Importing Speakers from Europe/US

Hi

Let's say a friend of mine is coming from Europe and I want to import a set of speakers which might weigh 20kgs. What considerations do I have to evaluate - custom duty / excessive baggage / etc etc?
Since he is coming personally, I am hoping that I will get the product at its actual price with no extra charges. Am I missing something?

20 kgs is heck of a weight.he/she will have to shell out extra bucks firsly for taking the speakers with him.you do realize there are weight restrictions in flights..Then comes the customs scene...if they look bulky and I guess they do , it will attract customs..

Unless they are very oddly shaped (some international carriers passing through or originating from US look at the total dimension length + breadth + height), 20kgs is within the acceptable weight limits of check in baggage for most (all?) international flights. As for customs, the regular rules would apply. Anything in excess of 35K would attract duty on the differential (the amount in excess of 35K)

Unless they are very oddly shaped (some international carriers passing through or originating from US look at the total dimension length + breadth + height), 20kgs is within the acceptable weight limits of check in baggage for most (all?) international flights. As for customs, the regular rules would apply. Anything in excess of 35K would attract duty on the differential (the amount in excess of 35K)

hmmm, i have seen people carry 2 laptops (50k+ each) without being charged customs. Hows does that happen then? Cant same thing happen here?

@dragonball, the 35K limit is in addition to the provision to carry ONE personal laptop. Most people carry two stating that the other is an 'official' one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back