Storage Solutions in Delhi, want to buy an SSD and figure out how to replace my hard disk with it

unkempt

Disciple
Hi,

I'd like to purchase an SSD and replace the disk in my laptop with it. I don't have the slightest clue about how to do either of the two :) So I'm wondering if anyone's been buying SSDs in India locally? I think I'd want an intel-brand drive

As for my current computer, it's a Dell Inspiron e1505. How would I be able to tell if it can take an SSD?

Well all the laptops can take a ssd. Go to Nehruplace and purchase one from SMC or R R SYSTEMS, bajaj house, or you may purchase one from the dealers in TE. Price will almost be the same.. plan the capacity (gbs) and purchase one. Depending on how deep your pocket is.
If you plan to go to Nehruplace take your laptop along with you. The shop will get the hdd replaced for kind (do remember to get your old hdd back) :)
If you plan to go it on your own, you need a Philips screwdriver. Open the hdd compartment of your laptop ( keep the laptop on a flat surface upside down , you'll see two compartment , one for RAM the other one for Hdd, the rectangular one is for RAM and the more square one if for Hdd). Remove the ols disk after unscrewing. Replace with the new one. Close the hdd compartment lid and you are done. Ensure to take a copy of your needed data on an external hdd before stating. Else you may also purchase a external hdd casing and use your old hdd with it as an external hdd
Hope all this made some sense

Regards
Amit

[Mod]Please avoid SMS Lingo! Corrected for now, try and stick to proper English. [/Mod]
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

thanks.. I didn't know one could conveniently find them in Nehru place..

I'd have to figure out some way to transfer the data from my old to my new disk.. Some way that'd copy everything 100% so it'd boot and so forth.. hmm..

one advice,do a clean install of windows if you have time,performance will better and if you dont have time to reinstall,you do get a migrating software with intel ssd.

use that.

Clean installs are no longer needed if you have the latest Core i series hardware with Windows 7 as your OS. With XP, you need to do a clean install for safety!

yeah i'm tempted to see if a clean install can rid me of the really annoying performance problems my disk is having.. there's a 'recovery' partition on the disk and i'm tempted to try it but i don't want to lose my windows install, programs etc if something goes wrong there like it asks for activation or a serial number or something you know?

i guess i can try cloning the drive to an external hard drive, try running the recovery program and if something goes wrong i can overwrite it with the image right?

i'm just being very cautious here with all options cause i don't want to lose any ability to get back to work if anything goes wrong

rite said:
Clean installs are no longer needed if you have the latest Core i series hardware with Windows 7 as your OS. With XP, you need to do a clean install for safety!
I wonder what is the hardware impact on this?

unkempt said:
hmm I called SMC and they didn't have SSDs for laptops

I called Intel and (although polite) they weren't helpful at all...
hehehehehe, all 2.5inch SSDs can be used in laptops. So next time you call SMC, tell them you need a 2.5inch SSD.

this is frustrating

RR Systems say they don't have it

SMC said they can get the Intel for me ... if I show up (!) and he wont' confirm what model number it is

I said can you migrate my old data he said no :( he'll just install the new disk

sigh.. I really need to know the model number of this 80gb intel SSD he's talking about

can someone help me figure out what to do

My new plan is to just get the disk and migrate the data myself

What extra equipment / software will I need?

What I want to do is, clone the disk onto the SSD

and then in the SSD try 'dell recovery' to see if I can get a pristine windows xp install

and then migrate files etc as needed from the old disk. I guess I'd need a holder or bay of some sort for it then, to make it act like an external drive

I will not clone Windows from hard drive to SSD, but thats just me.

Also why do you need Intel drive specifically??? Corsair Force 3 series is ahead of Intel in terms of performance at present.

And yes you would need an external case to put the internal HDD inside and connect it through USB to your laptop.

unkempt said:
this is frustrating

RR Systems say they don't have it

SMC said they can get the Intel for me ... if I show up (!) and he wont' confirm what model number it is

I said can you migrate my old data he said no :( he'll just install the new disk

sigh.. I really need to know the model number of this 80gb intel SSD he's talking about

can someone help me figure out what to do

My new plan is to just get the disk and migrate the data myself

What extra equipment / software will I need?

What I want to do is, clone the disk onto the SSD

and then in the SSD try 'dell recovery' to see if I can get a pristine windows xp install

and then migrate files etc as needed from the old disk. I guess I'd need a holder or bay of some sort for it then, to make it act like an external drive

I don't quite follow the logistics here.. so I take Clonezilla

I make an image of my current hard disk

how do I put it on the new SSD? I can just put the SSD in the case to start with and connect it over USB?

I don't necessarily need an Intel, I just assumed those were the most reliable. My budget is 10k for the SSD, a couple thousand more will be required for the external case(s) etc I guess.

unkempt said:
I don't quite follow the logistics here.. so I take Clonezilla

I make an image of my current hard disk

how do I put it on the new SSD? I can just put the SSD in the case to start with and connect it over USB?

I don't necessarily need an Intel, I just assume those were the most reliable
Intel makes very decent enterprise SSDs but in the consumer segment its all the same. Performance is what differentiates in consumer segment, and atm with the new Sandforce Controller, Corsair SSDs are much ahead of the competition (Crucial has competitive SSDs as well, but I guess they are not available in India).

Yup to start with Put the SSD in the external case and connect it to your laptop with USB. Once the cloned image is copied. Put the SSD inside your laptop. If boot is successful then you need to follow guides to properly setup your OS to utilise TRIM and disable/enable other features to have an optimum setup of OS.

NOTE Do not buy Corsair Force 3 120GB drive. They presently have some issues, though Corsair has proactively stopped shipping them and would pay for shipping back and forth for RMAing them.

unkempt said:
what's a TE Dealer?
There are a few members of TechEnclave (TE) who are registered dealers i.e. they sell stuffs with valid bill. Its much more like online shops but with some confidence as they have to abide by some rules and if anything goes wrong, mods and admins (and of course us, the other members) are here to help you . For more info, browse thise dealer's paradise section :)

I got an Intel 320 80gb from SMC international

cloned using acronis easy migrate

man to be honest it was a headache to screw / unscrew things, clone it properly etc but eventually got it done

My computer is old (4 years old now) so it's not really letting the SSD work to its full speed in benchmarks but the upgrade is still very noticeable... computer is much faster and responsive

Back