Linux How to recover XP Boot after Ubuntu installation

hi guys,

previously i was using ubuntu 7.10 on a seperate HDD running fine without a issue but currently have only one disk... now i want to install Ubuntu 8.10 on the same HDD which already running XP on C:\....

i want to have dual boot setup on a single HDD but i am worried of my XP installation might be unaccessible... coz i heard that if Ubuntu installed after XP it will take over the XP boot on MBR... but i dont wanna take any risk of my windows installation.... plz help me so that i can run dual boot safely and can recover mt XP if anything goes wrong

plz consider me as a real noob in open source

Thanks in advance

yes, u can recover. Just insert UR XP CD - > Repair - > command "fixmbr" now "fixboot". and space U allocated for ubuntu file system can be formatted back to NTFS using partition tools like Acronis, Norton Partition Magic etc.

to recover xp.. simply insert the xp installation cd.. go to repair.. and then later u will get an option of fix MBR..

it will rewrite the MBR..

SidhuPunjab said:
yes, u can recover. Just insert UR XP CD - > Repair - > command "fixmbr" now "fixboot". and space U allocated for ubuntu file system can be formatted back to NTFS using partition tools like Acronis, Norton Ghost etc.

sidhu thanks a lot for help... but i am not at all familier with acronis or ghost operation and also doesn't like to backup all d data of installtion drive...

like if anyhow ubuntu failed....

i put my XP original cd in driver and boot... then where i found that repair command ???? does it requies floppy ??? once tried asking for floppy....

also my file system is all NTFS and for Ubuntu i already allocate 30GB so if that partition goes wrong it much not an issue but my main concern is the C:\ drive which holds XP installtion....

Err. typo Norton Partition Magic not Ghost :p

1. Restart your computer with the Windows XP Setup disk in the CDROM drive.

2. If you are prompted to press a key to start the computer from CDROM, do so quickly. Otherwise it may try to boot from the hard drive.

3. After a few minutes, you'll see a prompt to press the R key to start the Recovery Console.

4. When Recovery Console starts, it will prompt you to enter a number corresponding to the Windows XP installation that you need to repair. In most cases, you'll enter "1" (which will be the only choice). If you press ENTER without typing a number, Recovery Console will quit and restart your computer.

5. Enter your Administrator password. If you don't enter the correct password, you cannot continue.

6. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type fixmbr and then verify that you want to proceed.

gamepagol said:
sidhu thanks a lot for help... but i am not at all familier with acronis or ghost operation and also doesn't like to backup all d data of installtion drive...

Thanks very much sidhu and spynic....:hap2: :hap2: :hap2:

will try tonight.... lets hope Ubuntu will load properly... i love Ubuntu.... and i love TE also.... always help me from critical condition....

if u install ubuntu after installing XP ......there will be no problem for accesing XP .
it will be a dual boot ........

n while installing ubuntu/linux u have to select on which drive you want to keep bootloader files it will be MBR (C:) OR root (\) .

if u format drive containing bootloaderfile u will not be able to see bootscreen .
supposly ....if u have bootloader on root & if u format that drive(containing linux) u will not be able to see any boot screen ..then u have to recover it.

so it all depends on bootloader file .

while intalling linux u have option even to select primary(main :m using wrong word) OS ........means u can give either linux OR XP first prefernce to load automatically .

^ thx Sudarsan.... i have successfully installed Ubuntu 8.10 with Dual Boot options but now its giving a strange problem in ubuntu... i have installed the Restricted Driver for nvidia 177.82 but the maximum screen resolution i got is 1024x768 whereas my monitor officially support 1600x1200... its looks badly large... plz tell me what should i do to get at least 1280x1024 resolution with latest nvidia driver... also i dn't know how to configure X-server for nvidia display... plz help

in your "system" menu then "preferences" (or "administration" maybe) there is a "screen resolution" item, select that and see if you can set the proper size there?

go to a terminal and type

sudo nvidia-settings

you can change resolution here and then you must make sure to save the settings to the xorg.conf from within the utility.

if you go to the standard nvidia settings icon in the panel, it won't allow you to save the settings... this is why you need to use sudo.

PiXeLpUsHeR said:
go to a terminal and type

sudo nvidia-settings

you can change resolution here and then you must make sure to save the settings to the xorg.conf from within the utility.

if you go to the standard nvidia settings icon in the panel, it won't allow you to save the settings... this is why you need to use sudo.

thanks PiXeLpUsHeR .......... now its working....

but after restart i hv to re-install the nvidia driver evrytime to make it back and then have to do sudo nvidia-settings to get back all resolution :mad: :mad: .... is there anything possible that i dnt have to run the driver and command line for getting the resolution of my choice....

how did you install the driver PM me and I will tell you what you need to do. I personally like to install the nvidia driver from nvidia ... not the restricted driver that comes with ubuntu... it is pretty easy, I can go over it with you.

Back