promoter cap is a must have reform.

It is just an upcycle, NBFCs will enter a downturn sooner or later. Also, banks are the growth engines of any economy providing credit to sectors which matters.

Not every family is like Tata, Anil Ambani's example is there for all to see. For banks at least in India, promoter cap is a must have reform.
If banks were doing well, then the logic would be that they are professionally managed vs family run business that may not have shareholder's interest aligned with theirs. HDFC was everyone's darling few years back and most PSU were a big no. For a long time it was quality only etc and then value came back eventually.

Ultimately, most people gravitate towards whatever is working recently and all reasoning and logic gets aligned with that. But market eventually changes and people who have not done the work and are just riding the bull market get taught their overdue lessons.

I agree. By bailing depositors out, I meant rbi or government won't let depositors take losses in nominal terms, unless there is a systemwide crisis, which is unlikely.

I agree. By bailing depositors out, I meant rbi or government won't let depositors take losses in nominal terms, unless there is a systemwide crisis, which is unlikely.

It is a different case for small banks which can be allowed to fail. The funds will be frozen immediately. The good thing is that RBI has set a 90-day limit for the insurance payout whereas earlier there was no timeline at all.

In some cases, these banks are merged with larger banks but there is no guarantee that you will ever receive more than 5 lakhs back once bankruptcy is declared, since the liability ends once you receive the payout.

Government will only back PSU banks and the too big to fail ones like HDFC and ICICI.

It is a different case for small banks which can be allowed to fail.
Scheduled commercial banks are much different from cooperative banks which I personally don't even consider as proper banks. I don't even know why someone educated enough will keep any fund there other than a few thousand that too only for emotional reasons like parents grandparents all were its customers.
In some cases, these banks are merged with larger banks but there is no guarantee that you will ever receive more than 5 lakhs back once bankruptcy is declared, since the liability ends once you receive the payout.
RBI has never declared a scheduled commercial bank as bankrupt & most likely never will not to mention only 3 scheduled commercial banks have ever failed since independence.

Government will only back PSU banks and the too big to fail ones like HDFC and ICICI.
For govt there is not much difference between any scheduled commercial bank & as for too big to fail banks (sbi, hdfc, icici) that can only happen if India/Indian economy itself is about to fail.

On bank depositor bailouts, from my perspective, no meaningfully sized scheduled commercial bank in India has ever inflicted losses on depositors. This when banks like IDBI had written off nearly 30-35% of their loans, which was multiple times of their equity. Their survival, even if through mergers / equity infusion by government was effectively bailing out their depositors for me. I get the point being made earlier that there can be room for nuance, but I do not expect significant haircuts in nominal terms for depositors even at smaller banks, even if the depositors get their money with a lag.

@anmolbhard004
A political leader in that disposition speaking like that gives an eerily uncomfortable feeling. Market may definitely go top high, but is it right to comment like this now, should they be influencing people to vote in their favor for higher market returns ? What pitfalls can be there in such commentaries...

Back