Audio IEM suggestion for $50 ~ 2.5k INR

Dhrubo

Disciple
Okay, now I know there have been multiple threads before but since I am confused to my wits ends here goes my personal one :ashamed:
Firstly am no audiophile and my listening gears so far has been stock apple earbuds -> some sony model -> SM PL30 (which I liked a lot before one side conked off) -> JVC Marshmallow (its a step down but it was meant to be an interim one before a bigger purchase).
Preference - I am alien to the jargon normally associated with sound quality but to put into perspective I prefer good detailing, pronounced mids and good instrument separation. Am not a bass head but I would prefer a better punch than what the PL 30 provided.
Choices - Now coming to the choices I guess M2 just about falls into my budget if I want to get one locally. The next option is to get from US.
One of my friend is flying down and he can carry one for me, which gives me these options -
1. Meelectronics A151 - 50$ on amazon. The build quality is what attracts me.
2. Meelectronics CC51 - 44$ on ebay. Rated over the A151s by ClieOS.
3. Klipsch S4 - Not sure about the price.
4. Soundmagic E30 - around 40$.
I had heard good things about Nuforce NE 700x but it is 65$ and out of my budget :(.
I am unaware of other brands at this price point. Would really appreciate if you guys help me point out better earphones at this budget or choose among these. Thanks in advance.

Id suggest you get the NuForce Ne6 / Ne7 . Pretty good on the detail and no too shabby on the Bass.

The Brainwavz M2 also seems to be a good choice, but slightly expensive. Though worth it!

Ill be putting my Ne7 up for sale soon, asa i get my Se215's

The Brainwavz M4 is coming out soon and will probably be in the $50 range if you are willing to wait. Also, the RE-0 from esanthosh in the market section looks like a solid deal in your budget though they are supposed to have very less bass.

Thanks guys for replying.

@Vikid - I suppose M2 would be a better buy than the Ne-6 or Ne-7.

@chiron - I am not quite comfortable buying used IEMs although if I ever buy one esantosh would be definitely preferred. When are the M4s coming out? And by the pricing it seems to be placed between M1 and M2 unless its a special pre order price we are talking about.

M2 might be way to much bass for your tastes . If you need amazing mids with just slightly more punchy bass than PL-30 , even the Brainwavz M1 or Pro Alpha would be sufficient for you .

^I was specifically deliberating on M2 for this specific reason. I was wondering whether the ME A151 would be a better buy than M1. Specifically because I am not the most careful when it comes to handling stuffs and all my previous earphones have conked off on one of the sides or the wires have come loose from the plug :ashamed:. The braided cable makes me think it might be able to handle the wear and tear better. I suppose M1 costs around 1950 and I am okay to shell out 500 extra for peace of mind. Also any take on the CC51 model? Will it be a better buy at ~ 2200 INR?

on reviews M2 is known for its good bass.

personally i do not find Image S4s not bass heavy - well suited for my kinda music - techno.

these are still going good and also the most comfortable IEMs that i have ever used. in India its available for around 3K. so might in your budget if buying from US!

I was deliberating between Klipsch S4 and the Nuforce 700m. Finally went ahead and ordered the Klipsch S4 today. Let's see how it performs!

SoundMagic E30 would be a direct upgrade to PL30, IMO.

Brainwavz M4 could err on the analytical side - MP4 Nation Forums • View topic - Brainwavz M4

They sound noticeable different from M3. Put it this way, the M4 will be for people that wanted the M2 to be better with detail and mids mixed in with those that wanted the M3 sound to be more fun.

Last revision of the m4 sound and pretty much what we will be going with for production and the sound is more like a little brother to the B2. Mids and highs are very well represented, quite analytical but more bass than what is on the B2.

They will be more expensive than the M2...but maybe not during the preorder

NE-6/7m has been discontinued, I think. It's not technically proficient and I would not say that I'd place it on the same level as M2. However, among the budget models I listened to, it is one of the few which had a very non-fatiguing signature that can be listened to for long hours. It too has a good sound stage, but you might lose the treble sparkle compared to PL30.

MEE A151 has the one of best cables I've found south of $100. It has a very specific focus on the mid-bass and lower mids, which may not be to everybody's taste. Sound stage is only normal in size, treble is a bit recessed. But it's slightly well bodied sound, clarity and focus enables it to be fatigue free, but not suitable for all genres.

MEE CC51 is a step up from A151, but only slight. The things I liked about it are the ceramic housing and the very good isolation it provided. In the end, I felt it was a very slight step down from Brainwavz M3 though I could not compare them side by side. Here's a review you might find useful - MEElectronics CC51 Review - POV of an Amateur Audiophile - Headphone User Reviews - abi>>forums

@abhi_jollyguy & esantosh - thanks. So cc51 does seem to be the forerunner given the price point

ME CC51 ebay

@esantosh - the link was really useful. The only thing that worries me is the build quality of the wires and mention of a laid back mid. None of my earphones before have lasted more than 1.5 years :ashamed:. You have mentioned that CC51 is a step up to A151 but only slightly. So are the sound signatures of the two comparable? Also how will you place them against the M2 as a overall package (since M2, I guess, have a different sound signature altogether. But again as long as the bass is not muddy I am okay but it should not overpower the other frequencies). It might also be useful to put down the type of music I normally listen to. It is mostly run-of-the-mill stuff - rock, soft rock, pop, classics and few Indian songs here and there. I am averse to listening to metal, hard rock and hip-hop. Considering all these what would be your suggestion on this? Thanks for looking :).

P.S. The E30 and the CC51 have a 4$ difference and thus am wondering whether I would be better off spending a little more for a better upgrade. I really hope not to indulge into more IEMs in the future (I intend to stay away from the Audio Zone section to help me with this :D)

CC51's mids are not forward as M2's nor it is recessed, it is just about fine, CC51 has more treble and to me it's the plus point coz sometimes I feel that wish M2 has a lil bit more treble sparkles. Soundstage is better on CC51 and that is because the mid focussed factor on M2's though M2 is also a warm+sweet sounding iem with more focussed on mids. Bass is tight and punchy on CC51 and it goes much faster than on M2's.

Dhrubo said:
@esantosh - the link was really useful. The only thing that worries me is the build quality of the wires and mention of a laid back mid. None of my earphones before have lasted more than 1.5 years :ashamed:. You have mentioned that CC51 is a step up to A151 but only slightly. So are the sound signatures of the two comparable? Also how will you place them against the M2 as a overall package (since M2, I guess, have a different sound signature altogether. But again as long as the bass is not muddy I am okay but it should not overpower the other frequencies). It might also be useful to put down the type of music I normally listen to. It is mostly run-of-the-mill stuff - rock, soft rock, pop, classics and few Indian songs here and there. I am averse to listening to metal, hard rock and hip-hop. Considering all these what would be your suggestion on this? Thanks for looking :).

P.S. The E30 and the CC51 have a 4$ difference and thus am wondering whether I would be better off spending a little more for a better upgrade. I really hope not to indulge into more IEMs in the future (I intend to stay away from the Audio Zone section to help me with this :D)

I think abhi_jollyguy has explained it well already. So, I'll just add my little perspective.

M2 has more forward mids. CC51 is not that recessed for you to worry about. The entire Brainwavz M series have a 'please-all' signature where it's hard to dislike for most. CC51 might take a slight bit of time to get used to due to it's 'warm coat' over the sound. If you are a bit sensitive to upper mids and treble, you are better off with M2. But since you liked PL-30, I think CC51 could be a decent choice.

A151 and CC51 are not really comparable in terms of signature. A151 is dark, has little bass and good lower mids, but it's not great as you go up the spectrum. CC51 has much better presence across the spectrum. A151 has better cable, but I liked CC51's form factor better. CC51 offers better value at $50 than A151 at $40 or M3 at $80. But if all were priced similarly, I'd probably pick M3.

For a relative ranking, check the link in my signature - just one person's opinion. What I really mean by 'slightly better' is that on an overall basis, there's not a huge difference between the two. Joker's SQ score for M2, A151, CC51 and M3 are 7.2, 7.5, 7.7 and 7.7 respectively. I would say that my view is roughly about the same.

Xears XE200Pro is a good option too. At 38 Euros shipped (after applying coupon KLANGFUZZIS), it is a slight bit over your 2.5K upper limit, but not by much. Read Joker's review linked above. If you are not averse to getting it from Germany with a cheaper build quality, I'd recommend it over others.

Got myself a pair of CC51 finally. Received it today from a very dear friend, got it as a gift finally :clap:.

Minimal no non sense packing, quality is nothing to right home about but the ceramic housing looks cool although it makes it heavier than the other IEMs I have had before. It is pretty comfortable to wear though.

Right out of the box the first thing I noticed is the Bass. It's quite a lot more than what I am used to but having said that it is pretty tight. The second thing that hit me was the warm texture everybody talked about here. The mids are clear but slightly laid back. I wouldn't have minded if it had been slightly more forward. The sound stage is pretty average though.

Overall these are a huge step up for me from the marshamallows and the PL30s I have listened to thus far. Thanks to everyone who helped me decide. Off to enjoy some music :). Ciao.

How do you compare the treble & mid with PL30, which one is good?
which is better for long listening & fatigue free...

N82 said:
How do you compare the treble & mid with PL30, which one is good?

which is better for long listening & fatigue free...

I do not find either of these IEMs very fatiguing. But the CC51 would be uncomfortable if you have small ear holes. The mids are pretty comparable. The treble is slightly better off in the CC51s. But the sound signature altogether is pretty different than the PL30s. The sound stage is quite constricted though.

Back