How to set up an SMS Server??

krishnandu

Skilled
Hi Guys, I want to seet up an sms server(I hope I'm using the current term).

Well......in simple word I need exactly what 106by2 way2sms etc does.

1. So how would I set-up that??
2. And what are the requirements??
3. Would taking rent servers/gateways from Vodafone/Airtel/160by2 be a better solution rather than setting it up myself??
4. Main Question : What would be cost in both case.

I don't have any idea guys. So please comment and suggest and please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.

Thank you Prole73 and net.

Well...I want to know about both the way.....

How to setup an sms server myself??

Or Using another's gateway.

BTW how does this open-source servers like net suggested Kannel converts http in to sms?? Doesn't it require air space or satellite as vodafone or other providers use??

Two options as you already know

First:
Connect your mobile to PC .. install SMS Messaging Server (e.g. Send, receive and process SMS text messages on a Windows server with MS SQL) and start sending SMS :D
Cost will be according to your SMS plan

Second:
Get commercial SMS plan from service providers ... don't know about costing though but lot cheaper if you are sending in bulk

Difference is between reliability of service ... first one is limited by mobile as well as service provider doesn't have SLA to deliver SMS ... in second one some SLA is defined so sooner or later your SMS will be delivered

Well....Any other options?? 1st option is not for me because I don't want a number to be appear, I want something which we get as Ad's. Say when we get an sms from SBI we see the sender as SBI even if their number is not saved in our mobile. Is this possible in the second option??

Well....from a lil' googling I found SMS Gateway

What is this??

You can ask those bulk service providers to change the caller id to whatever you want.

If you buy the bulk sms service from an Indian company, they will add something like 'TM' or 'TX' or something of that sort as prefix to your preferred caller id.

But i have one from bulksms.com. Its quite expensive as compared to its indian counterpart. But here are its advantages:

1. SMS delivery is EXTREMELY fast. Its almost instant.

2. They don't add anything as prefix to your Caller id. So you use total 11 letters for your caller id.

3. They don't give a damn if the person has registered in DND!! The person will still get the sms even if he has registered in do not disturb!

You quite miss the above 3 advantages with an indian provider.

try smsgupshup or valuefirst. they provide these services. and all the other guys buy it from them. . the price they charge you will depend on the no of sms you purchase. they go as low as 7-10 p /sms if you buy a couple of lakh sms + . The integration part you will get to know from them

I have a few questions regarding SMS web integration for a 2-way SMS Service I want to provide to users on my website, thought should post here rather than start a new thread.

1) I need to develop an application/program code which processes the incoming messages and responds in a very specific manner, something that I could not really find on the internet. I would prefer hiring a professional rather than outsource the entire project, so who/what am I exactly looking for? (Qualifications,Skillset etc)

2)What would be the cost and time of developing such an interface/application (Not including the cost of website development)?

3)Initially for say about a 1000 users, I can get away with using GSM modems connected to my pc right?

1) You can use Asterisk for such a setup. Should not be very difficult considering you aren't looking for a dedicated IVR solution. Once the hardware is integrated, it should not be that tough to cover the software part

2) Not sure

3) If you are okay with a regular GSM number, then you can use a GSM modem. Unfortunately not many Asterisk certified GSM modems are available readily in the Indian market. There was one in Bangalore which had a 4 SIM GSM PCI card for about 38k. Try to get hold of a single SIM card if there is no use for 4 cards.

You consult the companies who help you to send bulk sms with heading LM or TM they charge as per quantity ranging from 5 paise to 1 paise per sms

Back