I Am Alive - Discussion Thread

Very very interesting gameplay mechanics. Being an XBLA game, I'm worried about it's frame rate stability, as it seemed with Alan Wake's American Nightmare. If it's a good looking XBLA games, then be assured that something has to be sacrificed.

Completed the game a few minutes back and it was fantastic. Looks like the XBLA House Party titles are kickin' the MS line-up, in style. This game could have developed a much deeper storyline, in contrast to what it provided. But I was still able to get a good 5 hours content from it's main quest, side quests could have roped in an additional 2-3 hours. So that's not bad at all. The visual art design was amazing for a post-apocalyptic world. Gameplay was another strong suit of this game. If you really want to know what this game is really about and the best way to sum it up; watch the Gamespot review. To me, this is definitely a winner. I have a hunch that Ubisoft might port this title to PC at a later point. Don't miss it.

Finished the demo.Visuals are good in cutscenes but not much appealing in gameplay.This is a different kind of game.If you have lots of time and has nothing much to do then you can pick this one up.The price good too.

Better late than never Ubisoft. Good to see all the PC love this year. Looks like Dark Souls petition really gave the other developers a good heads up of this platforms existent. :p

Now that it's out, anyone tried it yet? Not sure of the PC issues, but this game is a hidden gem. Don't miss it!

Allwyn how lengthy is the game? I think I'll start this once I am done with T:FoC.

PS: Don't get to see you around/your posts in the forums nowadays. Hope everything is alright!

EDIT: 5 hours, got it.

Allwyn how lengthy is the game? I think I'll start this once I am done with T:FoC.

PS: Don't get to see you around/your posts in the forums nowadays. Hope everything is alright!

EDIT: 5 hours, got it.

It's close to 6 hours, depending on how much you explore, die and complete side activities. I think the PC version has some issues with the 360 controller right analog stick (?) not working properly. Do check if there is a workaround for it.

Completed the title yesterday and it was a brilliant ride overall. Shame on IGN and the editor who reviewed the title back in April rewarding it a lowly score of 4.5! Looks like the site has gone to the dogs off lately with the kind of scores that have been shelled out for some of the titles in the recent past.

IAL.jpg

Anyways, back to the point - the game was really good. Lasted roughly 5 hours with an 87% overall completion in the normal mode, as evident from the screenshot above. Tried rescuing as many survivors as possible but somehow missed a few others because I couldn't find some resources. Then there was this fat dude who went on consuming some critical resources my player had (almost 6~7 of them overall that includes fruit cocktails, first aid packs, painkillers, human meat and so forth!). I reloaded the last checkpoint and decided to leave this guy for good! :|

The noir-esque grainy visuals coupled with that slight tinge of the B&W/sepia tone at times really gave the game that post-apocalyptic touch. But there was one gripe as always with all the Ubi titles out there – black bars at the top and bottom! I wonder if the devs. realise that there are displays in the market with a 16:10 aspect ratio. Or that explains how lazy they are? The level designs were really commendable - huge pits amidst the roads, broken sewer systems, hotels and lobbys, ship wreck, dust ridden towns, abandoned buildings and skyscrapers etc. There weren't many soundtracks barring the ones that would play when the player's stamina levels would dip or when engaging the enemy AI. But those were really well done and would give you that boost of adrenaline rush through your blood stream when you are half way climbing a pipe and your stamina levels are stooping low real quick or when you walk into an ambush with a bunch of goons equipped with a pistol or machete have surrounded you and you are left with just 2 bullets in your pistol! The developers seem to have thought of a panic situation really well. Gameplay wise, the survival aspects of the game were so well done. The intimidation mechanics for instance – the pistol is empty and the hostile NPC who wields a machete is scared when you point the empty gun towards him. He gives up! But not all of them do especially those who attack in groups. Or you can push an enemy into a pit or a fire.

Scaling tall buildings and broken skyscrapers (may look a bit unrealistic at times; scaling a 60 storeyed tower with a couple of pitons, soda cans and water bottles, seriously?!) but yeah the situation itself is that bad that it prompts the player to take up hazardous risks to survive. Combat was minimal barring a few machete executions and pistol shots. The voice acting was good especially the little girl who lent her voice for Mei - she did it so well. Character designs sucked OTOH and I could notice the AI goons and NPCs had similar faces. Although I may be nitpicking here! Ammo was really scarce and the player is forced to think twice before firing that last bullet - the next thing you know, you are already dead because you shot the guy with the machete when the bullet should have hit the guy holding the pistol. Hell that's exactly the way I'd imagine it to be (heh and here I thought ammo was scarce in Metro 2033!)

Oh and don't miss out on Ubi's easter egg inside one of the rooms of the protagonist's apartment:
Mary's Rayman raving rabbid plush toy! :p

All in all a very good title and this must probably be the way Naughty Dog's next BIG title - The Last of Us is headed plus the zombies and perhaps more. Good job Ubi! And fcuk you IGN!

PS: The game has a bug with the controller as mentioned before. The right analog stick (camera control) doesn’t respond.

IGN has lost all credibility for me when they gave Diablo III a 9, and every COD title 11+. Every AAA title is either an 8.5 or 9. And that class A a'hole Colin Moriarty with his Mass Effect "entitled" commentary, I cut short my IGN views a lot after that. Don't even bother for their reviews now-a-days, Gametrailers, VG247, GameInformer do a much better job.

Thanks for this, looks like I might try it after all, maybe pick it up on a Steam sale.

Back