HTC HD2 vs IPHONE 3GS

mjumrani

Skilled
hey guys.
i need to buy a phone for my dad. since im looking for finger touch phones instead of stylus, i need to decide between HTC HD2 and apple iphone 3gs but i cant decide. both are totally different platform. i personally own a 3gs n love it but wht shld i get him???
please give me ur inputs n suggestions...
TIA :)

In My Opinion, The 3GS, I have been using the iPhone since 3 years(2g and Now 3GS). The phone is easier to use and obviously much better in terms apps etc.

Both are going to be outdated soon. Why go for old hardware?

If you still want to go in one of those, go for iPhone 3GS. HD2 is crippled by WinMo. Otherwise hardware wise HD2 is the clear winner.

HD2 hardware is good enough to make even WinMo look good to an extent.

iPhone is boring to be honest. I got tired of my iPod very quickly.

HD2 can keep you busy thanks to XDA community support. But personally I would skip both of them and either pick Nexus or upcoming Desire (HTC's own version of Nexus).

Android and Nexus are both homozygously under rated.

but if it has to be between these two, I would take HD2, but make sure you are able to see HD2 in person. Its huge and not meant for everyone. Specially for those who like to carry phones in shirt pocket.

Sorry to be hacking your thread mjumrani! But since we both are on the same boat, maybe this helps you also. :)

I too was inclined to get the Nexus One but am now sceptical about it. The thing is that I have a N97 which the wife is now eyeing. So she gave me an offer I could not resist. She is going to buy me a new phone (30-35k) and she wants to pocket my N97.

I was initially inclined towards the 3GS but I hate itunes. Agreed that there are other alternatives for syncing and all but still, I don't want to be restricted by Apple software. Also, since I will be getting the locked version, the thought of having to jailbreak everytime was not very comfortable!

Then I thought I will get the Nexus One. Did some reading and realised that the display is fragile and that it has some issues with the battery. So became sceptical.

Then came across the HD2. Fell in love with it. I have used Windows Mobile before and used to love it then. Suited me very well. Also, the people at xda are capable of doing anything with a WM phone. Also, there is news that HTC will indeed come up with a Windows Phone 7 rom for it. Only issue is that people are saying that its a little too late to get the HD2 now that MS has officially launched the Windows Phone 7 OS.

So I am now more confused than ever.

Well, as this phone will be for your DAD so IMO get him an iPhone coz my dad finds it easy to use over WM..

if your DAD finds it easy too then get him HD2.

I do prefer HD2 over iPhone coz it's very easy to customize, not to forget the huge touch screen with SNAPDRAGON.. :)

I would like you to see this first ... YouTube - htc hd2 vs omnia hd vs iphone.

I would prefer WM with AMOLED screen over any other phone.

So I have selected these .. Samsung Omnia II i8000, Toshiba K01 and HTC Touch Diamond 3

Only Samsung one is available as of now and HTC one is WM7 phone.

Of course some would prefer 4.3 inch screen over 3.7 inch but personally when I used both HD2 and Samsung i8000, screen diff is of only 1 cm in height and width ... which doesn't make much diff for me.

And over your question ... best way to decide is ask your father ... I saw today Nexus One for sale in market thread ... you should ask your father which one he would prefer ... Certainly you don't want your father to complaint back after some days of use that other one would have been better.

Dude there are two types of iPhone one is that apple offers and other is that apple offers to but we jailbreak it...

iPhone is an ok phone..

Jailbroken iPhone is the best phone

The modding possibilites are endless..

and the app list goes from 160000 to more than 200000 due to cydia store..

iPhone is the most user friendly OS till date I am right now on iPhone 3g will upgrade to 4g this year..

I would say definately get him an iPhone and jailbreak it..

and jailbreaking is 2-3 mins task.. make sure the 3gs you are going to buy is not firmware 3.1.3..

i have used HD2 it is not a mobile (portable) phone hard to fit in pocket lol... it is a good phone but WM sucks infront of iPhone OS..

Maybe I can help.

It's all about target audience.

I would hands down recommend the HD2 if you were going to be the user. Why? Every member of TE has at the very least a mild tendency to "Tweak around". Windows Mobile is the best for that. Honest! XDA and WinMo together with some great work from HTC can stimulate your tweaker genes like they were on roids.

On the other hand, it's not the best OS / combination if the user of the phone is NOT going to be tweaking around. While HTC's Sense really does a fantastic job of making it highly usable for "regular folks" (not to mention with some flair and panache), there really is no point in getting it if the user wants a consistent user experience right out of the box. That is something that you won't get with Windows Mobile. WinMo always needs heavy customization.

Coming back to your dilemma. The phone is for your dad. I'm sure he's well past the tweaking phase in his life. The iPhone would honestly be the best device for him.

BadaOS is crap. Go with iPhone 3GS atleast when Apple releases a new software update it will work, HD2 is still not officially supported for WP7 and Microsoft is remaining silent so don't go with that and WinMo 6.5 is downright crap when you compare it to iPhone. Look at the amount of apps

WP7 will not be officially available for the HD2, but does that really matter for a Windows Phone user? XDA will probably have it out for the HD2 before MS releases it to the public.

As far as apps are concerned, it's common knowledge that Windows Mobile has more applications available for it compared to any other platform including the iPhone. You might want to check your facts before posting on the forum.

i think ill go for iphone 3gs only. hd2 is gd n all tht but its just bloody plain black....

n should i wait till june for iphone 4g n see what the scene is or get 3gs n forget abt it?

Satan said:
XDA will probably have it out for the HD2 before MS releases it to the public.

Probably.But with WM7 being a complete rewrite from ground up, not just a visual enhancement like 6.5 and its(WM7) tight hardware integration, I wouldnt be too sure. Really 6.5 is waste on that device. They shouldve loaded it with Android to create a killer device.

manu1991 said:
Probably.But with WM7 being a complete rewrite from ground up, not just a visual enhancement like 6.5 and its(WM7) tight hardware integration, I wouldnt be too sure. Really 6.5 is waste on that device. They shouldve loaded it with Android to create a killer device.

While MS might be trying to be more stringent with hardware standards and OS implementation, it really isn't very far off from existing hardware. I mean the HD2 is exactly the same (spec wise) as the LG & Samsung devices that were previewed at MWC and MIX, with the only difference being 5 buttons on the HD2 vs. 3 on the WM7 devices.

XDA brought Ubuntu, Windows 98 and even Android to WM devices. WM7 IMO, won't be much of a challenge.

Back