Android I bought the new... Sony Xperia Z1

well lit, tubelight to the left. I used flash of course to point out the issue. Without flash, the bluish haze disappears, but the photos are still noisy.

All images using AUTO.

I can't see a bluish haze in either. But there's definitely a haze caused by flare indicating too much light coming from the wrong direction. Is this photo taken with the case or not, whether the case might be responsible for any flash flare. If not then whether you got some of the tube light in there. But you said haze isn't there without flash. Either way there is some glare and you need to figure out where it came from. Try using your hand as a lens hood to block any light from the tube light.

I take it your lens is clean. There is no plastic on top of the lens ? The second one is out of focus btw.

The ISO is quite high in the second, hence the noise. Auto tends to pick high ISOs to give you faster shutter speed but in this case shutter speed is too low(1/25) to avoid hand shake. Focal length of Z1 is equivalent of 28mm so you need faster than 1/28 to minimise blur. 1/25 vs 1/50 for the first which is more in focus but could be better. Would using the 2s self timer help here ? the shutter button even though handy to bring up the camera i think makes it harder to get a stable shot.

What happens when you drop the ISO to as low as possible in manual with flash. When you lower ISO you will notice the screen get laggy, ignore it, just take the picture.

Can you try and do that for the exact same two scenes, and try and get it better. This will serve as a good illustration of why manual or using specific modes gives a better shot. Try a few times and post your best shots and then mention the modes/settings used. Take note of the shutter speeds and iso's chosen in various modes. This has a direct bearing on how clear or not your photos will be.

And do the same again once the new fw comes, try the same two scenes in auto to see if it made a difference. This way you will be able to gauge yourself in what way auto has improved in comparison to your best manual effort.

Try and keep the angle the same and lighting conditions as close as possible. Take the pics at around the same time you took these. Its good you took them around midnight so it eliminates any sun light affecting things.

If you take a few more benchmarks photos like these you will be able to follow the fw and know yourself what improvements and where and be able to demonstrate it.

Last edited:
Sorry. here's the blue haze which I was talking about: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2476699&page=2
Check the second photograph. That's how photos were turning out for me 90% of the time when flash was being used.
Are you referring to this second photo from this post ?

Without the flash that photo is yellow from the sodium lamps.

The second photo compounds the situation by adding a daylight flash on to the picture. There is no need to use a flash in that situation to begin with.

G2 is a fantastic phone, but I'm expecting it to get some love from the community.. Not expecting lg updates..
Decided to check up on this and its looking good for the d802. I count 5 roms under development there and CM is an official build. Couple more months and things should be stable.

Certainly better than what the intl version of optimus g got. The american variants got more attention than the intl optimus g.

Back