ICICI calling and asking to login live!!

^ me too. I never entertain un solicited calls. I tell them that I am busy and insist that I am always busy and they should not call me again. For calls like this one... I would tell her to send me a mail and I will look it up later when I have free time.

I got a similar call a couple of days ago, from a mobile number.. :p. Some guy spoke and told me that he is from a credit card division,and he needs to verify details. He addressed me by my name. Wanted to know if my card was visa or MasterCard. He didn't ask that too directly. Instead he asked me how the logo looked and what colour it was. :p Anyway, I knew he was fishing around for some info without even knowing which bank card I was having. I had some conversation with him for a few minutes after which I hung up.. By that time he was desperate enough to threaten me that if I didn't comply, I would be unnecessarily paying 9500 rs as fine.. LOL
I also received similar call. They said they are service provider for my credit card company and they wanted to provide me some W-Card. I asked them how can I trust you? They told me last four digit of my credit card. I was quite surprised but later realized that while paying by credit cart, you last four digit are printed on receipt. They must have gotten this information in this way. Luckily I was in font of my laptop and Googled for W-Card and found out that they are scammers. I cut the call in middle abruptly. To get Master/Visa information, they asked me to confirm the logo color on my credit card for verification purposes.

I again got call after 2 days. They started as usual and I recognized. I told them to f**k off as I don't need W Card and threatened them that my number is registered in DND registry and if I get another call, I'll complain to police. After that they haven't called. Beware of W-Card guys.

The best thing to do would be to put them on hold or just play along and keep giving false information.

I had couple of experiences a few years ago that I am listing here.

1. One time there was this credit card guy who was pestering me. So, I gave an appointment to meet and give him a fictitious address at a remote location of city. He kept calling me at the appointment time for directions and wasted well over an hour in trying to find a fictitious address.

2. There was this one company that kept calling me for financial planning. I kept refusing them but they kept on insisting. So asked the guy to meet me at my place. When he came to my place I told him that I am going to invest well over 50 lakhs and hence I need their branch manager to meet me in person. The poor fellow came with his manager. Then I gave them a glass of water and told them I am not interested in their services. The manager was shocked. I told him this is exactly how I feel when my time gets wasted. After this incident I never got a call back from that company.

Guys I suggest we make a list of all these numbers and complain to a proper authority. These aholes have gone unchecked. Lets fight back. Take a minute and write down numbers. TRAI has big penalties if I remember.

Reporting does not seem to deter them. I have installed an app "India Against Spam". It has the ability to report calls and SMS as Spam if you are registered on DND. I must have reported close to 100 callers. Hardly 3 to 4 have had their connections barred. This was over a year ago. These days I only get an SMS acknowledgement from my mobile provider (Airtel) that the complaint has been registered. I do not get any notification of the complaint status at a later date.

Since yesterday mom is getting call from this no. 0265 613 0400 but it got missed couple of times.
Today just now I answered the call and a lady was online.

She said she is calling on behalf of ICICI and want to do some online banking verification server login etc.
She first asked which cos. cell you using and what os.
Accordingly she sent an sms asking to open that link. The sms was sent from 0000000000.
Again she sent google play store link which isnt compatible with lumia.
Then she asked if I already have any ICICI app installed and I agreed.
She was asking me to login in the icici mobile app while putting her call on hold.:confused:

Obviously I was suspicious and straightway said this sounds some fraud and how can any bank ask customer to login in some app while putting a call on hold??:coldfeet: She said this isnt any fraud & she isnt asking a/c no, un or pw etc. but just to confirm and secure server side authentication and hence asking all users to login to their mobile banking.

Now this is way tooooo much sounding beyond phishing fraud!:nailbiting:

I immediately made a story stating that my mom is abroad at the moment and her login details are with her. And I'm using her phone coz at last min. her phone developed some issues hence I gave here my phone.

But the lady wasnt done and refused to give up. She asked me to call my mom abroad and ask login details. :wtf:Now I was like WTF??? I acted smart & replied in anger that on this no. I'ntl calls arent activated and further more why the hell shall I disturb her vacation just for a chiller app issue? And its night over there so wont disturb here. Also mom doesnt use any app or etc. so doesnt matter if you guys deactivate it or whatever.

Again she asked when can she callback to complete the process and I replied ok call tomorrow to settle this for last time.:mad:

I dont know if this is really a fradulent call or not coz mom has received all ICICI transaction details via the same 00000000000 only as I checked.

Also when I asked her that even my dad and me have icici a/cs and we never got such calls to which she replied that we might have already got activated our mobile app access!!:banghead:

Can anybody working in ICICI or other confirm if this is genuine or fraud?

Dear Sir,

We confirm you that, the call you have received has not been made by ICICI Bank. ICICI Bank never asks personal, account or financial information from the customers. Please do not reveal your financial details or passwords to anyone. We request you to write to antiphishing@icicibank.com with your contact details incase you receive any such calls. Further, we have made a note of the mentioned contact number and will get it investigated.

Regards,
ICICI Bank Customer Service Team

Just now got another similar call and this time the lady was more informative, matured and sensible. Again I asked her the same questions and she politely cleared all doubts. But I told that dont need iMobile icici app activated. And I asked if I should call on same no. in future for activation and she replied that I need to visit icici website and dial toll-free no. mentioned there specific for mobile banking.

Cybercriminals are increasingly using voice phishing – or vishing – to extract money
from victims’ bank accounts. Gordon Holmes explains what you can do to combat it

QUESTION TIME
Fraudsters then lead the
customer through some made-up
security questions, and ask for
details of the last three legitimate
transactions. The customer is
told that all cards associated with
the account will be replaced, and
that online accounts will need to
be reset. The fraudster then tells
the customer that one-time
passwords will be sent by text
and that they’ll call back to test if
these passwords are working.
The customer is asked for
their online login details (I’m sad
to report that these have often
been surrendered), and as the
phone call continues the
fraudster logs into the customer
account, and new beneficiary
accounts belonging to criminal
money mules are created.
The creation of these new
accounts leads to one-time
passwords being sent by text to
the registered phone as part of
the two-factor authentication
system employed by the bank,
but as the customer has been
primed to expect such a text,
there’s no suspicion that the
account has been compromised.
The fraudster then calls the
customer back and asks them to
read out the one-time password
that has been sent by text. This
password is used by the bad guys
to authenticate the new
beneficiary and money is stolen
from the account.
CALL BACK
This method of theft is enjoying
a large amount of success, but it
can be defeated as long as you’re
thinking straight. If you receive a
call from someone claiming to be
from your bank, get their name,
phone number and department
and then put the phone down.
Next, call your bank from a
different telephone and check
the information the original caller
gave you. You should call from a
different phone as there have
been instances where fraudsters
have stayed on the line, only to
answer, once the victim has
finished dialling, with the name
of their bank.
Two-factor authentication can
be an effective security control,
but not if you deliver the
password into the hands of the
bad guys. I’m not going to labour
the point, but never give any
details to anyone over the phone.
This might sound like obvious
advice, but the authenticsounding
script the fraudsters
use can be surprisingly effective.
So where are the bad guys
getting all this juicy information,
such as your phone number and
the bank you use? It’s more than
likely it’s from a compromised
and malware-infected computer,
so run your regular scans and
download the security software
that many banks supply.
You’re less likely to run into
problems reclaiming your stolen
cash if you have a bank’s security
software installed, and can
always say that you took all
reasonable steps to prevent a
computer compromise.
Many banks can tell if your
machine is infected with malware
as soon as you connect to their
internet banking services, thanks
to some pretty sophisticated
fraud engines sitting in the online
banking infrastructure. The
question is, should the banks let
you know if you are using a
compromised machine?
I would argue that yes, they
should. In my view the banks
have a duty of care to their
customers and, let’s face it, if
they know your machine is
compromised with malicious
software and merely place you
on a hotlist that subjects all your
transactions to greater scrutiny,
this still leaves you open to a
multitude of other potential
criminal actions.

GORDON HOLMES
With more than 30 years of
experience in law enforcement,
our retired cop gives a police
officer’s perspective on the
sticky subject of cybercrime
letters@computershopper.co.uk

Source:Computer Shopper (May,2015)

Why would you even click the link....? It was/is fraud (even if just to log you in to an official application), from the initial attempt. And you had to cook up a story too, to save yourself. Just cut the call.
He is just being nice to the lady ;)

I received 2 calls like this in 20 days and all are fake calls. The numbers i received calls are 9210594216 and +912656130400. I just replied them saying " you are saying that you are from icici bank but i dont have any icici accounts then how come you say i have credit card or i have to install application" When i say this, they immediately hanged up the call :) Anyways i wrote an email to the bank with the details of the number, immediately they replied the following.

Dear Mr.Keerthivasan,

We understand your concern.

We tried to call you on xxxxxxXXX however we could not contact you.

With reference to your e-mail, we confirm you that, the call you have received has not been made by ICICIBank.

This is a scam called 'vishing' wherein certain individuals/entities solicit, personal information like InternetBanking user ID, passwords, credit/debit card numbers, bank account information or other personal and sensitive information from unsuspecting customers.

We urge you not to reply to such calls. Please do not share any of your personal information in response to such calls. ICICI Bank will not ask for this information via call or by directing you to a link online.

If you have revealed your account details in response to this call or any such, please call and inform ourICICI Bank Customer Care with your STD code followed by 33667777 immediately and put in a request to block your user ID and password.

We reiterate that ICICI Bank acts at all times with in good faith, with diligence and without any intent prejudicial to the interests of its customers.

We look forward to more opportunities to be of service to you.

Sincerely,

Raju

Customer Service Officer

ICICI Bank Limited

Few days back I had to spend couple of hours at ICICI branch for bank certificate. While I was waiting there, no less than 2-3 guys came by asking why the bank called them and asked for details/why their debit card is being blocked. ICICI guy said they are regularly getting such complaints.

I have an account in SBI and had one in HDFC until recently. Never got any calls like this.

OTOH, I regularly get spam mails about inheritance money, WHO, world bank and lotteries etc.

Sbi never ever calls. But spammers do mail for Rbi and Sbi for some lottery or updated web logins.
In fact they don't even spare tata, maruti, Toyota, GB lottery etc.

Back