How to trace my lost phone ??

kochukhwa

Disciple
Hi Guys :( ,

I've lost my cell phone Sony Ericsson W705 ( IMEI no. :35947002-448642-7 ) with SIM card : +919957166604 (AIRTEL , ASSAM,INDIA) on 4th December 2011 while playing Badminton between 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.. The Guy who took it , directly removed the battery so when I dial to my no. from my friends' mobile phones ,then it showed "call disconnected" or "call ended".That time I dialed to my no. from about 9p.m. to 11 p.m. and it showed the same. But again when I dialed to my no. at about 12.30 a.m. on 5th Dec 2011, then it showed that the no is "NOT REACHABLE". That means the thief had reinserted my SIM to the phone and this time he SWITCH OFF the phone and then he took out the SIM from the phone.

Also I set a PASSCODE (Phone lock Code) to phone before it was stolen. Maybe at night, the thief had tried to SWITCH ON my phone with other SIM card,but on startup when it asks for a PASSCODE then he might get confused and probably insert my SIM to my phone. When he found that the phone again asks for a PASSCODE then this time he SWITCH OFF the phone and removed the SIM card.

I've tried over net to trace the phone through its IMEI no. ,but I donot found any useful way to trace it.

Can you please suggest any WAY or WEBSITE or SOFTWARE or any tips to trace the lost phone.

I'm in real trouble guys and TECHENCLAVE is the only place where geeks crawling over that I know. So kindly help me. :huh:

Thanks.

^^ sad to hear that mate :( , but practically its next to impossible recovering a stolen phone.

You can either register a police case, and with some (read much) hassle, you might get that phone.

Another option is to contact the local phone repairing shops, since the phone is locked with password, it must be re-flashed with the phone software to make it usable with other SIM. If you have any contact with those guys, then you can give them the details of your phone so that they can contact you if the thief drops by.

From which place are you exactly.

First, if you have not filed an FIR, then do that first. Next, is to deactivate the number.

As far as recovering the phone, it is almost not going to happen until you have good police contacts. Also there is a Chennai police/cyber crime email id to which you can forward these details, but IDK, have never tried it. Have recieved emails saying that if you send the details of your IMEI etc, the thief can be caught.

Now, an OT question, is there any way to force these ISPs to make blacklisting of stolen IMEI possible? Its high time here, with the number of stolen phones.

I think blacklisting the IMEI number is possible but that should be done for all the operators. Also they won't just simply blacklist a number just because we are telling them, there would be some formality for that too.
may not be too practical.

Again a thief has an alternate method to change the IMEI number, then they above method would simply be nullified :(

About the cyber-crime division, once i sent some email, regarding some cheat case in E forum, but they never responded to my mails :(

It is all because of stupid TRAI. In 2005 there was a proposal to allow consumers to directly contact service providers with phone details to track their phones. It was rejected citing breech of privacy. Coming back to the topic, op you should file a fir as soon as possible. Insist on fir , not a "mobile lost complaint" . The mlc's are just for record and no action is taken on them. .

^ Privacy breach! Damn, the only privacy lost would be those of those who have lost their phone with their photos on it and those whose numbers/sms are also present.

A cop in Kerala Police told me Service Providers ignore tracking requests of stolen mobiles & cops dont have necessary equipment for doing it themselves.

^ Well mate, its sad that it happened. But yeah, its possible to trace a phone. One of my friend lost his n70 back in 2006. Though police is liable to help you, but they don't, untill and unless you've good contacts. But there are some "private tracers" who do this job in return of some money. My friend contacted them and got his phone back after 3-4 months :). The tracer charged 3k. And regarding phone block part, yeah you can get it done too. Firstly you need to lodge a FIR, then contact all the service providers with that FIR. Then they'll block the phone through IMEI tracing. Again you need contacts. But I haven't seen anybody doing it. Anyways I just hope you get your phone back. :)

PS- You should not share your IMEI and mobile number mate :).

Really sad to hear that bro. And +1 to JuGGa's comment. Don't share your phone number and IMEI number.

Always equip some kind of Find my Phone facility for your phone. :)

Back