Laptops HP laptops overheating.

eptheta

Disciple
In another thread, Amax suggested that I buy an HP DV6-6121TX laptop, but I was concerned about heating issues. Google gives me over 200k hits for overheating of HP laptops. Some of the more descriptive ones say:
..the area around the cooling fan is almost always hot enough to hurt to the touch. Even light web surfing causes this laptop to become this hot.
----------------------------------------------------
I have the exact same problem as you! i.e. it reaches extremely high temps (95+) not to mention it shuts down almost immediately if it reaches temps higher than that.
this this overheats and shuts down about 3 times a day!

It seems to me that everyone has these problems and its more of a design defect than a method-of-using problem.

What are your opinions on this ? Does anyone here own HP laptops(specifically the DV6 series, or any HP ones for the sake of discussion)?

Please do share your views.

I own a HP DM1z and it never heats up. Update the bios to get rid of the overheating problem.

Well, any laptop can overheat after a period of usage, not just limited to HP alone.

hp laptop overheating - Google Search - About 287,000 results

dell laptop overheating - Google Search - About 1,470,000 results

macbook overheating - Google Search - About 1,120,000 results

thinkpad overheating - Google Search - About 886,000 results

toshiba laptops + overheating - Google Search - About 2,260,000 results

acer laptops + overheating - Google Search - About 2,000,000 results

If this is any consolation for you, HP laptops seem to throw the least results for overheating going by the search. :)

On a serious note, there are several causes for overheating. It could be a hardware fault (the fan is defective, the thermal paste dried up) or a software fault (some utility running in the background causing overheating) or some external factors such as insufficient ventilation, dust and lint clogging the vents and forming a nice layer of cake blocking it which results in the hot air not being expelled and overheating. As a result, the laptop might BSOD or shuts down. This however happens over a period of time and is bound to affect any laptop and not just an HP laptop.

Laptops require periodic maintenance, and if done wisely, it shouldn't cause issues.

i am using hp mini 210 1084tu, I have no complains...
it is giving me good services, infect Lil-bit more. by the time i finish off my morning mails and some surfing on it my bread-toast gets ready, just don't forget to apply little more butter before keeping it under the base, nothing special it just makes your toast more crispy.

And you know what i have taken it to HP service center two times, they have replaced the battery with new one, and told me (don't worry saar... we wont charge you for the "extra" services its giving you.)

you have asked in your post "Pls share your views" so i shared mine ... :|

Don't ever buy the DV6 for gaming, do not run it in High Performance (Power mode), Do not run Game Booster, do invest in a cooling pad.
DV6 - 2005ax lasted me 15 months (after which there was a weird clicking noise from the CPU, Laptop would shut down due to overheating). It was a desktop replacement, and obv less than 1 hour of backup.

BIG EDIT: Performance wise this was a huge jump over studio 1555, ATI 4650 (1 GB) was enough to run the latest games at Medium settings with good frame rates. Crysis/ HP 2011 were exceptions.
Games played - almost all new releases. Connected via HDMI.

I had a Dell Studio 1555 before that and though the build quality, screen quality were not comparable to the HP, there were no battery or heat issues, ever.

That being said I do not know whether cooling issues have been fixed on the new series. The one you have chosen is a sandy bridge and should run at a cooler temperature. I'd suggest checking notebookcheck/review forums for more concrete suggestions.

Gannu, thanks for the info, but several users here on Tech Enclave are hesitant about recommending HP laptops (but those search results are *slightly* encouraging:))

waatavr, thanks for your views. In fact, these type of posts are exactly what I was looking for. I usually get only the 'Don't buy HP!' replies, so at least this way I get both sides of the story.

quixand said:
Don't ever buy the DV6 for gaming, do not run it in High Performance (Power mode), Do not run Game Booster, do invest in a cooling pad.
DV6 - 2005ax lasted me 15 months (after which there was a weird clicking noise from the CPU, Laptop would shut down due to overheating).
What mixed reviews. I was planning to buy the DV6 PRIMARILY for gaming. Is it that bad ? Maybe I should go to Lamington road, install a game and play on it for 1/2 an hour and see how hot it gets before buying. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how willing the sales people will be to allow me to use it...

I guess I will have to do a bit more research. If anyone of you guys have/know someone with the newer HP DV6 6121, it would be cool if I could get in touch with them and ask them directly about this issue.

Other views on HP laptops reliability are welcome too.
Thanks.

Any review on the latest DV6 with Sandy Bridge processors... Older DV6 were indeed notorious for heating for inherent design flaw which restricted air flow. I am yet to read a proper review for the latest DV6 to get an idea on this issue...

i own a 2 yr old dv6000 series laptop.

it heats up within 15 minutes of use, even if i just surf the web.

if i turn on high performance mode and start gaming, temps touch 60+ for the hdd and 70+ for the cpu. the whole underside becomes untouchable due to heat.

i had to buy a few smps fans and rig them together to cool my laptop. a laptop cooler is a must for this laptop

All laptops heat. I think its a global population-reduction conspiracy to combat natural devastation, global warming and even sub-prime mortgage crises.

My Dell Studio 1558 (2y.o.) heats like a barbecue if kept on a flat surface (eg. table), but all's well when it is slightly elevated.

What mixed reviews. I was planning to buy the DV6 PRIMARILY for gaming. Is it that bad ? Maybe I should go to Lamington road, install a game and play on it for 1/2 an hour and see how hot it gets before buying. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how willing the sales people will be to allow me to use it...

That is a good idea, though I doubt it would serve your purpose to check long term reliability.

I'd suggest a desktop over laptop for gaming anyday. Buy laptop iff mobility is a huge/daily issue.

And again, I've posted about my Laptops which I bought 15-18 months ago, Sandy Bridge Procs should run cooler if aided by good cooling designs.

Here for your reading - good things :)
Initial impressions - HP DV6-6017tx - Digit Technology Discussion Forum

There are a few mentions of your model, too.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

GunsNRoses said:
All laptops heat. I think its a global population-reduction conspiracy to combat natural devastation, global warming and even sub-prime mortgage crises.

My Dell Studio 1558 (2y.o.) heats like a barbecue if kept on a flat surface (eg. table), but all's well when it is slightly elevated.

Yes we do know that, the problem begins when even laptop cooling pads do not do the trick.

I'm buying the DV6 for gaming too. OP, don't worry about the overheating. HP Laptops have been notorious for overheating issues but it seems like they've hit the nail on the head with the 2nd Gen DV6s with Sandy Bridge processors.

Also, buy a Belkins cooling pad (Rs1k) if you really need to.

Check this out:

Dell XPS15 (i7+540M) vs HP DV6 (i7+6770M)

(I asked this question)

and this is the owners lounge

*HP dv6t, dv7t Select Edition / Quad Edition (6XXX series) Owners Lounge*

No one has reported any serious heating issue. No doubt the laptop will get heated if you push it's performance but it's the same with any laptop. You should by a Desktop if you need something extremely cool.

Back