HTC wildfire or Samsung galaxy3

ajincoep

Disciple
Hi Guys,
Pls help me in choosing between two.

ANyone had a hands-on on both.

I had a handson on Galaxy3 but the display looked dull.
What about wildfire, Reviews says, display is more pixelated than Galaxy3.

Yup Wildfire has even lesser resolution than the Galaxy3. Galaxy 3 has WQVGA 240*400 resolution whereas the Wildfire has just basic QVGA(240*320). Even phones that costs ~3.5k has QVGA resoltion these days.:p

If u are not hell bent on Android then go for the Samsung Wave ~ 17k. Its got an excellent screen and makes a great multimedia phone.

^ +1. You have some fantastic options in that range. If you can live with outdated Symbian then Nokia E72 is not all bad either. Unfortunately when it comes to Android, there isn't much in the 16k - 24k range, and you would have to look upwards of 23k for milestone, legend etc. and I suppose we can assume that is not a budget you are looking at?

I too wanted to buy an android phone my first option was htc wildfire since the price seemed reasonable. But the display I must say is crap for a 15k phone. Nokia 5230, 5233 which is like half the price has higher resolution. Now I have decided to wait for windows 7 phone or if I really want android then I might end up buying htc desire. Surely if htc had swapped the display for an AMOLED or super LCD display and charged 2k extra I wouldn't have had second thoughts about buying widlfire. Well as far as samsung wave goes I played with it for half an hour. It is a damn good phone. If the bada os evolves something like android then it is a great phone.

^ I think that all the basic apps are already in place. Android is still going to take some more time to get completely refined. I found BADA OS UI to be much smoother than the Android OS on my Spica. Phones like Galaxy S and Desire may have a smoother UI but you have to remember that this is a 17k phone. No other comes even close in this price range. :)

PS: 1Ghz proccy, 720p recording and playback (even avis and mkvs), huge phonebook( I've added 3k contacts myself on my boss's phone :p), 800x480 resolution, SuperAMOLED screen(not only a marketing gimmick, it really is amazingly clear), wi-fi tethering is too good for just 17k. :D

Samsung Galaxy 3/Wildfire/SE X10 Mini are not at all worth getting for the price to sell for. If you want an android phone, stick to ones that have 480 x 320 or 800 x 480 resolutions. HTC Legend and Moto Milestone are the bare min you should look at. If you want a phone around 14k~17k, then take a look at Samsung Wave for sure. Much better than any of the Android phones that sell in that price range. The funny thing is that Wave has hardware that's superior to many of the high end offerings of all platforms and none of the phone manufacturers have an phone with half decent hardware in this price range despite using a free to license and open platform like Android.

Lord Nemesis said:
Samsung Galaxy 3/Wildfire/SE X10 Mini are not at all worth getting for the price to sell for. If you want an android phone, stick to ones that have 480 x 320 or 800 x 480 resolutions. HTC Legend and Moto Milestone are the bare min you should look at. If you want a phone around 14k~17k, then take a look at Samsung Wave for sure. Much better than any of the Android phones that sell in that price range. The funny thing is that Wave has hardware that's superior to many of the high end offerings of all platforms and none of the phone manufacturers have an phone with half decent hardware in this price range despite using a free to license and open platform like Android.
I think Samsung has priced it like this to promote their BADA OS big time. Thats the reason they have axed Spica with slightly better proccy and resolution and replaced it with Galaxy as Spica was absolute VFM.

Also they do not have a decent alternative in their own staple and are very careful no other sub 20k phone is better than the Wave. Its the best phone in terms of H/W after the Galaxy S and the HTC Desire in the Indian market IINM.

^ you are correct

the price is subsidized, kind of, as this is rather a launch of Bada OS with that phone.

Devs are working on Android firmware for wave and i'm gonna jump to it if that happens.

as for Galaxy 3, it is not at all worth the price due to crappy screen aspects.

played with the fone for a while today and not at all impressed.

complete views posted in i5801 thread.

DarkAngel said:
I think Samsung has priced it like this to promote their BADA OS big time. Thats the reason they have axed Spica with slightly better proccy and resolution and replaced it with Galaxy as Spica was absolute VFM.

Also they do not have a decent alternative in their own staple and are very careful no other sub 20k phone is better than the Wave. Its the best phone in terms of H/W after the Galaxy S and the HTC Desire in the Indian market IINM.
madnav said:
^ you are correct

the price is subsidized, kind of, as this is rather a launch of Bada OS with that phone.

Its pretty obvious that Samsung is promoting Wave with a better price point, I have stated the same thing in a couple of other threads previously, but the thing is that hardware parts and assembly costs less for $200 for any of these phones. So why is there still that much of a difference. I can understand there being a 4~5k difference and a lack of a couple of features in Galaxy S to make Wave attractive, but Wave has same or better/more hardware in every way and still costs 10~11k less than Galaxy S. For that matter why doesn't any other manufacturer have anything anywhere close? A high end android offering should be possible at the 20~21k mark if they choose to. The only explanation is that these manufacturers are choosing to charge a premium for android phones just like Apple does for iPhone. The cost benefits for the free to license OS is not being passed on to the customers. Phones based on a licensed OS like Windows Mobile cost the same or less than ones based on Android.

Lord Nemesis said:
Its pretty obvious that Samsung is promoting Wave with a better price point, I have stated the same thing in a couple of other threads previously, but the thing is that hardware parts and assembly costs less for $200 for any of these phones. So why is there still that much of a difference. I can understand there being a 4~5k difference and a lack of a couple of features in Galaxy S to make Wave attractive, but Wave has same or better/more hardware in every way and still costs 10~11k less than Galaxy S. For that matter why doesn't any other manufacturer have anything anywhere close? A high end android offering should be possible at the 20~21k mark if they choose to. The only explanation is that these manufacturers are choosing to charge a premium for android phones just like Apple does for iPhone. The cost benefits for the free to license OS is not being passed on to the customers. Phones based on a licensed OS like Windows Mobile cost the same or less than ones based on Android.
If all the companies have such a margin then why wouldn't even one pass it on to customers to win the volumes battle and put pressure on others?

There are now 4 major mobiles manufacturers who churn out Android phones namely: HTC, Samsung, SE, Motorola.

DarkAngel said:
If all the companies have such a margin then why wouldn't even one pass it on to customers to win the volumes battle and put pressure on others?

There are now 4 major mobiles manufacturers who churn out Android phones namely: HTC, Samsung, SE, Motorola.
may be they are fearful for " if low price introduced , no 1 is going to jump for high price section " & creating unofficial cartel for looting customers

I agree with Lord Nemesis's point

Lord Nemesis said:
They are surely gonna milk the premium segment cow as far as they can. I'm not certain but isn't that what helps them investing in RnD ?

a silicon wafer of a cpu's size may cost intel $50 each if considering with respect to total wafer cost, but does the price difference reflect linearly in proportion to price difference?

hey all strive for better vfm, but only as long as it is better than their competitors. Some of their RnD may be going down the drain but they can recover that from pricing the failed devices inclusive of their RnD expenses.. It always is recovered from the one that is successful.

Im not implying Galaxy S is successful, but it offers feature in its price range to be competitive enough. Whether it is worth its price or not is all relative to how you calculate pricing...

BTW i also tried Galaxy S today. Very smooth, screen is superb. but did not feel like a device worth 27-30k due to build quality of back cover.

Lord Nemesis said:
Its pretty obvious that Samsung is promoting Wave with a better price point, I have stated the same thing in a couple of other threads previously, but the thing is that hardware parts and assembly costs less for $200 for any of these phones. So why is there still that much of a difference. I can understand there being a 4~5k difference and a lack of a couple of features in Galaxy S to make Wave attractive, but Wave has same or better/more hardware in every way and still costs 10~11k less than Galaxy S.
You forgot that Wave has a 3.3" screen whereas Galaxy S has a 4" screen. I think that demands a bit of a premium.

if you want to use your phone for great gaming enviroment only then buy BADA .
Wildfire is 3.2 inch but with resolution of 2.5 inch , that kind of resolution in not supported by many Android apps , so 4get wildfire alltogether
get an samsung i7500 instead

rahul21 said:
if you want to use your phone for great gaming enviroment only then buy BADA .

Wildfire is 3.2 inch but with resolution of 2.5 inch , that kind of resolution in not supported by many Android apps , so 4get wildfire alltogether

get an samsung i7500 instead
Sadly the i7500 and i5700 are EOL now. Out of stock and near impossible to find one in India.

I'm in the same dilemma oh what to get for around 15K. I need to get a phone for my wife and I belong to a more conservative club when it comes to spending on mobiles. There's no way that I'm going to spend 20K+ on a phone simply because there is a possibility of a phone falling down and going kaput or getting stolen and also, it's primary function is to make and receive calls.

The wave....as good as it is, there are a couple of things that run through my mind.

1) It's Samsung. Now matter which way you try to see it, Samsung is not Sony or some premium brand....meaning: I don't want to drop a lot of cash on a Samsung product. That's not to say that their current product is not good. I agree that the Wave is one of the better products out there but no one in my family or friends' circle would.

2) I fear that Bada might go down the toilet in the future. You cannot have both Android and Bada co-existing unless they're compatible with each other. One of them will have to give way. I wonder how I'll feel after a year when Samsung itself stops Bada development and everyone's getting new features on their shiny new Android OS.

17K is still too much for me to spend on a Samsung product no matter what hardware they put in there. In six months, all phones will have equivalent hardware. I might consider it though the price was still lower.

From a functionality perspective, a lot of folks have voted Sense UI as the best thing over Android. I like the traditional curvy PDA styling of most HTC devices and they also functionally appeal to me. However, the Wildfire seems more like a one off from their stable and there's nothing appealing about it at that price-point. the screen is quite poor the camera is supposedly not good. It's already a compromised mid-range product at 16K.

Back