Laptops Importing a Laptop!

deadlyvenom

Disciple
hello everybody
i'll be going to malaysia soon and I'm planning to buy a laptop there and bring it back with me to India.
what I wanna know is,am I gonna have to pay any import duty for the laptop?
please keep in mind I'm an Indian resident going abroad on a 4 day vacation.
has anyone tried this before?
please help me out here asap coz I'll be leaving tomorrow evening.
Thank You

Plz Do Check abt Warranty.. is tht Warranty Will be valid in India .

Also note if any 1 provide u on-site warranty there in malasiya that on site warranty will not be valid in india . u will have to go to their service center for any problem

Most of them provide International warranties..

ACER

I know for sure that SONY and APPLE provide international warranties..

basically, if u have a genuine proof of purchase from an authorized reseller/distributor, the you can always get the warranty claim at a local reseller or the company..

Apple provides international, Sony, I doubt it, But Guptaji is sure he says, maybe policies have changed.

Dell provides international 100%, and bringing one lap top along with you, is offically duty free. It has been for a few years now.

sony does give international warranty for some models, not sure if for all. + u might have to pay something extra, but yes, they do give it :)

buddy.. in dell it will only be international (in other words valid in india) if its onsite warranty initially.. or else it wont be valid here.. an ul be stuck here like i once was.

So jus check on tat if ur going in for dell!

Acer is international warranty too, and we've availed of it for a friend in India without any issues. Best is to ask, and we got this from a small hole-in-the-wall shop in KL. They will tell you upfront if there is international warranty or not.

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1420 from Malaysia yesterday.
The config is as follows:
Intel C2D, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 14.1 inch Trulife display, DVD Writer, Bluetooth, Wifi, Webcam, Vista Home Premium

It cost me around 35k-36k in Indian Rupees. The same config is currently costing about 47k on Dell India.

I have taken 1 year Next Business Day warranty.
Just called the Dell helpline in India and he told me that all I need to do is fill an online form transferring the Dell "service tag" from Malaysia to India. That should take about 15 days. After that my warranty is valid in India.

I had read somewhere that the international Dell warranty only appliesto 3 year warranties. But the Dell India guy didn't say anything of that sort. Will post on this forum once I get my warranty transferred to India.

i spoke to a dell rep today about buying a vostro 1400 N.
he said tht the warranty offered is 1 year (throughout Asia Pacific)..
and the 3 year limited warranty is International - valid everywhere and costs Rs.5000/- extra.. which he was willing to give me at 4000.

Just to add.... in Malaysia only Dell Laptops are dirt cheap compared to India. All others....HP/Compaq, Sony, etc are almost the same price as in India

^^^ uhh....no?

We picked up the entry level Acer (what was at that time the entry level) with a 1.8 GHz Turion, 1 GB RAM and a multi-drive, for 24K without OS. The same laptop was 32K at the time in India, and with 512MB RAM.

A friend got a fully loaded top-end Vaio (2/200GB, 2.2Ghz Centrino Duo, NVidia 7900 graphics, plus a 40GB external hard drive) for about 65K, and the same configuration was about 90 when we costed it out in India. I'm not going to comment on the fact it was a Vaio, but the fact is that it was a good 30% lower in price.

Both the laptops were bought on the same trip, though I wasn't around when the second was bought. I can't comment on HP/Compaq, they may be similarly priced but they weren't on the consideration list anyway.

vee10turbo said:
i spoke to a dell rep today about buying a vostro 1400 N.
he said tht the warranty offered is 1 year (throughout Asia Pacific)..
and the 3 year limited warranty is International - valid everywhere and costs Rs.5000/- extra.. which he was willing to give me at 4000.

hey buddy did u hav this conversation here in india.. i mean cause normally warranty extension to 3 years for vostro is like 7-8k .. so how come he told u 5 k?? let me know cause if it is 4 k then i might think bout buyin a new nb.. :hap2:

yea amityrock..
im talking about the dell vostro warranty extension over here in india..dell rep said it costs 5k..
but is it really needed? and one thing i forgot to clarify was what parts are covered under this warranty..
do u think it is worth it for around 4k? and it is an international warranty.. i think its a necessity for me cos im planning to go to Australia for studies.. the normal 1 yr warranty is only for Asia Pacific..
Approximately after how much time would one expect a Dell Vostro 1400 to start giving problems? (considering tht this is a business notebook)

hey buddy.. at 4k.. i dont think its good.. i think its a necessity.. cause trust me if anythin goes kaput on ur laptop.. its a massive massive expense gettin it replaced by a dell/ or any company. my friends ibm went kaput an hed to pay 3k jus to get it checked by them (parts were seperate)

and as for saying how much time.. well u never know .. it can happen anytime even in a couple of weeks since purchase.. one power surge/ misconnection an god knows how many things in the laptop can get screwd..

further more u should certainly buy it since in australia their service charges are gonna be even more exorbitant. So id say dont even think about buyin the notebook witout ta extension. Are u sure they said 4k for warranty extension from 1 to 3 years and not for the coverage area extension from asia pacific to international?? cause the dell website states the 3 year warranty extension package at 11k.. hard to believe ud get such a massive discount (from 11k to 4k) tas like 65% off..;-)

Back