I am looking for a netbook

hatter

Skilled
I, who hated netbooks, believe that after AMD's Fusion they have some value. Well, I don't really need a netbook but a cheap and portable computing device with full-size keyboard. That can very well be a light and portable laptop.

My budget rules out Macbook Air or even MacBook (saving monies for full, fat desktop upgrade in the coming months.)

Here is what I need:

1- Portability. The device will be in my backpack, almost 24 x 7. This means anything above 13.3" and I am not interested.

2- As good screen as I can get. Matte if it is available within the budget.

3- As good as build quality as possible.

4- It should be able to handle web browsing, youTube, office work

5- As good as battery life as possible.

My budget is Rs 25K But it's flexible. so don't let it deter you.

Suggest...

DarkAngel said:

I have set my eyes on DM1Z but want to know if there are any other options out there.

@Rohit3192: Thanks for the offer but I am not interested in a used device.

Checkout sony yb series netbook... Its listed on flipkart. And easily available in most places especially in croma...

I have Sony YB series.. actually, my brother has it now :( .. Its awesome, built quality is legendary. The green color stands out the most.. but it comes with Windows 7 Starter whereas HP DM1Z comes with Home Basic.. so now its up to you..

I have got 1215T, decent configuration and priced at sub 20k..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

1- Portability. The device will be in my backpack, almost 24 x 7. This means anything above 13.3" and I am not interested.

:( the display is glossy

Very good build quality, I love it..

Can handle much more, have got HDMI port as well, is 1080p capable

Can't comment on this, have to check

Sub 20k

I wanted exactly the same 1 month back, and bought Dell Vostro 14" (Vostro 1014 Laptop Details | Dell) for ~26k from ashirwad computers (bangalore).

Basically I wanted a powerful netbook, which is small, decent battery life, and can run Apache with php and mySql.. I do all my development stuff on desktop, but wanted a laptop to show stuff to clients and as a backup for the desktop (in case the desktop stops working for few days).. I generally work on Drupal, blackberry and android development.. and frequently use eclipse and netbenas.

The Vostro is having all the features! Its loaded with Ubuntu (yes, I am a Linux person). Its a decent laptop. small.. Full keyboard and gives a battery backup of around 5 hours (only code editing) and browsing. Will upgrade the battery if rqud later. I dont like watching movies and stuff in my lappy. NOTE: its speaker is really bad..

I use it very less. Only when I am traveling and visiting clients and sometimes in college :) This is 4th Dell laptop I am buying and really happy with the products and services. I have very bad experience with HP :(

It fulfills my need properly and backed by Dell ass.

The above mentioned HP DM1Z sounds excellent BUT the processor is so new! I mean are u ready to take that risk?? When AMD was launched in India, it had a huge heating problem (though its still there with AMD laptop processors :( )

thx

^^ I believe E350 is fine. Vostro is too heavy and in any case I don't need too much horsepower.

Asus Eee PC 1215B looks good but I don't want a C50. Too low-powered for my taste.

Sony YB series is looking good. @hellnight_nmd: Can you please tell what is the battery size? How many cells

hatter said:
I, who hated netbooks, believe that after AMD's Fusion they have some value. Well, I don't really need a netbook but a cheap and portable computing device with full-size keyboard. That can very well be a light and portable laptop.

My budget rules out Macbook Air or even MacBook (saving monies for full, fat desktop upgrade in the coming months.)

Here is what I need:

Suggest...
Hey man. Have you considered Dell Mini Inspiron Mini 10 Netbook Details | Dell India

These are the specs :

Intel® Atom™ N455 Single Core, 1.66GHz, 512K L2 Cache

Genuine Windows® 7 Starter 32-Bit

Up to 2GB3(1x2GB), DDR3 1333MHz Memory

Intel® NM10 Express

Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150

25.7cm (10.1 inch) WSVGA TrueLifeâ„¢ (1024 x 600)

Main Speakers (quantity) : 1 x 2.0Watt

Integrated Microphone

250GB3 5400RPM Hard Drive

0.3 MP Integrated Webcam

Ports

USB 2.0 (3) with one USB Powershare to support sleep and charge

Integrated 10/100 LAN (RJ45)

15-pin VGA video connector

Audio jacks (1-line out, 1 mic-in)

7-in-1 Media Card Reader

AC adapter connector

HDMI

This is for around Rs 23000/-

My friend has one of these. If you want I can go ahead ask him about the battery back up and all.

His usage is very hardcore, like there is no tomorrow.

I have used it a couple of times and gives a fuller computing experience.

Back