HTC Desire lost :(

Parv

Adept
My brother lost his HTC desire on Saturday night in Gurgaon local market :(

An FIR is filed today but the SIM is not yet blocked.

Can it be traced now or it's gone :(

IMEI no. is available on the box/bill.

IMEI no. can be used by the network provider to impose a sort of “ban†on the stolen cell phone,i.e, debarring it from accessing any network.
With this IMEI no. your phone can be traced. As u have filed an Fir. If your brother's lucky it will be trace within a month. I lost my Nokia N-gage way back in 2006 it was traced within a month in Jalandhar. If the guy who has your cell changes the IMEI no. then your brother can say bye-bye to the phone. Now a days people mostly go to the local mobile repair shops to change the IMEI. I dont know how but maybe using something from the same model of any broken mobile that is present in their shop.Not sure.

As far as i know with the help of service provider we can recover the mobile.

How i recovered was that i got a slip from the police which my father took it to Nokia's center,they traced the mobile and gave us a printout of the details which included user's no., calls he made etc etc.

Then this Printout we handed it over to the police station and they found him the phone was given back to me. :)

That is the reason i always prefer Nokia. Best customer Service.<--for me it was as i got my phone back.

Well tell him to do as my father did there maybe a chance he might get his phone back but IMO its like 5-10%.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also the Nokia people did not traced the no. right away it took them maybe 2-3 weeks. But in the end i did got my Cell back. :D

What if the mobile is switched off or the SIM is changed :S

Also Nokia was not service provider in you case, how did they trace it? Which service provider you were using?

Sorry to hear that mate, though there are lots of theoretical solution, but IMHO practically getting it back is quite next to impossible :(

And thats why i use Wave Secure on all my phones :) Buddy.. if you're getting such an expensive phone , invest a bit in its security as well. Anyways.. do as the others said. Theoretically you should get it back , practically the chances are pretty low.

Sorry i wanted to write "right now you can use the help of service provider"...now a days the service provider offer a 5 day tracking service. they put a lock on the phone in which their connection's sim was present.anyone who changes the SIM within 5 days gets caught. After that they dont help. My friend used this service to get his mobile back, His connection was Docomo, I did'nt ask him whether he got it back or not but he told me about this. Whatever connection your brother was using tell him to go to its center and ask them to do this.

What if the mobile is switched off or the SIM is changed

^Dude its quite obvious the guy will change the sim.:facepalm: IMEI Tracking has nothing to do with it. Also the phone can only be tracked if that guy uses another SIM in it irrespective of whatever connection he use. But if he'll use the phone to listen songs and watch videos(Through mmc) then i am sorry you're brother is not getting the phone back. :p

My sister lost the phone today in office. Now, I know chances of getting it back are next to nil. But, should she be filling an FIR to be on safer side?

Back