Indian Satellite Launch Unsuccessful

ANP !!!

Skilled
DailyTech - Indian Satellite Launch Unsuccessful

India is the latest nation that wishes to join the space club

The ambitious Indian space program was dealt a heavy blow after the rocket carrying India's heaviest satellite, INSAT 4C, veered off course after launch. The rocket, Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV FO2), is one of the first Indian designed and manufactured rockets to be used in a commercial launch. Project managers forced the rocket to self-destruct so that the debris would fall harmlessly into the ocean. "Every failure is a setback. Space technology development is always fraught with failures. It is the magnitude of such failure that needs to be looked into," said Vasant Gowariker, a professor at the Indian Space Research Organization. The rocket went into a severe tailspin about a minute after what was at first thought to be a successful takeoff.

The satellite was expected to broadcast television signals and transmit data with a mission life of up to 10 years. The nation must continue to rely on European and Russian rockets until it is able to send its own satellites into space. India has previously launched several satellites into orbit, but the INSAT 4C, weighing in at 2,168 kilograms, was the countries heaviest attempt.

Even with the latest setback, the Indian space agency has big plans for the future. Along with almost $550M USD dedicated solely to upgrading the space agency's equipment so that it is able to launch heavier satellites, the agency is also getting ready for an unmanned mission to the moon within two years:D .

big deal!!

apart from the usual European/ US people who else have come this close ?? (ok....China....but no one else)

This is very good...... Not the failure :p ...but the whole space programme....every thing goes through it's good and bad phases.... Every major Space superpower has undergone a failure of some kind.... This is normal.

You cant always have all perfect launches.

Nikhil said:
big deal!!

apart from the usual European/ US people who else have come this close ?? (ok....China....but no one else)

This is very good...... Not the failure :p ...but the whole space programme....every thing goes through it's good and bad phases.... Every major Space superpower has undergone a failure of some kind.... This is normal.

You cant always have all perfect launches.
thats not the point, the question is whether we can afford this :)
256crores down the drain

apollyon said:
thats not the point, the question is whether we can afford this :)
256crores down the drain
If you see it from that point of view, I am totally against most of the space programs....

They want to send a man to the moon....for what joy ?? At least most of the space programs are important coz of the satellites.... which are useful for data trasnfer and TV / transmissions, etc....etc.....

But I say, instead of spending 1000s of crores on this, you can make better use of it like feeding the hundreds of crores of people.

Also, why spend so much to develop your own space program ?? Just pay some European country to do it for you....it will be insured and will be cheaper.... instead of spending crores on your own space program.

I basically dont like the space prgramme at all..... I say, first you feed all the people in your country....then go and try to conquer "the final frontier"

Nikhil said:
If you see it from that point of view, I am totally against most of the space programs....

They want to send a man to the moon....for what joy ?? At least most of the space programs are important coz of the satellites.... which are useful for data trasnfer and TV / transmissions, etc....etc.....

But I say, instead of spending 1000s of crores on this, you can make better use of it like feeding the hundreds of crores of people.

Also, why spend so much to develop your own space program ?? Just pay some European country to do it for you....it will be insured and will be cheaper.... instead of spending crores on your own space program.

I basically dont like the space prgramme at all..... I say, first you feed all the people in your country....then go and try to conquer "the final frontier"

the philosophy of first doing this and then doing that doesn't work

space research has proven benefits and can help to solve everyday problems. eg a perfect crystal structure with no aberrations is one of the things that can be done by humans in space and not on earth.(among a lot of other things being done in the ISS) the use of such research is huge in medical and scientific world.

you don't look at search things as first feed the people and then go to space. things are done side by side and this is certainly no "joy" ride. there is extensive research done on every trip which in the end benefits all.

and in our quest for a good gslv launch one or two failed missions is a small price. we will recover these costs once we achieve the proficiency(and a failed launch gives far more data to correct problems). Do you even know how much ariane space charges to put our sattelits in space. we can do the same at fraction of the cost once this is tested and operational

Safin said:
the philosophy of first doing this and then doing that doesn't work

space research has prooven benefits and can help to solve everyday problems. eg a perfect crystal structure with no aberrations is one of the things that can be done by humans in space.(among a lot of other things being done in the ISS) the use of such research is huge in medical and scientific world.

you don't look at search things as first feed the people and then go to space. things are done side by side and this is certainly no "joy" ride. there is extensive research done on every trip which in the end benefits all.
We seem to have agreed subconsciously never to agree !!! :p.... Every topic like this and we disagree :p

Anyway I guess everyone have their own viewpoints.... Mine is very simply... roti kapda aur makaan... for these basic things, we dont need hi-tech experiments in space.

To improve quality of life, definitely....we need all this.... But I am not thinking that far yet.

There are lakhs/crores of people who dont get a square meal a day. Spend money on them.... educate the people... The other in the newspaper, they had given a comparison between France and Italy(with respect to the WC final) and one thing struck me. One had a literacy rate of 99% and the other of 98%.

I wonder if India will ever reach that stage. There are so many basic needs before we aim so high.

Ok, now I remembered one more thing..... that EDUSAT program was broadcast throughout India thanks to the first few satellites India launched. So, yes....the space program has benefits. No doubt.

But I just feel that so much of money is better spent on the poor man.

I do believe that this will only add to our experience of space technology. Anybody will agree that the scientists of ISRO are doing an highly commendable job inspite of being a govt. organisation and have to deal with the Beaurocracy. As far as the basic necessities are concerned, only the lack of political will and grassroot mismangement is to be blamed. The INSAT sattelites have revolutionised the TV and telecom industry in India so much that we are taking it for granted. Hats off to the scientists at ISRO. Certainly we can afford one or two such failures in the long range interests of the people of India.

Its better to teach a man a trade then to feed him 10 times a week.

With more research we will perfect the Science of Space Age.

Launch can be safer/cheaper

Plus the added benefits of National Security, Financial Gain, Reputation is at sake.

Well guys lemme tell on this an wht i'll say is perfect.
the 150 + 100 crore project is sometims insured specially satellite programs.
when one is buil parallelly another one or two is build i'm not talking about the GLSv rocket as india can build numerous in anytime as its inias indigenous, but the sattellite when buil normally parallely two are build so if one fails the other is rectified an fired.
When comes to indias space research I'll say only one thing in inertial guidance system and satellite telecommunication INDIAS technology is worlds BEST. PERIOD. Its still a mystery to other countries how we send sattellites for such cheap cost.it involves numerous subzero level critical maths "back to the base of physics.
ABout AGNI it was a little succesful in missile we cant get success within first test minimum 3/5 tests needed.Its the accuracy that matters and not the range. We can achieve Range of ICBM's anytime we want to just the accuracy.again accuracy involves complex GPS systems which we r building .. the Glonass with russia for millitary use.

@Nikhil

On this point,I have to agree with Safin.

IMHO any amount spent on science is a good investment.The only way a country can attain superiority is by technology alone.The biggest example of this is WWII.The single most important reason of the US and USSR becoming superpowers is by technology.

The correct (and permanent,not a stop-gap) solution for the poverty problem is NOT diverting more funds.Its reducing the population growth (which might take a few generations).

Diverting more funds only fills the pockets of politicians (atleast in India's case).

Im not trying to troll u or anything but to put it in prospective,look it at this way,when you are a student,studying is not the only thing u do all day.You play a bit,watch movies etc.This helps in the overall developement of your personality.Its the same case with the space program.

just my 2c

One more thing i'd like to tell you this is my point of view, Its that see this AGNI IIIA variant a typical range of 3500 kms isnt guided by GPS soa first time fail was kinda expected.Hell even the Agni III with typical Range of 6500 Kms isnt GPS regulated as either.So just think if inia can achieve a distance of 6500 without GPS what will she do when she'll have the Glonass ready by 2008/10.The surya 2 variant typical range 20000 Kms can intercept any systems an moreover the algorithm wud be so complex tht high class interceptors wud think twice before intercepting.What we nee while GPS is that at any point of time at any coordinate on this earth keeping earth as inertial frame of reference aminimum presence of 2 satellites.Russia already have 8 in space india will fun the other 10 an jointly have the Glonass.
ppls says y brahmos succeed instead of the GPS cuz its supersonic missile and look at the range 300 kms.. as russia comes under NPT an accoring to NPT it can boost any missiles over 300 kms.so just look at the terrible guidance system india made and the speed of mach 2.8 to 3.8.It is currently interceptible only by a very very few US missiles.forget chinese/pak/french.

Im not trying to troll u or anything but to put it in prospective,look it at this way,when you are a student,studying is not the only thing u do all day.You play a bit,watch movies etc.This helps in the overall developement of your personality.Its the same case with the space program.
Unfortunately with my FM exam in abt 9 hrs, I wish I actually did study :p .... Thing is I dont. PERIOD.

Anyway coiming back to the topic.

I know that what I said will never happen. Just because I feel that funds should be diverted doesnt mean it will be. Thousands of crores have already been spent.

And as yopu said even if more funds are earmarked for those purposes, the politicians will become richer. True. But then I only wish something could be done abt it.....

And dont compare India to the US/USSR. The ground realities are very different.

well,what i meant was they (at least the US) started in a pretty poor shape 400 years ago.but they developed their technology to be what they are today.

Im not saying India needs 400 years to do that but what im saying is u must be as least dependant on other as possible to be truely be powerfull.One thing u might have noticed is the US is offshoring all the manufacturing of its products to China.In case a war broke out bitween the two,china only needs to pull the plug to seriously effect US economy.

India has allready faced such a thing with the US denying us super computers after the first pokhran tests.(ofcource our enterprising scientists at CDAC built the Padma supercomputer indeginously).Thats what is needed-to be truely independant.

Another thing is the gulf war.Why do u think the US is so much intrested in the region?Because its the largest supplier of oil for which its fully dependant on the middle east.

Back