I am trying to add memory to my computer.

Xarzu

Recruit
I am trying to add memory to my computer.

I don't remember the last time I added memory to my motherboard. And I do not know what specifics about my system you need to know in order to give me some advice.

Here is the problem in a nut shell. After I installed my memory, I powered on my computer and it would cycle between starting up and shutting down continuously. I don't know that to think. I don't know if there are some steps I am missing. The memory is brand new. Could the memory be faulty and I need to return it? Do I need to do something with the BIOS settings?

Please tell me if you need some system settings or information needed.

Here is my system specs:

I do not know if I have copatible memory for the motherboard. Does the informaiton I have given you here give you all the info regarding specs for the motherboard?

This is my memory situation

Here is what CPU-Z says about my memory

Here is the memory I bought.

What do you think?

Problem
Upgrading RAM from 16GB to 32GB. System boots with old memory, power cycles with new memory installed.

System
Processor - Intel i5-4690K
Memory - 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 (Dual channel, 1867 MHz)
Motherboard - Z87M Gaming (MS-7866)

Firmware updated to the latest version.

New memory
A-Tech 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

Let me know if I got any detail wrong.

Try to boot the system with only the new memory installed in the same slots as the old memory.

I have it working. The memory I got works.

It is actually a shock.

There were so many difficulties that I expected more difficulties,

But the BIOS recognized the memory.

The only hick-up that worried me was that when windows started, there was a statement that it was "Restarting" with that rolling icon -- you know what I am talking about, I think, That was there for hours. I was worried about doing anything but finally I had the courage to shut the computer down and restart it. And now, here I am. I mean, the fact that I am online posting this means I am back to life again.

Attachments

• new_memory.PNG
    new_memory.PNG
    43.6 KB · Views: 36
Back