I Just Quit. Who else is qutting?

^ 'his' work! Dude, it's the company's work, and that's what the money is paid for :D

This brings me to another question. What is the avg price of a 5 - 6 year old software professional, among the mid to large size MNCs? Might do good to get myself a reality check :D

no matter how much one tries to justify or say good things, what matters at the end of the day is what one pockets at the end of the month. And I totally agree of what is mentioned above. A small reality check I did for me revealed im atleast 1.5-2x underpaid locally and 5x times abroad for the same profile. its this feeling that creeps in and it eventually gets you sunk.

also at my ex employeer have faced the issue with 'new' people earning 2x at a -1 level and I used to be , WTF....A person getting trained under me at a level -1 would smile at the end of the month cause he would work less and get paid 2x my salary. That used to be a complete turn off. Although it never affected the quality of work that I would put in , it would always be at the back of my mind.

At my current work place, I've learnt a big lesson that being loyal to the company and going that extra mile to achieve milestones only helps you add that line to your CV, that would carry heavy weightage elsewhere.

Also, I hate! :mad: it when i receive emails saying - "This will seriously impact your performance review".......and I go, yes right, which was 'supposed' to be like what 1-1.5 years back ?

Recently I heard from a friend he got a 5 figured bonus :O and a salary increment even though he has completed just 9 months in the company, so on pro rata basis he got that. And that it happens every year. I wish all companies were like that and they don't keep playing the 'fake' recession card!

thetechmind said:
Also, I hate! :mad: it when i receive emails saying - "This will seriously impact your performance review".......and I go, yes right, which was 'supposed' to be like what 1-1.5 years back ?

Recently I heard from a friend he got a 5 figured bonus :O and a salary increment even though he has completed just 9 months in the company, so on pro rata basis he got that. And that it happens every year. I wish all companies were like that and they don't keep playing the 'fake' recession card!

There must a reason why you are being treated this?

If I was you I would go talk to management rightaway, do straight talk without any fear.if still no satisfactory answer is provided. I would have start looking for a new job, to join a company which actually cares about its employees.

PS: its just me or everyone, I think small growing startups have more friendly and personnel touch to work environment than these big MNCs. what a say?

Being loyal to a company is never a good thing. It doesn't accomplish anything for you. Being loyal to your work is what matters and what gets you that next better job when you want to quit your existing one. When you put an extra mile put it because you are sincere/loyal to your work and want to get it done and at the same time its very important to make your superiors/company understand that its not a display of loyalty to the company. I think my superiors always understood that about me and the reason that I was given fair appraisals compared to those that were loyal to the company. They understand that the moment they give me a reason to leave, I will leave.

The moment your company thinks you are loyal, you will be exploited. When my sis moved to Wipro, she told me about a girl working there for 8 years and she was actually loyal to the company. She puts in no less than 12 hours per day and according to my sis, she has good knowledge and worked well.

Guess what her CTC was? 3 lac odd. My sis has less than half her her expr and she was being paid twice. According to my sis, there are many nut cases like this working there.

In any case this girl got some sense pumped into her after being with my sis and a few others who joined Wipro at the time. She talked to her superiors and told them that she was dissatisfied and guess what, she got a 50% increment while usually she was getting very puny increments every year. 5 Lac is still peanuts compared to what some one with that expr level should get. When my sis left Wipro after being for just 6 months, that girl too got inspiration and looked for other opportunities and moved on.

Gaurish said:
I would have start looking for a new job, to join a company which actually cares about its employees.

A company like that is as real as the tooth fairy if you ask me. There is no company that cares about its employees. Companies care only about your work and I would call it a good company as long as they ensure that their employees are compensated fairly.

Gaurish said:
PS: its just me or everyone, I think small growing startups have more friendly and personnel touch to work environment than these big MNCs. what a say?

Yes Its true, but I think its more to do with being small companies than being start ups. Smaller companies mean lesser levels of hierarchy and greater transparency. Employee performance is more visible to peers and superiors and there are better chances for fair appraisals compared to larger company. For example, a friend who worked with IBM told me that his appraisal rating was given by a person who he had never interacted with. How can such a guy appraise him. This kind of thing happens at a lot of other biggie companies as well. In contrast, my own company is pretty small although its been around for more than 20 years, held monopoly in the DTP industry till the early 2000's and one of the few companies responsible for popularizing apple platforms for professional work, so its not exactly a start up, but rather just a small privately funded company. Employees are visible across the different layers of the hierarchy. For example apart from my immediate lead and the manager above him, I interact with the Director, R&D on a daily basis both causally and professionally and he knows what I do and how well I do it. When the Lead architect comes for a visit to India, He too know me by name, what I am doing and has a decent idea how well I am at it. I interact casually with HR people and HR Director regularly. I have even interacted with the VP, Engg of the company on several counts via Web Conferences as well as when he visited India and he too has a fair idea about what the teams are doing and some times even what a certain employee is doing. Our appraisals are done by the managers, further normalized by the Director and approved by the VP. The paper work is done by HR. Most of the these people know the employees well. If there is a discrepancy somewhere, It gets noticed immediately. There is better transparency in the process than at a biggie company where often the hierarchy is so huge that after a certain point people don't even have a clue about the people working under them.

Gaurish said:
There must a reason why you are being treated this?

If I was you I would go talk to management rightaway, do straight talk without any fear.if still no satisfactory answer is provided. I would have start looking for a new job, to join a company which actually cares about its employees.

what u said in ur PS is correct to a certain extent. I agree to the same. and I have no reason why I am treated like this. In fact there might be others also who are treated in the same manner. Talking just doesn't help. I have been giving in direct hints since quite some time now, even to the extent of saying that I might end up coming to work one day and quit :rofl:, still no effect (cause maybe they think , know - "I wont"). And I also answered my own distress maybe you dint catch it. The fake excuse of 'recession' which is LIMITED to a few resources ONLY! So different reasons to different people. I was promised a hike after completing probation (6months), nothing happened, then I thought, they would do it after I complete 1 yr, nothing, then 18 months, nothing, I will be completing 2 yrs at the organization in the 3 months now. The latest thing I received was a verbal session on how things would improve with time, how I should wait for the correct time, etc etc etc. Maybe they dont find me worthy enuf :no:

I think its time i head back to core IT :hap2:

too much of ranting done, sorry if anyone finds it offending....on a side note, i dont hate my job that much, nor do i hate the company, just getting sick and tired of some of the things mentioned. Everytime I come out of the well of these thoughts, and pull along with hope, i get a push more deeper. hope someone gets the point.

@greeny ... u do knw that if you would have quit in June you would have got the bonus?(which will be calculated from April) .. I am just waiting for that :p ..

i just walked in to work and im treated as if a criminal has walked into the office... :no: - i guess not reporting to work last week was a 'punishable' criminal offense for being the spotlight!

Might I also add that a lot of people are self deluded in more ways than one.

Also you cant judge the other person until you have worked with them as a stakeholder.

apextwin146 said:
@greeny ... u do knw that if you would have quit in June you would have got the bonus?(which will be calculated from April) .. I am just waiting for that :p ..

Lol....me too waiting for that :)

Well I cant quit, em quite good in my current company. Besides I left my previous job an year ago and I felt good, but I had to join the company immediately hence no break time and no vacation time.

There are always pro and cons!

The pro in my current company is that I leave my office tensions in office and personal at house, hence managed to keep it pretty balanced.

This is a small company hence I enjoy my normal routine work.

If I was to be greedy than money would had put in other company where I can earn 4times of the income here but with lot of tension.

I was working with a big company with a bigger position and with giant tensions wherein I quit from the old company where I was drowning and than decided to emerge and resign, however lot of challenges were there to leave wherein lot of political issues were intentionally created for me not to resign.

But I resigned, had a sweet talk with my boss, convinced him to sign on the resignation acceptance and then never returned, not even for settlement, salary, etc.

I was offered lesser salary in my current company but lot of comfort hence I agreed and signed up which is to my benefit.

Conclusion of the lecture: Sometimes money does not matter, satisfaction matters.

thetechmind said:
Talking just doesn't help. I have been giving in direct hints since quite some time now, even to the extent of saying that I might end up coming to work one day and quit :rofl:, still no effect (cause maybe they think , know - "I wont").

Then its high time you put your words into action and move on. If you are in the IT industry, it should not be too difficult to get a Job in another company currently. My sis landed with a couple of job offers within three weekends of deciding to move.

greenhorn said:
I know re. I've given the latest date possible. My classes begin a week after my relieving date :p

Ah well then i guess its as good as it gets
I guess they are delaying this to prevent the mass exodus ..
bty-
Time to quit when you are on the verge of getting a sizeable raise ..
Looks like infy screwed u over one last time ..
j/k

I think they are crying wolf. In the end, i dont think the hikes (if at all) will amount to much. Last year, when a friend was about to quit, there were rumours & watch this space mailers floating around about hikes. in the end, it wasnt much.

Probably one or two people will get a few hundred percentage hike, , and that will get averaged to about 4~13% org wide :p

I got a 15pc hike and still I want to quit. My salary is crap though, not even enough to pay for my rent, internet bill/booze. Thank god papaji is there warna I'd be living off maggi all my life..

I am still not in sure about the whole funda .. I guess no one is cuz it has not been implemented so far(otherwise the rumour mills would have been working overtime here) .. They just made the announcement to put some brakes on the growing attrition rate it seems. While rest of the companies have already given bonus et all, we are still waiting for it :dabs:
Atleast you wudnt have to go to through this hike related mental agony like me and raks here :angry: ..

Back