How to wifi my house?

baccilus

Skilled
Oct 21, 2007
Chandigarh
I have a Desktop and a laptop. Laptop already has wifi( b/g/n). I will be connecting my Desktop directly with the router through wire.

I am on Dataone connection so bandwidth of the router shouldn't be a big issue. However, I will be keeping the router on the first floor( along with my PC) and I expect a decent signal on the ground floor.

Apart from that my house isn't too big and there will never be more than one or max two walls between the router and the laptop.

Can I get a suitable router in the 1500-1600 range? Which one do you suggest?

BTW, will I have to invest in anything other than the router to do this thing?

baccilus

Skilled
Oct 21, 2007
Chandigarh
I am still waiting for suggestions here guys. Please help out here guys.

Let me know if you all think that my budget is too less. I read about the Lynksys WRT54G router but on on-line shops it is available for around 2400 ruppes. Is it available for any less any where? I am going to nehru place soon so I really need to know. What are the other options that I have?

Ra.hul

Disciple
Nov 6, 2006
Vapi
dude u instal the router at ground or top floor thats up to u after that u will need to install wifi reapeter that will extend your wireless range for e.g if u install router at top floor install reapeter at down stairs that will cover ure ground floor. for more details u can ask me.

Rahul++

SuperUser
Skilled
Aug 27, 2007
Pune
www.wrapcode.com
hmm, as you said, router will be on first floor. I think signals should come @ ground floor. Because, when I used my Huewai router (came with Dataone connection), my router was on first floor and I could get range on ground floor.. Distance would be about ~35 feet and 2-3 walls. Still I managed to get enough signals for youtube streaming, and surfing

You can use Parabolic antenna to extend the range little bit more. off course buffalo routers are very good and should come in 1.5-1.8k

baccilus

Skilled
Oct 21, 2007
Chandigarh
Will I have to install a repeater even if my laptop will always be within 15-20m from the router. The ground floor will be just around 15-20 feet from the router. What I am concerned about is that will it be possible to wifi my house with just the 1500-1600 rupees that I spend on the router. Will I have to spend on anything else? I just bought an eeePC so I am a bit tight on cash.

And I have often heard that it's pretty tough to set up home wifi. Is that true? Will the instructions given with the router be enough to do this on my own?

djmykey

Skilled
Mar 16, 2005
I have a Pronet 1k wala Wi-Fi router. I have a pretty moderate size house. My router is in my room (the messiest of all) and I get ranges all over except some rooms where I would'nt go to browse anyway :bleh: Shop owners ask you what kinda house you have; the moment u say 2 BHK they try to sell you a 2-3.5k router. Good luck !!

Naga

Skilled
Apr 5, 2005
baccilus said:
Will I have to install a repeater even if my laptop will always be within 15-20m from the router. The ground floor will be just around 15-20 feet from the router. What I am concerned about is that will it be possible to wifi my house with just the 1500-1600 rupees that I spend on the router. Will I have to spend on anything else? I just bought an eeePC so I am a bit tight on cash.

And I have often heard that it's pretty tough to set up home wifi. Is that true? Will the instructions given with the router be enough to do this on my own?

There's no way to find out until you try it. Wi-fi is very iffy that way. But on first glance, it does seem u won't need a repeater. When installing the router, try out different locations so u get optimal coverage in ur house.

Vista and XP both have a pretty good network wizard, so a home network should be easy.

The router should also be easy. Just take care of the following points:

1. Use WPA2 for better security and speeds. WEP will slow down your throughput. AES would work out better than TKIP encryption.

2. Change the default password of your router.

3. Try to keep the router away from any electrical interference or metal cabinets.

4. If there's interference from cordless phones or other wireless devices, u might try changing the channels from the usual 5/6 to 1 or 11.

5. Now go and get the router and try it out. Theory is sh*t when it comes to wi-fi setups. No answers to problems u don't have ;)

baccilus

Skilled
Oct 21, 2007
Chandigarh
@Naga: I will get a router from Nehru place when I go to Delhi next week. Any particular shop you know of from where I can get it at fair price in Nehru place?

And most importantly, which router do you recommend?

Ra.hul

Disciple
Nov 6, 2006
Vapi
guys repeater is nothing but a access point but will be using it as in repeater mode it will take signals from the main router and after amplification it will again work as same router as ure main router so no need to install repeater in your laptop or else apart of this you can buy high power client device for your lappy which is of 500mw and will cost u around 2.5k and can be used at many places as normally router come with 100mw tx power or you can buy router with high tx power which is of more than 200mw if u can then no need of repeater of any other thing.

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
buy a router. I'd suggest the linksys WRT54G, just because it has two antennas. you'll need one anyway. if your laptop can work where you need it to, end of story. else try alternate router locations which might give you better range.

As a last resort, get a repeater.

The WRT54G should be able to handle a 2 storey house ( houses in fact :p)

me + three of my friends use them, no issues :)

Naga

Skilled
Apr 5, 2005
rahul2003 said:
guys repeater is nothing but a access point ...

Thanks for the info. Seriously, why are you so hung up on the repeater when it's not even proven conclusively that the range won't be enough for the OP's needs :huh: ??

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
costs ~2.7k. there is another linksys model for 2k, called the WRH54G or somthing. dont buy that ...

baccilus

Skilled
Oct 21, 2007
Chandigarh
That's actually a bit too costly. Can I get something decent for a little less(less than 2K)?. I have a small house. May be something from D-link or Buffalo.

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
you can buy the 2k router, but its a risk. if it doesnt have range, you'll end up buying a repeater/antenna which will cost almost as much.

If you know anyone who has a wi fi router , try it out at your house and see if you get enough range

coolraghav

Skilled
Sep 4, 2006
go for router like with N-Draft technology, things will work sexy !

My netgear WPN824v2 works good with ground floor and second floor range. router is in first floor.