PC Peripherals I think my PSU blew up

RanjithMN

Disciple
:(
Hello guys,
My System was running absolutely fine .but one night last week i come home,switch my system on and all i hear is a big bang!No smoke,no smell,just a bang.and well,the system wouldn't switch on too.
The worst part is i had a flight to catch in few hrs and hence couldn't do any trouble shooting! :( and now im away from home wondering what all components must have gone kaput too! :(

My friend might be checking the PSU soon,I quickly looked inside it and nothing looked wrong,not even any smell.

What do you guys think went wrong?and if the PSU did blow up,what are the chances that nothing else blew up along with it?

My config,is in my sig.

Thank you

^^

Try to mix-match components from a friends system see if all your components are still good to go, take out your PSU try to power the other RIG, go through like this with all the components and eliminate the faulty one. Hope this helps.

My System was running absolutely fine .but one night last week i come home,switch my system on and all i hear is a big bang!No smoke,no smell,just a bang.and well,the system wouldn't switch on too.
Bang generally comes from PSU,so most probably its PSU.Ask ur friend to use his PSU to run the system, keep your fingers crossed.

take out your PSU try to power the other RIG
Don't ever suggest this it'll kaput someone else PC.

Cooler Master PCAR-600 = Coolermaster Extreme Power Plus 600W IINM? Looks like another case of a goner here.
I really hope the rest your system components are fine! Good luck!

Sorry for not replying guys.Been waiting for my friend to test the PSU but he hasn't yet.Ill be back in India and Home in couple of days so will check myself.

So in the meantime lets say the PSU blew up and hopefully nothing else :(

What PSU do you suggest for my config?Config is in my signature.I hope to have some room for upgrade too.

And how many years warranty does Coolermaster usually have?i think mine is abt 3yrs old,Any chance i can claim?

and how do i know if it was some other component that caused the mess and also How do i check if my PSU is alive WITHOUT connecting my system to it?

Thanks a million guys!

AFAIK with the present configuration you can grab a Corsair VX550W. Thats more than enough.

Mind letting us know what would your Upgrade would be. So people can advise you.

I think CM have three years warranty for the PSU you have. Let others comment.

Dont thank us, give us reps :p

my dealer says tht the SVC reportedtht my PSU is out of warranty!it hasnt been 3yrs yet!wth?anyway i might get the vx550 ...or how is Tagans TG600-U37 600W or the Coolermaster GX550,its the only one readily available here :(?

@OP

Its definitely the psu, same thing happened with my psu when lightning struck my house 1 year ago. Please dont try to test the psu with another system because it can damage that systema also. Wish you good luck for the rest of your pc componenets

avinash4 said:
No Idea about Tagan, but dont go for the CM GX550W. I have been using it, want to dispose it ASAP. Never intend to take any chances.
Alright tnx,but wat exactly is the prob?...are all CM's like this? :(
harishgayatri said:
OP,

How much are you willing to spend?
4-4.5k and if absolutely neccessory then 5k.
simforgotten said:
@OP

Its definitely the psu, same thing happened with my psu when lightning struck my house 1 year ago. Please dont try to test the psu with another system because it can damage that systema also. Wish you good luck for the rest of your pc componenets
but in my case there was no such thing.it just blew up,jst like tht :(

Cooler Master real power pro series is very good.For your rig a 450W would be enough so u have options to buy a Gigabyte Superb 460W ,seasonic S12II 430W,CM real power pro 460W or gx 450W

Alright tnx,but wat exactly is the prob?...are all CM's like this?

They have lot of Ripple. And since you have a Flexible budget, go for the Corsair VX550W(4.8K), SeaSonic SS-500-ES 500W(3.2K),SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+(3.5K) .

vip said:
Cooler Master real power pro series is very good.For your rig a 450W would be enough so u have options to buy a Gigabyte Superb 460W ,seasonic S12II 430W,CM real power pro 460W or gx 450W
tnx,450 is enough eh?then ill go for a 550 so i can leave room for some upgrade later on.what is your opnion on the gx series?
avinash4 said:
They have lot of Ripple. And since you have a Flexible budget, go for the Corsair VX550W(4.8K), SeaSonic SS-500-ES 500W(3.2K),SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+(3.5K) .
tnx again,im sry but what do you mean by ripple?

Anyway tnx a lot for all your suggetions,looks like ill go for the vx or real power 550.they have 5 yrs warrany right?and can anyone confirm tht CM extreme power series have only 2 yr warranty?
Thank you

@OP
If you own a UPS u may want to check that first.

same thing a happened to me last week when there was lighting and thunder.
UPS,MOBO and modem got roasted. To my suprise the PSU(CM EXTREME 600W) is fine.

Coolermaster SilentProM and Gold are some of the best PSUs in the world, comparable to Corsair HX and perhaps even AX series. But I dunno if you would like to spend as much and you perhaps don't even need to for a mid range model since Corsair is more available in that range.

If you plan to go for 700-850 watts or more, you can seriously consider Coolermaster SilentProM or even Gold(800 watts gold is like 10k)

Back