Laptops Importing laptop help

jammy420

Adept
Planning to order from eurocom.com, but ppobox denied imports above 1 lakh. Mine comes to 1.5-1.7 lakhs. Don't want to take the risk of custom clearance by importing myself

Is there anyone who is coming interested in helping?
Any other way?

Easiest way out of this is to request the seller to show the laptop piece as a replacement piece thereby showing value as 0$ (requires an enclosing letter from you stating that you had sent it for repair and this is merely a replacement). I'm sure if you're spending that much they will do it.
If they do not want to do any of that, try contacting aramex (shipping company) to try and help you out.

I pinged shipping services regarding this. They say customs may ask for the invoice of original purchase and also custom charges may be levied based on that... However if you have shipped previously also through services, you may be excluded.

However one shipper informed me that it is a common practice that the sellers reduce the shipping value of the product.

I am also going to add several components locally. So price of shipment is much lesser

That's your best bet then. yes it is a common practice for sellers to ship at a reduced invoice value to avoid heavy duties, i would tell you to tell the laptop company to give the laptop invoice at around 400$(not too low nor too high), so it's believable. If they asks you to pay customs , it'll be less than a 100$ which is a bargain considering the actual shipment value. But as a thumb rule if the shipment value is way too low they don't charge you duty but i wouldn't risk that with a shiny new 1800$ laptop. I would just say it's for 400$, i sent it with a friend for repair and the compnay agreed to ship it back directly to you since the invoice and address is in your name.

400$ ?!

I was thinking of 800$. Thought it to be lesser and now thinking about 1000$
Lol, customs has become a pain ever since Modi came. 1000$ is way too much, don't shoot yourself in the foot if you are forced to pay customs. 600$ should be good. Everyone knows if you buy electronics from outside india it's way cheaper, the officer knows it too. 99% they won't do anything, in case of any insecurities, just tell the shipping company to pay 100$ customs and end it, the customs guys won't look twice if the calculation works out to that much.

Have anyone carried laptop with you from other countries to india.? My friend says they might ask to login to the laptop. It is fine. But I thought of ordering without OS.
So should I order with OS? Which would be advantageous in terms of escaping the custom without issues?

Have anyone carried laptop with you from other countries to india.? My friend says they might ask to login to the laptop. It is fine. But I thought of ordering without OS.
So should I order with OS? Which would be advantageous in terms of escaping the custom without issues?

Yes, at US custom/clearance they want you to start the laptop and show it is working, but that is if you are carrying it with you in your hand baggage, in the check in baggage it should not matter

Back