Indian American teen develops supercapacitor that charges in 20 seconds

mk76

Adept
Eesha Khare, from Saratoga, California, was awarded the Young Scientist Award by the Intel Foundation after developing the tiny device that fits inside mobile phone batteries, that could allow them to charge within 20-30 seconds.

Reference.

Reading the whole article depicts that it has been mostly tested on Led lights and there is an assumption that we can expect similar performance on mobile phones as well.
Anyways, this is awesome news and fair play to the girl from whichever nationality she is, she did good.

Deliberate lack i feel. Like i am not sure if cell phones companies will be willing to make completely waterproof mobile phones. Xperia Z is there but it is not like completely water proof. You probably cannot just submerge the phone in water.
But i know that there is some company called Liquipel or something which is a 3rd party doing water proofing of the devices. Something like coating entire device internally and externally with something. Don't have much details.

An 18-year-old Indian-American girl has invented a super-capacitor device that could potentially charge your cellphone in less than 20 seconds. (?!)
Looks like non-tech journalists are writing for all the Indian dailies - claiming she's developed a fast charger, when she's developed a fast charging battery :p

What she's developed is a better supercapacitor with a higher energy density, that may one day be small enough to replace a cellphone battery, and these supercaps can charge in 20 seconds. Your typical Li-Ion battery cannot be charged in 20 seconds.

Supercapacitors are not new, they're already used in KERS systems in hybrid cars. Not sure if its ground-breaking either, graphene electrode supercaps already claim higher energy densities (276 Farads per gram). As for how far away we are from seeing this implemented - her paper claims 20.1Wh/kg. Assuming an operating voltage of say 3.7V like the Li-Ions, thats ~5400 mAh/kg. So a typical 2700mAh supercapacitor cellphone battery would be 1/2 a kg, i.e. its not practical yet. But its a step in the right direction :)

This will not be available for xperia z or any other phone that we have today.

In plain English, this is a new type of battery that doesn't work with existing devices and can only light an led today. Lets hope there ll be a commercial version of this tech in the next few years.

Back